Author Topic: Another Swinging Threading Tool  (Read 36537 times)

Offline 75Plus

Re: Another Swinging Threading Tool
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2009, 10:13:03 AM »
They are, wonder how much it would work out with shipping etc to UK!

Nick, On their home page they invite emails from outside the US so give them a shout. Could be a good savings at the sale price. They are selling a complete QC units for about half what the nearest competition is asking.

I have ordered a couple of the holders to attempt a mod. I believe, by using a 1/4" tool, I will be able to go low enough and still have enough floor thickness. I will start a new thread if it appears that it is feasible.

Joe

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 10:37:37 AM »
Ha, nice one John, does it work  :dremel:

I have been wondering just how simple this coud be made? It's all well and good doing loads of fancy shapes and over complicated engineering etc.

But what about just the tool as John has done, a flat plate with a bolt sticking out instead of the bottom ledge?
The bolt head could also act as the keyway and if the threads are bruised on the plate the bolt could be adjusted.

With no bottom ledge swarf wouldn't be an issues either, not that it seems to be anyway.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 12:03:07 PM »
Ha, nice one John, does it work  :dremel:

Finished thread,

John S.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 09:34:44 AM by John Stevenson »
John Stevenson

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2009, 12:40:16 PM »
Nowt wrong with that, John, judging by your result  :thumbup:. It won't do LH threads, but speaking for myself, 95% or more of those I cut are RH.

Being pedantic, there's positive rake on your tool, which will affect the thread angle, though only very slightly.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2009, 01:39:44 PM »
Nowt wrong with that, John, judging by your result  :thumbup:. It won't do LH threads, but speaking for myself, 95% or more of those I cut are RH.

Being pedantic, there's positive rake on your tool, which will affect the thread angle, though only very slightly.

Andy

Why won't it do LH ?

The tool started life as a paring tool and I accurately marked the angles out with my trusty felt pit and took the positive rake into account when i was following the felt tip lines.

John s.
John Stevenson

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2009, 02:05:04 PM »
John S: Why won't it do LH ?

I was thinking that its only lateral support near the business end was on one side (the face of the fixed part), which will be fine for RH threading. But on LH threads, it will tend to be pushed to the left (from the operator's viewpoint), where the side support is from the nut and washer, a long way from the tooltip and perhaps thus subject to undue leverage. Or have I missed something (I expect I have!). Perhaps there's a tenon hidden beneath.

Andy
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 02:14:15 PM by andyf »
Sale, Cheshire

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2009, 03:18:46 PM »
Excellent project Darren and I can see one of those lying in the scrap box just waiting to be discovered. :coffee:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2009, 06:01:19 PM »
Nice to see it worked for you John and to see they needn't be anything complicated.

Does your lathe reverse without stopping ? What is it?

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2009, 07:37:31 PM »
Darren,
It's a TOS 14" swing x 40 BC and is fitted with forward and reverse clutches with a brake in neutral. You can bang it straight from forward to reverse with no problems which makes it ideal for this type of threading.

It's made to leave the 1/2 nuts enganged as reverse is 1 1/3 times faster than forward to save time going back, nice machine.

Did a LH thread tonight, same pitch, 2mm again no problems in fact it even easier as you are running away from the chuck.

Video here:-  

Finished thread.

John S.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 09:33:11 AM by John Stevenson »
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2009, 08:29:01 PM »
Well I think that demonstrates it rather well, seemed to be no pulling there on the left handers  :clap:

Thanks for taking the time to do the vid  :thumbup:

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2009, 03:13:27 AM »
Well, I can't argue with that, John :bow:. I'm happy to be proved wrong, but sorry if you've had to waste any steel in doing so. It certainly simplifies the design.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2009, 05:45:09 AM »
Andy,
No problem and nothing wasted as I wanted to do this to use and not just as an exercise.
When threading I always leave the half nuts in and reverse the machine I find this far faster than waiting for the dial and making mistakes.

The fact you can put the next cut on whilst it's going back also saves time and because the infeed is always in the same direction you don't have to worry about backlash. For me it's a plus so any trials are just that.

I could see it being a problem for many who have machines that can't reverse easily and the screwed chuck problem is bound to raise it's head but I reckon that is overrated.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2009, 08:06:48 AM »
Considering how simple these have been demonstrated to be, I'm surprised I've not seen them available commercially.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2009, 10:33:06 AM »
It just needs someone to come up with an idea .... I'm amazed this didn't happen 100yrs ago  :dremel:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2009, 11:01:39 AM »
Well, my fear of to much backlash has been cured with that vid.

Thanks John.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2009, 07:09:10 PM »
I wasn't going to bother posting this as I've already posted something similar before ... but I had a slight mishap with a tool that I wanted to share so here goes ...

It's the first real threading job with the new swinging tool so I'll stick it on this thread.

All was going well, just taken the first scoring pass to check I had the right thread settings. 5/16x18 in this case. I didn't have a die so thought I'd let the lathe do it.

Then disaster, dialled in another 0.05mm/0.002" for the next pass and it took the tip off my brand spanking new carbide threading tool  :doh:

I couldn't believe it, I thought these brazed toosl were supposed to be tougher than the insert type  :scratch: But this one gave up just by looking at the job.

So, out with a stick of HSS and I ground both ends. One to 60deg and the other to 55.

Got to give HSS one thing, it sure does take some abuse

Anyway this is what I was making ...  :dremel:

« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 07:17:10 PM by Darren »

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2009, 08:54:57 AM »
Nice save Darren.

I wonder if the brazing heat weakened the carbide tool?

At .002" cut it shouldn't have broken like that. Makes me wonder if it was cracked to begin with. Maybe dropped or hit with something else?

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Ned Ludd

« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2009, 10:54:20 AM »
Hi Darren,
You must remember there are cheap and nasty Carbides, just like everything else these days. :( and unfortunately price is no criteria for judging cheap and nastiness. :( :(
Merry Christmas to all Modders mad or otherwise.
Ned Ludd
I know enough to do what I do, but the more I know the more I can do!

Leafy suburbs of NW London

Offline Twmaster

« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2009, 10:26:13 PM »
Plans for this? I'm impressed enough to feel confident as somebody that's never done single point thread cutting that even -I- can do this! Now that you gents have refined this some I'm interested in making one.
Mike N

I break stuff.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2009, 06:34:37 AM »
Plans for this?

Plans ???
No need, it's very simple, the tool or holder has to swing with minimal play, it's located on some form of key or dowel to stop it twisting.
If someone was to publish plans chances are it wouldn't fit your toolholder / lathe anyway.

Sorry to sound harsh but you have you stand on your own two feet and wing it otherwise you will want you hand holding on every exercise.
Between this post and Bog's original one there are enough pictures to explain everything.

If you get stuck ask, people will think better of you for trying in the first place.

John S.
John Stevenson

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2009, 01:15:07 PM »
harsh  ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  Just a bit  John

Rob

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2009, 07:17:39 PM »
same old.....yet new members still join.

Nice work Darren. Looks excellent and I totally missed this thread, thing I confused it with another. Looking good and may have persuaded me to try one.

Chris

Offline Twmaster

« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2009, 10:59:02 PM »
Sorry I asked....

Buh bye.

Mike N

I break stuff.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2009, 02:08:48 AM »
Yea, don`t be sorry you asked. Was certainly a valid question... however quite a few of the chaps on here are so good that stuff is made without plans and just from their understanding. The best you can do at times is use these threads as plans but I often would get lost without anything exact to follow.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2009, 06:46:46 AM »
No come on it wasn't said nastily or meant derogatory at all.

Perhaps it didn't come over  right but if I had sat down and drawn some drawings / sketches up they would not have been any use to ANYONE on this board.

For a start my toolholder is unique as it's home made so you would have had to look at the pics and alter that part to suit your machine.
Secondly the tool used was probably too big to fit on may of the hobby lathes on this forum so that would have had to be altered by looking at the pictures, seeing how it was fastened, then seeing where you could use the same method.

The bottom keep plate is also unique to the type of holder / size of assembly so wouldn't be of use either.

So you have three part assembly drawings that are no use. What is of use for you to work out what will fit your machine are the pictures showing how it fits which are there.

This also applies to the designs that Bog's and Darren made, they were made to suit what they had handy.

The remarks were not meant nastily but more a way to get people to think for themselves, there are only 3 or 4 parts to this, what happens later when you want to make something a little more complicated?

Give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach him to fish and he eats for life.

John S.
John Stevenson