Author Topic: Hard Drive Failure  (Read 5187 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Hard Drive Failure
« on: December 21, 2009, 04:30:12 PM »
My main laptop HD failed tonight, it seems yet another one has gone. Strangely enough that's two in different laptops in one night.

One just stopped spinning and my main one made some 'orrible screaching noises and now can't be accesed  :doh:

They might be getting bigger and faster now, but the reliability seems to have gone out the window.
Do others find the same?
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Hard Drive Failure
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 04:42:27 PM »
Yep - definitely seeing the same trend here, and I've been using HDDs since the year dot (OK, 1994). I recently sold a 1979 vintage hard-drive (all 20MB of it!), which was still working after all this time. Somewhere, I've got my very first 340MB harddrive which, I expect, would still work (if I plugged it into anything). I have, however, binned 3 multi-gigabyte 2007 or newer drives, this year alone. And I've got two in the process of failing now, one of which is only about 3 months old.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 04:59:34 PM »
Had one fail a while ago. At present have two computers going. The one I'm using right now I've hardly ever shut it off. Have it running 24/7. Wonder if cycling them on/off has something to do with them failing.

I'm planning on building another home computer. Also thinking of getting a laptop for the wife to use.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 05:12:15 PM »
I was once told by someone very very well informed that you should back up as - "it isn`t a case of if it fails but when it fails". And that wasn`t said in a flippant way but a genuine sensible manner. They all will fail eventually. Rubbish doing so so quickly however. Some very very good recovery tools out there and I`ve used quite a few good linux based boot CDs to recover data with some success. Worse one was this Easter gone when my hd failed in my works laptop, I spent a good 5-6 hours recovering the files only to find that about 40% opened, the rest were corrupt  :bang:.

Chris

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 11:45:04 PM »
Darren... I know this sounds odd... but stick the drives in a ziplock bag in the freezer over night. try again the next day. Just be sure you have a thumb drive to put your data on cause if it works... it wont for long. I get about a 20% success on this... your mileage may very.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 06:23:02 PM »
Darren

My old 486DX2-66 Computer with 2 hard drives in it used to give my fits some times.  :doh: The "D" drive in the computer would not be found even though it was there and nothing had been done since it was shut down the last time. Turned out that dampness was the culprit. I turned the hair dryer on the "D" hard drive for an hour or so and then it would start up. Once I get it going I just leave it running unless I am not going to use it for a long time.  :D

Also an HP Laser Jet III printer. If I had not used it for a while it would show error code 53 which meant big $ to fix. I opened it up and played the hair dryer on the circuits and mechanisms for a while and tried it again. After an hour or so it would fire up and work perfect as though nothing was wrong. If I used it a couple of times a day it would keep working but if I left it sit for a week or so I would have to warm it up all over again.  :lol:

I still have the 486 and will probably need the hairdryer to get it started again. I know longer have the Laser Jet as it was too heavy to move around but was good printer that I had since new. :lol:

Heat, cold, rain, snow or what you had for breakfast yesterday, they all seem to have an effect on modern day electronics. :lol: :lol:

Merry Christmas

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 06:23:35 PM »
Most of my data is backed up to another drive and then another as well so no worries there. It's only the most recent stuff and even that's not life threatening.

But I'm on the look out for a new drive and have been scouring our favourite haunt. I notice that a lot of faulty drives sell, some for good money too considering they don't work.

What do people do with them?  
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 06:54:46 PM »
The only things I've ever got out of a dead 'un are the neobdymium magnets (which are an odd shape, but good swarf grabbers), a lot of tiny screws and the stepper motors. The screws and motors look like they might come in useful, but never do.

I'd rather smash one up than pass it on to anyone else. You never know who might be able to recover data from it.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 06:56:14 PM »
How old is your failed drive?

If it's less than 5 years, and depending on brand, it MAY still be in warranty. It's worth checking the manufacturer's website; you'll probably have to send it off at postage cost before they'll send you a new one; or buy new & send back the old one for a refund. Obviously, if it's out of warranty, then all bets are off...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 07:19:03 PM »
I save the aluminum disks. Want to build a Tesla Turbine someday. Think the disks would come in handy.

If you realy want to get rid of a HD melt it down into a piece for the steam engine.  :dremel:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 08:26:26 PM »
Bernd, of all the ones I've stripped the disks are coated glass.  :scratch:

I could build a tessla, have everything I need or could make it :lol:

Sadly it's a Toshiba drive, 3yrs warranty IF purchased in the US. If part of another product no warranty is given.
I've no idea how old this drive is, but at least 18mths. it's a 250Gb Sata 2.5" so I doubt very old.

I'll have the magnets from it and destry the platters.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 07:20:49 PM »
Darren, the couple I`ve stripped both have a neat set of bearings in them!

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 08:55:21 PM »
Darren... I know this sounds odd... but stick the drives in a ziplock bag in the freezer over night. try again the next day.

When I lived in the tropics my aunt used to put floppy discs in ziplock bags in the fridge.  Lived at her place for a while.  Never saw one fail.  Up there lots of stuff was put in the fridge: adhesives, womens cosmetics... darn it I need room for the beer.
From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

Forget about the price of gold and oil, its the price of beer that matters.