Author Topic: Paypal negative balance - can they take it? number 2  (Read 23640 times)

Offline tel

Re: Paypal negative balance - can they take it? number 2
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2010, 01:30:44 PM »
Here's another example - this seller has several small lots listed, all with the same postage quoted. On his listings he claims that he does not mark up the postage costs, just plugs the figures in to ebay, if that is the case he must be doing something horribly wrong.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2010, 02:00:44 PM »
It's just the sellers way of saying he won't ship to AU, but if you still insist on bidding then this is what it will cost you because I'm fed up of people bidding on my items and then not paying for them due to postage costs.

I'm with the seller on this one, sorry.

I recently listed a non descript tea pot, a buyer from AU bid and won it for £10 despite I stated no overseas bidders.
The shipping was a genuine £80 and of course the the buyer refused to pay. It simply was not worth it for them.
They asked for a surface shipping quote which would have been a fraction of the price. I refused as PayPay give you 10 days to get the goods to the buyer or they can make a claim for non receipt, get all the funds returned and the goods are still delivered some weeks later.

Blame PayPal, not the seller ... sellers are just plain fed up with being ripped off.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2010, 02:05:26 PM »
“It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.”

- Caron de Beaumarchais

For all the Yanks ..... the quote is humour .....  ::)
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline tel

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2010, 03:29:46 AM »
Nah, that won't wash either Darren, the seller has the option of choosing just where he/she/it is prepared to post to. If you don't want to post to Australian why not just say so instead of listing 'worldwide'

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2010, 04:25:29 AM »
Sorry Tel.

It's common practise if you don't believe it ...

Consider this. the seller is there to sell, and no doubt at the highest price. Then ask yourself why he would cut off a large section of the market and reduce possible profit?

Cos shipping to AU is a PIA. The shipping quote is quite possibly correct.

I just got a quote for a 15x10x10cm 2Kg box to send to AU .... cheapest is £45.83 double that aprox for US$ and your seller seems about right?

http://www.interparcel.com/quote/

Don't complain to us because you live in the middle of nowhere ... you could always move  :lol:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 04:40:53 AM by Darren »

Offline tel

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2010, 04:48:48 AM »
I still don't buy it. I get stuff in from the UK on a pretty regular basis and the postage, while not exactly cheap, is still quite reasonable, it seems to be only the US that has gone completely overboard with it.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2010, 04:51:56 AM »
Well that was the cheapest quote I could find for a similar package ... why don't you have a search and see if you can come up with something better and let us know?

It might just help everyone if you find it ...  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 04:53:40 AM by Darren »

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2010, 06:06:52 AM »
Sorry Tel.

It's common practise if you don't believe it ...

Consider this. the seller is there to sell, and no doubt at the highest price. Then ask yourself why he would cut off a large section of the market and reduce possible profit?

Cos shipping to AU is a PIA. The shipping quote is quite possibly correct.

I just got a quote for a 15x10x10cm 2Kg box to send to AU .... cheapest is £45.83 double that aprox for US$ and your seller seems about right?

http://www.interparcel.com/quote/

Don't complain to us because you live in the middle of nowhere ... you could always move  :lol:

Darren

I used Royal Mail to NZ late Nov. to send a small Jiffy Bag. .. Got there in 6 working days. £6.50ish.

Dialled in 2kg to Oz and got ...

http://sg.royalmail.com/portal/rm/PriceFinderResults?pageId=pc_sltc_rm_results&catId=23500532&keyname=rmPriceFinderResults&_DARGS=/portal/rmgroup/apps/templates/html/rm/searchAgain.jsp

Mine was <500g Small Package rate Air Mail

Not tracked, so probably no good for compliance with Screwbay/Paypal directives & edicts ?

Dave BC
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 06:22:43 AM by Bluechip »
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

GrahamC

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2010, 08:29:17 AM »

Darren

I used Royal Mail to NZ late Nov. to send a small Jiffy Bag. .. Got there in 6 working days. £6.50ish.

Dialled in 2kg to Oz and got ...

http://sg.royalmail.com/portal/rm/PriceFinderResults?pageId=pc_sltc_rm_results&catId=23500532&keyname=rmPriceFinderResults&_DARGS=/portal/rmgroup/apps/templates/html/rm/searchAgain.jsp

Mine was <500g Small Package rate Air Mail

Not tracked, so probably no good for compliance with Screwbay/Paypal directives & edicts ?

Dave BC

Dave's last comment about "not tracked" is the key when it comes to some of these outrageous postage costs.  May eBay sellers are trying to cover themselves by choosing or specifiying postage methods that can be tracked. Individuals who have no recourse in being able to claim losses as business expense deductions are more apt to try and cover themselves in this manner. Many simply do not know how to search for postage costs on the USPS web site (or Canada Post's) and are often mislead into stating and choosing higher priced methods - I find these web sites rather confusing and misleading and these businesses have no desire to steer you to less expensive service when you yourself can choose a more expensive one and be happy that you where part of the selection service (gives the customer a warm and fuzzy feeling).

The Post Office is getting into the business of selling services (just like the phone company) even though these services being "value added" appear to add value but in reality cost nothing more on their part but they can bring in more $$ and appear to be providing a better service all the while giving the consumer "a better shopping experience".

I have found, when asked, all to a one ebay seller that I have dealt with will use a less expensive USPS service. Often times they are simply unaware and have simply just stated the most obvious. If they are not willing, I look elsewhere.

cheers, Graham in Ottawa Canada

I

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2010, 09:22:35 AM »
Dave, there is a huge difference between "Small Packet" and parcel post.

Perhaps some are getting confused between the two?

There is no tracking as Graham points out. Also you should be aware that there is no tracking with any Post Office service that meets PayPals requirements.

Only a fool would use the PO these days.

It's the same old story, you get exactly what you pay for. If it's cheap then you really should be asking yourself why?

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 09:29:42 AM »
I put it to you this way ....

You can argue for cheap postal services all you wish ... but any seller that uses any service that does not meet the 10 day delivery deadline and ONLINE tracking is leaving themselves wide open to abuse.

You can get cheap delivery, just tell the seller you won't pay with PayPal and they will prob be happy to send surface or any other way that meets your needs at a lower cost.

Use PayPal and expect to be charged for a dearer delivery service, in some cases much dearer.

Once you understand the whys and wherefores then maybe you can stop blaming the sellers for high postage costs. It's not their fault.

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2010, 10:38:04 AM »
Darren

This fool has used the PO for sending and ordering stuff probably more than 100 times in the last 8 yrs, NOTHING has ever gone AWOL.

Probably because I don't have stuff from Ebay or have any dealings with Paypal. I have virtually no use for either. It seems to be a convoluted and inconvenient way of doing something simple that mankind successfully did for thousands of years before Ebay/Paypal existed. ie Trade!

Last March I wanted some bits for a microscope, found them at £140, supplier insisted I open a Paypal account and pay with that. B****cks!
Trawled around a bit, and got the same items, from another suppliers site, not Ebay, for £112. Ordered 2pm Tues. Arrived 10am Thurs. Royal Mail.

Good enough for me .. if someone insists on making my life difficult with Paypal or some other crap, I go elsewhere. If they want to send paying customers away, that's their business decision! Actually, I should be grateful to Paypal, saved me £28  :D

Dave BC

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2010, 10:47:25 AM »
Sorry Dave it did occur to me what I said after the fact  :doh:

I was not of course referring to yourself, I was referring to Ebay sellers. And as you pointed out you do not use PayPal so in that case you have actually made my case stronger.

That is, it's funny how so many, and it is many, parcels go missing when using the Post Office and PayPal together.

As you rightly say, you have used the Post Office many times with not a single parcel going missing when paying for items by another means.

But you have taken this out of context now, we were talking about postage for items on Ebay.

I rest my case, you can argue all you like, but if you can't see the difference then I can't help you any further.

Missing parcels have absolutely nothing to do with whatever delivery company you use, it's down to how the goods where paid for and where they where purchased from.

Talk about  :bang:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 11:25:55 AM by Darren »

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2010, 11:22:05 AM »
Darren

No need to apologise , I knew before you did   :lol:

I was actually trying to reinforce your point .. not very well though!

If you buy anything, whether Ebay sourced or not, Paypal is a clumsy, ill thought out 'solution' to a problem that hardly existed until Paypal caused it to exist.

It appears some suppliers require Paypal (exclusively) from any customer. Not just from Ebay ..

Why ?

I have a credit card, debit card, cheques, even a wretched postal order if they want.
They have served me well enough for the last 50 yrs. So why Paypal?
I need another way to transfer money like I need a Sunday Best a***hole.

Dave BC

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2010, 11:24:36 AM »
I often use my banks own online service for making payments, and requesting it.

These days it's easier that setting up a PayPal acc and a whole lot safer for a whole load of reasons.

In all honesty there is no need to use PayPal at all. Bank to Bank transactions can be done online and are instant. Even between countries and currencies.

The sender needs no more than what is printed on your cheques/checks ..

Paypal has done nothing more than make the process complicated, expensive and fraught with booby traps for anyone using their system.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 11:29:11 AM by Darren »

Offline tel

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2010, 01:36:11 PM »
Another shining example

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2010, 07:24:17 AM »
You are not going to believe this .... well maybe you will ..  :doh:

I have won two Ebay auctions from a chap in Germany for some lathe tooling. I need to contact him regarding postage costs ....

Except Ebay have changed the rules again and in the interest of security contact is blocked .... WTF ... I have no way to communicate with the seller now the bidding is over ... all you get is Ebays suggested questions with automated answers, which of course none apply ..

Talk about going down the pan .... I have no idea what to do now ....  :scratch:

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »
No it's still there you need to look.
I have contacted a guy this morning over some bits bought off Ebay.
Had no trouble finding the message box, Click ask seller a question and there is a link in there.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2010, 08:34:50 AM »
Hi John, when I click "ask the seller a question" all I get is this

Your purchase

Q: Where is my item?
A: You need to pay for your item before it can be shipped to you.

Q:How do I cancel my purchase?
A:You can't retract a purchase. Once you confirm your purchase, you are obliged to pay the seller. As a general rule, you also can't cancel a bid. Once you place a bid, you agree to pay for the item if you're the winning bidder.Under certain conditions you may be able to retract your bid.If you are buying from a business seller, most purchases are covered under the Distance Selling Regulations, which give consumer buyers the right to cancel the purchase after they receive the item.

There is nothing to click to go any further ?

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2010, 11:11:15 AM »
Darren

Try to go to his ME-Page you know the one that tells you all about the guy, then you can send him a message that way.

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2010, 12:16:05 PM »
Hi Anthony,

Good idea ... and it worked, message now sent ....  :thumbup:

Still can't do it from the sale though .....

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2010, 02:01:55 PM »
Darren,
This is what i get.

Contact the seller is in purple and leads to a dialog box.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2010, 02:11:24 PM »
Handy that 7 snipping tool isn't it, trouble is my 7 install died so I'm in Vista at the mo or I'd show you what I get.

When I expand "where is my item" this is all that shows ....

Where is my item?
You need to pay for your item before it can be shipped to you.

Seems for some reason we are getting different messages  :scratch: Maybe because I have yet to pay (that's why I need to contact the seller) and you have paid  :scratch:

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2010, 02:34:23 PM »
Hi John, when I click "ask the seller a question" all I get is this

Your purchase

Q: Where is my item?
A: You need to pay for your item before it can be shipped to you.

Q:How do I cancel my purchase?
A:You can't retract a purchase. Once you confirm your purchase,.....

There is nothing to click to go any further ?

I too was flummoxed by that.

As well as what John said (which wasn't there for me either, or I too didn't spot at first), there is another button.

When you look at that list, it just ends with a screen-full or more of white page BUT if you keep on scrolling down you then come to a sheepish looking line at the bottom that says "Can't find an answer - Contact the Seller"

Dave
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 02:38:09 PM by DMIOM »

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2010, 02:40:41 PM »
By jove the man's right ...!! Give him a  :ddb: or two  :ddb: :ddb:

The questions begs .... what the heck is it doing all the way down there and more importantly I wanna know what made Dave look  :)