Author Topic: Swing Threading tool, The Final Cut  (Read 6511 times)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Swing Threading tool, The Final Cut
« on: December 30, 2009, 03:52:27 PM »
Camera

Lights

Action.

Darren posted here on his threading tool and I added to it but due to someone who couldn't put a nut onto a bolt it got sidetracked so I want to start a new one as that one ran on a bit.

I do a lot of my threading using inserts from Coventry Die holders, these come in numbered sets of four and if any are chipped or missing the set is scrap but you only need one for threading and you only need the pitch you are doing, diameter doesn't matter.

The result is you can get these surplus for pennies, so a new tool holder was called for.

Easy to make as i cheated and put the old tool in the mill vise, located on existing hole and slot in turn then changed to holders over.

Shot from underneath showing the slot and an insert fitted.

The old tests were done in brass for two reasons [1] easier and more forgiving but [2] if it had wanted to dig in it would have done so in the softer brass than say steel.

This time I decided to find the horriblist steel I could, a while ago I bought some 16mm rolled black steel for some safety bars, this stuff is horrible and is very close to rebar.

Anyone who has used this stiff knows how horrible it is to machine.

Job setup and test begun. I ran at 80 rpm to take a video but I could have gone faster because the quality wasn't great and it took 7 minutes to do the thread when it should have taken about 3, point was though that it shows it swinging clear to try the thread whilst the cut is still on and when it was done, that was it, no chasers, dies or thread files.

Video here :-

Final shot of the finished thread.

This is the worst angle and a couple of flanks have torn but believe me it's 100% better than anything that could have come off a die using this shït.

Well that's me done then as this tool will do all my external threads.
for the record 80 rpm, 16mm dia x 2mm pitch [ about 12 /13 tpi ] on rolled black bar.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Swing Threading tool, The Final Cut
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 05:25:47 PM »
John

Thanks for the very informative post on yet another swing threading tool. The idea of using the inserts puts a new twist in the mix but it should give you a very accurate thread. Anyone that reads this carefully and watches the video should have no trouble building one that will work on whatever brand or size of lathe they may use.  :ddb: :ddb:

Happy New Year

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 08:46:28 AM »
Excellent John  :clap:

I'm guessing it cuts this stuff so well as it's effectively taking several passes each time a new cut is taken.
Interesting idea and adaptation  :dremel:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline kvom

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 03:20:43 PM »
I had somehow missed the previous threads on the swinging thread cutters.

My lathe currently has a glitch that prevents it running in reverse, so until I figure out the problem (likely sticky relay), the swingup design won't help me.  OTOH, I have a whole box full of die chasers of various pitches, so even if I have to feed the cross slide and use the threading dial, I could use the chasers as threading bits.

Thansks for the idea!   :beer: