Author Topic: Eric sent me!  (Read 10913 times)

Kludge

Eric sent me!
« on: July 23, 2008, 10:10:12 AM »
Honest, he did!  He was very explicit about my coming here and spreading the insanity, not that I don't have plenty to spread. 

I could duplicate my intro at HMEM or create a new one of equally epic proportions.  Let's try the latter.

Let's see ... 63; 100% disabled vet living on a VA pension; father of the sweetest, most precious, most wonderful, most beautiful, most loved [and so on - trust me, I can go on for hours!] daughter in the universe; retired nondenominational minister; ex- too many things to count (some of which NO one will ever get me drunk enough to admit to) but at least I tried them all; all around generally insane person with the paperwork to prove it.

Working on really small things is fun.  I mean, yeah, being able to see what I'm doing would be nice but where's the challenge in that?  Anyway, my shop (when I wrestle it back from Murphy) has in it three watchmaker's lathes (one each 6, 8 and 10mm), a Unimat SL-1000 and a Taig with the extra kit to make it into a horizontal mill.  There's also a watchmaker's drill press and hand tools that are size appropriate to all this.  And there's a micro-welder that's pretty cool ... except when it's not supposed to be, of course. 

On the electronics side, I can go from vacuum tubes down to SMDs with equal clumsiness which I think is pretty nifty.  Well, not the clumsy part but the rest is.  (In one of my future planned projects I hope to combine the two by finding a really truly dead 211 [VT-4C] or something of similar size and very carefully removing the envelope so I can install a SMD low power transmitter inside.) 

What got me overhauling my shop was Noelle.  She has MS and a host of other autoimmune disorders, and needs something to distract her from the ever increasing pain & weakness.  She loves Daddy-made things and, true to daughters worldwide, has me well and truly twisted around her little finger.  I love making things for her which is part of my retaliatory merciless spoilage.  Anyway, the idea is to make Noelle-machines that accomplish no useful task except to help redirect her thoughts and, hopefully, let her smile even if for only a little while.  For reasons I don't want to get into here, we can't be together (She's in Iowa, 3500 miles away) so this is one way she can have Daddy close even though we're physically apart.

Oh, and I have a particular fondness for Steampunk, though my take is slightly different ... not that it makes much difference since there are very few hard & fast rules as to precisely what Steampunk is anyway.  (I took my "world" a bit further than usual by going ever so slightly into the geopolitics et al and one of these days I'll post it on my blog.  Or one of them.

So there it is.  The short version of me.  More or less.  Subject to change without prior notification.

Best regards,

Kludge

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Eric sent me!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 11:07:17 AM »
Hey Kludge!

Glad you came over. We are a sister board to HMEM and try to cover all the other hobbies many of us have that don't fit in over there.

I think it is wonderful that you make things for your daughter. I have a suggestion for a project for her:

Jar of Fireflys

I have made a few of them for gifts and they are pretty neat. It does require the ability to load code onto an amtel chip... I can help with that for anyone here.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 04:10:33 PM »
Hey, Thats neat:o) How hard is it to program one of those whatsits?

Wes
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 04:22:44 PM »
Hey, Thats neat:o) How hard is it to program one of those whatsits?

Wes

Not too difficult if you have a programmer. I can program one and send it to you.

They are really neat. Gave them as presents one year. Everyone loves them. I have some cool 'containers' instead of the mason jars that I got from Ikea for cheap... They look really cool.

Eric
Science is fun.

Kludge

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 04:26:43 PM »
Hi, Eric,

Glad you came over. We are a sister board to HMEM and try to cover all the other hobbies many of us have that don't fit in over there.

I think it is wonderful that you make things for your daughter. I have a suggestion for a project for her:

Jar of Fireflys

I have made a few of them for gifts and they are pretty neat. It does require the ability to load code onto an amtel chip... I can help with that for anyone here.

How did that Instructable get past me?  I cruise there and Hack-a-Day on a semi-irregular basis.  It's perfect for her, country girl she is.  Thank you!

I may need some help with the Amtel chip though.  I haven't done any bit bashing for ... well, Noah was a cabin boy when we fat fingered machine code into front panels or keypads ... and we did a bit of on the fly assembly in the process.   The doctors assure me the *twitch* from those days will pass, though I'm not sure how we'll separate that *twitch* from all the rest brought on by a checkered and what some have called a "colorful" past.  I'm not entirely sure what that means.

Noelle is my life.  We are father/daughter, and we are best friends and confidantes.  No father could ever be anywhere near as fortunate as I am and I thank God every day for bringing her into my life.  I will do anything within my realm to make her life as comfortable as possible.   And, yes, I do Doting Daddy quite well.  :)

I used to make microbots - BEAM bots with my own twist - but her vision has deteriorated to the point she can't enjoy them as much anymore.  Besides, she got a dog in the meantime and he tried to eat one.  So now the rule is that new toys and the needed padding can fit a Priority flat rate "shoebox" but not be any bigger.  Yogi, who's fully grown at 6.5 pounds, will probably find the boxes entertaining since they're easily Yogi-sized and provide somewhere for him to play hide and seek.  That way everyone's happy.

By the way, I'm also a ham radio operator so you might see some highly unusual telegraph keys here as well.  As well as a few other things.  :)

Best regards,

Kludge

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 04:54:10 PM »
I can program a chip for you and send it out. It is easier for me to do it on the board that is required for the project... so you would just need everything else. The LEDs and resistors. I have a few ICs and boards lying about. If you want to do this project, let me know and PM me an address and I will get it out to you. You too Wes... lemme know if you want one.

Eric
Science is fun.

Kludge

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 06:01:45 AM »
I can program a chip for you and send it out.

This sounds like a plan.  Let me get my thoughts organized (something around here has to be!) and find an appropriate jar.  I know I've got a few laying about, I just don't remember where I put them.  One was supposed to be for a snow globe, I think.  It certainly looked like one when last I saw it. 

LEDs and resistors I have or can get.  They're easy.  I can even handle SMD LEDs and resistors.  (I better be able to; one of the pending projects is a DDS VFO which is pretty much all SMD.  Actually several are - all copies of the same device.) 

Ah, Noelle, my sweet Angel ... what Daddy's gonna make for you soon enough!  :)

Thank you, Eric.

BEst regards,

Kludge

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 08:07:59 PM »
Hey Kludge,

Nice to see you over here. Was gonna' reply to your message over at HMEM but never got a-round-tuit.  ::) Then Wes sent me one so now I've got to get round tuit. ;D

Sorry to hear about your daughters MS. My wife has it. Although she's doing pretty good. Glad to hear your making things for your daughter. You sound like one heck of a nice dad. ;)

Talking about electronics, that was sort of another hobby of mine. Back in the '80's I spent a few grand on a computer and software for desiging circuit boards. Never got very far. Still have the software but the computer is gone.

I'm retired too. Medical. The old ticker had a few pipes rerouted. I'm working on a house right now that was roughed in in 1997. Still along ways to go. Don't have much time for the more fun stuff while working on the house but do manage to get a few fun projects in.

Again, nice to see you over here. Hope this place takes off like HMEM.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Kludge

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 03:41:08 AM »
Nice to see you over here. Was gonna' reply to your message over at HMEM but never got a-round-tuit.  ::) Then Wes sent me one so now I've got to get round tuit. ;D

My last round tuit developed a flat spot so it's in the shop.  This is the same shop Murphy and I are arguing about. 

Sorry to hear about your daughters MS. My wife has it. Although she's doing pretty good.

Noelle has good and bad days.  I know when she's having a good one; she gets feisty with the old man.  She is the most wonderful part of my life; she makes my life worth hanging onto.

Glad to hear your making things for your daughter. You sound like one heck of a nice dad. ;)

We have a deal.  She keeps me well and truly wrapped around her little finger and I spoil her without mercy.  I help her with her expenses, by making things, by buying little things like the stuffed puppy do go with her live dog (who's not much bigger), by getting yelled at for not keeping my weight under control etc, by being mutual best friends & confidantes ... by being Daddy.  And, of course, she's my little girl (30 years old, 5'-9" worth of "little") and always will be ... and she knows it.  Daughters are very special people ... very precious people.  I suspect any father of a daughter will back that.

Talking about electronics, that was sort of another hobby of mine. Back in the '80's I spent a few grand on a computer and software for desiging circuit boards. Never got very far. Still have the software but the computer is gone.

Well, computers are cheap these days and there is some decent software available for free for electronics design and board layout. 

I have a slightly different problem.  I'm an old paper and pencil draftsman and want to create drawings of some of the Noelle-machines using 2D or 3D CAD packages (also free?) which means a whole new learning curve.  Given my meds (and the reasons for them), that should be fun.  :)  Oh, well.  If it were easy, anyone could do it, right?

I'm retired too. Medical. The old ticker had a few pipes rerouted.

Hmmm ... a cardiac plumber?  Neat!  I knew an orthopedic surgeon on the mainland who always referred to himself as a glorified mechanic.  Wonder if they're related. ;D

Good luck with the house and do NOT forget to take some you time!

Best regards,

Kludge

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 11:35:47 AM »
Very Late  :bugeye: .................... as ever ................ Hi Big K  :thumbup:

CC

Kludge

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 05:02:55 PM »
Very Late  :bugeye: .................... as ever ................ Hi Big K  :thumbup:

CC

*chuckling* ... CC, I'm even later.  We make a good team.  :D

Oh, and, folks, I'm back!

BEst regards,

Kludge

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 05:50:29 PM »

Isn't this the part where the cynic mumbles something about the neighborhood going someplace?   :D
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Kludge

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 05:56:48 PM »

Isn't this the part where the cynic mumbles something about the neighborhood going someplace?   :D

I'm just here to add a little class to the joint, and NO one has as little class as I do! :headbang:

BEst regards,

Kludge

Baldrocker

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 07:04:25 PM »

Oh Lord is there nowhere safe?

Welcome Kludge.
BR

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 07:11:21 PM »

:lol:         :lol:         :lol:             :lol:

We tried that the first time, but he found his way back.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Kludge

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 07:57:03 PM »
We tried that the first time, but he found his way back.

Oh, ye of too much faith, didst thou think thine efforts so great that thou mightst cause me tribulation? 

Or, updating from KJV-speak: Tough luck.  You're stuck with me! :whip:

BEst regards,

Kludge

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 08:14:55 PM »
I'm just here to add a little class to the joint, and NO one has as little class as I do!

I have loads of class.  Too bad it's all low. :D
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Kludge

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 08:19:33 PM »
I have loads of class.  Too bad it's all low. :D

That's the best kind!  We can slurp and burp and just generally carry on where all those high class folks have to worry about manners and stuff.

Best regards,

Kludge

Offline Serveta150

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 06:35:39 PM »
Hi Kludge,

Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm and knowledge of Jeeps. Whilst my favourite is the WW2 MB, I wouldn't say "no" to the chance of any Jeep, right up to the "Renegade" and "Laredo" (especially if it came complete with Mindy - "hey Mork, take a hike") When I lived in Harrogate, North Yorkshire, our housing estate used to have a good No. of Americans who worked at the Menwith Hill US Army base and they nearly all had Jeeps of the really posh kind.

Regarding the later designs, there is just one thing I would like to know, who the hell designed rectangular Headlights into the Grill of a Jeep? I notice this model didn't last too long.

Finally, it'll take a while longer befor I post any pic's - I'm not too keen on photobucket.

Regards, Paul

Kludge

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 09:04:39 PM »
Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm and knowledge of Jeeps.

*polite bow* My pleasure. 

While I need a fairly good sized truck (think: Ford F-450 Superduty with communications shelter in back) for a specific application, my everyday vehicle is a Jeep and I don't see that changing.  The best advertisement for them was GIs returning from WW II who wanted them for their own use.  Willys was all too willing to continue production and make improvements along the way.  When AMC bought them, they did the Smart Thing and pretty much left the line alone, though there were some different engines used until they settled on the workhorse 232 and 258 CID 6s.  Things went bad when Chrysler bought the line and "re-engineered" it.  That square headlight version is the YJ which I own (and one huge reason I want to put CJ-7 sheet metal on the front!).  It was Jeep enthusiasts who pretty much forced Chrysler to go back to the round headlights but they messed with the design in other ways and now it's nothing more than kiddie-bling.  About the only real good they did was the 4 liter fuel-injected version of AMC's 6 which provides the needed goodies to upgrade the 258 to a higher power & torque engine that uses less fuel in the process.

As I told one person, "Just because it says 'Jeep', that doesn't make it a real Jeep." 
I guess I won't be buying many more parts from that dealership.  :D

Best regards,

Kludge