Author Topic: hi from the IOM  (Read 3640 times)

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
hi from the IOM
« on: December 20, 2009, 12:42:20 PM »
Based in the Isle of Man - which is NOT part of the UK  :hammer: although had to pick UK when registering on the board (its a bit like asking Aussies or Canadians to register as English ! ).  Have watched & learnt from the board for a while, but only just joined now ....

By original training I am a Physicist who was led astray by asking "where do these least-squares-fit punched cards go to?"; thereafter main career was in electronics and IT, culminating in leading the IT for a global Ship Manager for a number of years; then made redundant after an acquisition led to "internal outsourcing".  Still do some consultancy for the shipping industry, but have turned other interests in a small business : as a reformed rally-driver, and long-term rally results organiser, I have an interest in four-wheeled sport; and, coming from the land of the TT, whilst not a rider, I do have some previous interest in two-wheeled sports.  

These now combined with my electronics background to develop systems for TV houses to use for filming motorsports - both on-board and trackside. First range of systems were for on-screen virtual dashboards; now also produce a range of systems & components for the onboard video recording and "kerbcams".  Systems used for the like of the IOM TT & Northwest 200, British Rally Championship, Powerboat P1; ALMS across the pond; and private filming for F1 teams etc.   As a result of manufacturing more bespoke "we need it tomorrow" kit, as well as the electronics & software, have had to tool-up to manufacture housings, bracketry etc. - so manual & CNC milling machines (& a recent "Chester Cub 630" manual lathe for making fixtures & fittings) - some components we machine are Acetal but many are Aluminium, hence also an Anodising line; and the engineering and anodising resources are also used for third-party work as well.

Quite a lot of what we do, although publicly broadcast, we don't have the rights to publish ourselves .....  but before I get the "this needs pictures" feedback, below are a couple of low-res screen grabs from our early on-screen telemetry systems (one from the nosecone of a race car and the other from on a bike)

Dave
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 12:45:54 PM by DMIOM »

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
Re: hi from the IOM
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 01:29:25 PM »
Hi there Dave  :wave: welcome to the club. Glad to see you posted some pics, most of us have difficulty reading so pics are the way to get the message across.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 02:11:12 PM »
Nice pictures. IOM is one of the places I plan on going before I die... to catch the bike races. Sorry about the UK part... not my call, it is an add-on that some else in the developer industry for this BBS made.

Anyway, welcome to the collective :borg:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 05:12:49 PM »
Dave

Welcome to MadModder. That is quite an impressive background that you have. The technology in video recording and playback has certainly risen to new heights in recent years. I wonder where it will go in the future. Maybe now we will have a chance to find out. Not to worry about the pictures, I am sure that you will post what you can when applicable. We can certainly understand about copyrights and permissions. We look forward to your future posts.  :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 05:21:56 PM »
Again welcome to the collective Dave.  :borg:

Thanks for posting such an interesting introduction. I'm learning that there are a lot of different ways to be employed out there. To bad I'm reitred. Naw, not really.

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 02:27:16 AM »
Welcome Dave!

From another "Dave" who spent very many happy days at TT`s gone by. (Hailwood/ Ago 1967).  :D

Welcome to the collective...... Join in...... Enjoy!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline RDL

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 06:54:12 PM »
Based in the Isle of Man - which is NOT part of the UK   ...  below are a couple of low-res screen grabs from our early on-screen telemetry systems (one from the nosecone of a race car and the other from on a bike)
Dave

Gee, I've never opened up my motorcycle in town.  They take the bike away here if you do that on the highway I wonder what they would do in town?

Raymond