Author Topic: Another pen  (Read 10989 times)

Offline tinkerer

Another pen
« on: December 29, 2009, 05:04:32 PM »
I was cleaning the shop getting ready to make 19 shadowboxes for the senior's football jerseys and got distracted. It took a couple of hours so I still have some cleaning to do. The pen is acrylic with titanium nib and clip. I have to get some brass next trip to the recycler for the center band. The finish is wet sanding to 12000 grit. Oh, and it was done on the metal lathe.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 05:06:05 PM by tinkerer »
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline chuck foster

Re: Another pen
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 05:12:08 PM »
now that's a cool looking pen  :bugeye: :jaw: :thumbup:

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline Krown Kustoms

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 09:59:45 PM »
Very nice, the colors are great.
I keep eyeballing an old drill press in the corner that would make a nice wood lathe if I lay it down.
Maybe .?.
-B-
-B-

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 10:21:35 PM »
Thanks for the kind words fellas. This was done on the metal lathe and is really easier than the wood lathe to hold the dimensions as long as they are basically straight.
Tink

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 05:07:06 AM »
MRS G says "love it!  Going to save lots of money n birthday presents new year, you can make everyone cool pens!"

Nice work Tink

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 07:34:45 AM »
You guys are laying too much good stuff on us ... the tuit list is rapidly becoming a book ...  :lol:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline sorveltaja

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 05:14:30 PM »
Very good looking pen, tinkerer :clap:.

Are those acrylic parts made from stock, or is it possible to make your own mixture of colours?

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 08:55:57 PM »
Very good looking pen, tinkerer :clap:.

Are those acrylic parts made from stock, or is it possible to make your own mixture of colours?

Thank you. This pen is made from a blank from Woodcraft, but there are many pen makers that mix their own. You can find a lot of information at penturners.org. They use real snake skin, corn cobs and just about anything else you can think of.
Here are a couple of others I found pictures for.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 08:57:49 PM by tinkerer »
Tink

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 09:00:24 PM »
MRS G says "love it!  Going to save lots of money n birthday presents new year, you can make everyone cool pens!"

Nice work Tink

Gerhard
Tell the Mrs. thanks. Sorry I created work.  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 10:48:07 PM by tinkerer »
Tink

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 10:21:50 PM »
Tink' ...... That opening pen is a blinder  :jaw:

Where the heck did you get that acrylic???  looks are awesome!

Did you polish it too?

Very liking some of these pen designs! (not too into the lower of those wooden ones!)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 11:02:15 PM »
Tink' ...... That opening pen is a blinder  :jaw:

Where the heck did you get that acrylic???  looks are awesome!

Did you polish it too?

Very liking some of these pen designs! (not too into the lower of those wooden ones!)

Ralph.
Thanks Ralph. I believe I got this blank at Woodcraft, but you can google "pen blanks" and find a dozen or more places to acquire them.
I am not into the wood pens either, although there are some awesome examples of exotic woods that demand special kits to show them off. The acrylics come in a myriad of designs and you would be hard pressed to find any two exactly alike. The straight barrels are a piece of cake to turn on the metal lathe. I have seen a space age metal labeled M3 (metalpenblanks.com) that is supposed to be turnable on a woodlathe with wood turning tools. I have no experience with it though.
I did polish it, starting with 400 wet paper and progressing through several wet papers up to 12000 grit.
Tink

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 04:42:40 AM »
Tink' ...... That opening pen is a blinder  :jaw:

Where the heck did you get that acrylic???  looks are awesome!

Did you polish it too?

Ralph ..

Some here at Axminster PT

Dave BC

Ralph.

EDIT ..

Seem to have put my modest response embedded in the quote  .... New Year Resolution, stop being a pratt. .. Nah, forget it. Won't work anyway ..  :scratch:

And again EDIT2 ..

http://www.axminster.co.uk/find.asp

URL pasted .. put 'Pen Blanks' in search box ..

Dave BC
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 05:05:34 AM by Bluechip »
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 06:59:05 AM »
Hi Tink'.

I did polish it, starting with 400 wet paper and progressing through several wet papers up to 12000 grit.

I was thinking along the high speed polishing mop kind of polishing....   "new polishing mops and soaps required for the plastics". Was planning on getting some one day.... Just not soon!  Looks like a really good finish for wet n dry  :thumbup:  (and we all know cameras show up the slightest blemish  ::)  )

Dave,
Used the link and put "pen" in.... worked for me  :thumbup:  Never really thought of bothering, with wood not really being my thing and metal a bugger to treat....
Seen so much to choose from, this acrylic stuff as said has so many different finishes  :bugeye:

I get the feeling this might be a Tuit list item to have a go at this year? possibly soon.... Parents birthdays are in Feb'!  :dremel:

Thanks for the pointers  :thumbup:

Ralph.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 11:26:10 AM »
Tinkerer,

I've just gotta' ask. That grit on the sanding paper is it really 12,000 or is it supposed to be 1,200?

I figure if you stated several times that it's 12,000 that that can't be a mistake. I've never heard of or seen 12,000 grit paper before. Would educate me on this please.  :poke:  :D

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 11:44:52 AM »
Tinkerer,

I've just gotta' ask. That grit on the sanding paper is it really 12,000 or is it supposed to be 1,200?

I figure if you stated several times that it's 12,000 that that can't be a mistake. I've never heard of or seen 12,000 grit paper before. Would educate me on this please.  :poke:  :D

Bernd
Yes it is 12000 grit. It is called micro mesh and comes in a kit of about 6 sheets that start out with 1500 and step up to the 12000. The cool thing about it is that you can put it in the washing machine and clean it with your laundry.
Tink

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 12:11:44 PM »
The cool thing about it is that you can put it in the washing machine and clean it with your laundry.

What, and get acrylic grit in my underwear? Now way.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 12:13:42 PM »
Yes it is 12000 grit. It is called micro mesh and comes in a kit of about 6 sheets that start out with 1500 and step up to the 12000. The cool thing about it is that you can put it in the washing machine and clean it with your laundry.

Junno what?

I never even gave the number any thought.....   :lol:

I think a nudge in the general direction of a supplier would be nice Tink'  :thumbup:

Ralph.

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 12:37:10 PM »

Junno what?

I never even gave the number any thought.....   :lol:

I think a nudge in the general direction of a supplier would be nice Tink'  :thumbup:
In the UK

Ralph.

OK, I screwed that up somehow.  :bang: In the UK http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Micro-Mesh-Abrasives-804806.htm
and in the US Woodcraft, Amazon, Lee Valley or just abount any woodworking store. Klingspore is another.
Also, I don't think the 12000 is a grit because the 1500 micro mesh is equivelant to 600 grit.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 12:44:38 PM by tinkerer »
Tink