Author Topic: A little Sleeve Valve Engine  (Read 86274 times)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: A little Sleeve Valve Engine
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2010, 08:06:25 PM »
 :jaw:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2010, 08:19:40 AM »
Achim,
     I was thinking about your ignition issues, and I would suggest the reed switch failed due to current limits being exceeded, with a reed being particularly sensitive, as it has little area to dissipate heat from current, and a long "reed", for heat to generate.  I use a lot of used parts, salvaged, as I work on a limited budget, but many of the micro switches I run across are rated for constant currents of two amps or more, yet are perhaps five by seven by two millimeters rectangular, and would easily fit in the space you have your points set up.  It it'd help, I'd be happy to mail you a couple or three of these switches, if you intend to keep with the remote triggered transistor ignition conversion system.  I was thinking while looking at your pictures of your last work, the making of your points system, "if he can swag all that together in a matter of fact way, he just needs to slim them up a bit and he can add a centrifugal advance right behind the points setup.  I am a little amazed you just went to machine the parts and fit the home made points shoe-horned into that tiny space in front of the cylinder.  With you engine, and all the comments from others who have had similar problems with the hall effect switches, and the general discussion of ignitions, I think I'm going to look into this, and see what can be found, and best suited for this tiny application.  Small engines should have small, self contained ignition setups, just like their bigger counterparts.
    I really like your attitude of just stopping with a problem and then diving in head first and making something to fix it, and when that turns bad, diving in again without hesitation and trying something tried and true, while you work out another idea.  I got used to that attitude while in the Marines, and with yours, I think you'd have made a good Marine.  Have you ever considered building a radial sleeve valve engine?  Just curious - Mad Jack  :smart: :coffee:

Offline agmachado

• São Paulo/SP
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2010, 04:16:26 PM »
Very Cool !!!

Congratulations from Brazil!!!!

Offline Joachim Steinke

• metallmodellbau.de
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2010, 07:19:14 PM »
Hello to all,

sorry for my really long absence on writing here, so today I have to show a couple of new photos for compensation …ha ha ha…..

In the mean time the little engine was completed with a more presentable motor stand

a petrol tank carrying a glass cylinder as midsection

a nice propeller (for use on festive days only) made from maple and Swiss pear wood

and last but not least a somewhat more sophisticated carburator.

including a small float chamber.

And two new videos here:

First test runs of the new carb in front of my red sofa…..(was too inpatient for packing the engine and driving to the countryside….ha ha ha….):

http://pl-hi.de/JST/SLVE/SLVE_RUNNING_CARB_II_02.mpg

And an outside run at 8thousand rpm with some close-up views of the busy working breaker points:

http://pl-hi.de/JST/SLVE/SLVE_RUNNING_Kontakt.mpg

As you can see (and hear), throttle response is really spontaneous with the new carb, and throttling is now longer critical, the idle speed is always steady down to 1500 rpm ore even lower.

Good by from Achim

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2010, 07:25:27 PM »
Wow! Must wipe the drool off of my keyboard. That is amazing looking.  :bow: :bow: :bow:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2010, 02:11:44 PM »
After to agree with Eric. Amazing looking engine.

I didn't get any sound though. How about you Eric?

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline cidrontmg

« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2010, 02:45:02 PM »
Bernd, you might want to first d/l the videos to your machine, then use Media Player Classic (if you don´t have it, it´s a free d/l from http://www.cccp-project.net/  and many other sites. 6 Mb. They call it there "Combined Community Codec Pack", it includes a lot of codecs, and some 3 video players) to watch. It will play most any video file, with all features. Including mpg.
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2010, 02:53:15 PM »
WOW  :jaw: that is a thing of beauty
Jason

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2010, 08:51:28 AM »
Achim, you cheated!!  You went from having a bit of ignition trouble with your micro switches, to a completed engine with a float carburetor, a glass fuel tank, and a beautiful mount, and prop, all without showing one bit to your mates on line, how could you?  Did you find a new love who also happens to be a machinist?  Does she cook and make you happy as well?  All joking aside, you've done a major jump from where you left off, to the beautiful piece of equipment you have before us now.  I was wondering if you would end up with a float type carburetor, in the end, they are always the best for good running, including variable speed that is reliable.  You have fine taste with wood and metal and combining the two for beauty, and your penchant for offsetting brass with aluminum and offsetting aluminum with brass does you proud, it really makes a fine looking engine and draws the eye to it immediately.  Having just downloaded your two videos, I have to say it is one of the best sounding model engines I've ever heard.  I give credit for that to the float carburetor, and the full control you've built into it, giving the engine good mixture control across the rpm band.  A fine finish to an inspiring project, I am in personal awe  :jaw: :bugeye: :bow: mad jack

Offline AndreasL

« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2010, 07:01:25 PM »
My first post ever at this forums, but what a thread to "start at"!

Except all droped yaws and well deserved compliments by others I must add that your website really inspired me to "get started for real" in my own shop. To be honest, I am very spoiled I think when it comes to space, machines (even if old) etc. I just have to take my time to start somewhere. And what can be better then start with tools and equipment, making it work as intended or maybe even better.  :dremel:

Thanks for sharing and inspire all of us.  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 02:06:41 AM by AndreasL »

Offline winklmj

« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2010, 09:59:13 PM »
Very nice!!  :thumbup: :headbang: :bow:
Mike

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2010, 12:16:43 PM »
By the way, Achim, did anyone tell you, your engine runs backwards?  I am assuming the propeller is set up as a normal aircraft prop, for pulling, and not as a pusher prop.  Engines are always supposed to run clockwise from the pilot's perspective, unless there are two engines and one is counter-rotating.  I had to take a look at your log again, just to get a better look at the extremely fine work you did on that carburetor.  That is a very touchy piece, and you've done a lot of very fine work, I envy your drawings and skill with CAD, while I still work with a pencil in sketches. :bugeye: :jaw: :bow: mad jack

Offline Joachim Steinke

• metallmodellbau.de
« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2010, 06:02:55 PM »
Many thanks for your compliments and appreciation to all of you.

And Jack, no I don’t have a new love who demands my attention….ha ha ha….but the time I can spend for my hobby is fluctuating, mostly depending on the utilisation in the job. And writing articles in several forums is part of my hobby activities also, but I need time or in other words leisure to do this (especially writing in the English ones), otherwise it’s no real fun to me. That’s the reason for some pauses from time to time, in handicraft work and in writing (and sometimes answering) as well. I am sorry for that, but I promise to come back with my next project.

And yes, the engine is running backwards, backwards if the driving direction of conventional RC plane engines is the criteria of the evaluation. My very first plan was to run the motor with a flywheel only, the idea of using a propeller instead came not before the cylinder and port design was already finished. So the direction was determined and I had to look for a left turning propeller, but a suitable version (I need a relative big midsection to have a way to the central collet nut) was hard to find on the market and I had to make my own ones.

Achim

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2010, 04:30:42 AM »
 :bugeye:  :jaw:  :bow:  :thumbup:

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2010, 10:36:03 AM »
Hi Achim, you sound like a busy man, you must be happy.  I may steal some of your thoughts on carburetion when it is time for a carburetor for my radial, of all the options I've looked at, none is as independent from the fuel supply as a float carb is, and I'm just going to run it, not fly it.  If it has enough power, I might use it to push a 14 foot boat up the creek I live on, but I don't know about that yet.  That is probably the finest carburetor I've ever seen built for a model engine, the equal to a comercial one, yet far more beautiful, and of course, hand made.  You truly have set a standard for a lot of aspects of model engine building, you have a gorgeous finished engine, and it runs great.  I wish we were neighbors, and could visit. :jaw: :bow: mad jack

Offline Mad_Grasshopper

• Faceting Machine
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2010, 05:08:27 PM »
Greetings,

Nice engine! I must agree that the carb looks fabulous.  :clap:

VW based engine conversions turn the same way as yours.
http://www.aeroconversions.com/products/aerovee/index.html

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2010, 12:18:27 PM »
Achim,  I just wanted you to know that comment about rotating backwards is just the worst thing I could find regarding your engine, so I had to throw it in.  The man who sells the plans and some of the parts for the radial engine I'm building is working on plans for a sleeve valve radial engine, and has been for a few years, he shows where he is on the projects on his website, ageless engines, if you wanted to check it out.  If I'm not mistaken, it's a scale model of a Bristol engine which was run in some aircraft during the war.  What did you end up using for a spark plug, and how is it working out for you? :poke: mad jack