Author Topic: Andrew from East Anglia, UK  (Read 2934 times)

Offline piesoup

Andrew from East Anglia, UK
« on: December 31, 2009, 09:14:48 AM »
Hi everyone

Kinda ended up here by mistake while searching on google! Wow, what a place! I am in awe of the creations posted!

I have a very old and cold garage where I have a 8x12 lathe and a homemade work bench. The side door was too narrow to bring in a regular one so I had to build it inside!

I make mountain bike lights when Her Indoors lets me. A few years ago I wanted a new set but didnt want to spend upwards of £300 on them. So I spent a grand on a lathe, the same again on tooling and here I am! Looking to buy a mill in the future to make a few jobs easier. There is only so much I can do on a lathe with a verticle slide!

I worked in a machine shop for a year after I left school, but that was 10 years ago. So I am still very much a beginer.
I will be more than glad to pass on my knoweldge of LED lights.  I know I will pich up some very useful tips on the way.

Currently building the powersupply by Darren. Got to get the anodiaing tank set up.

Here are a few pics

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Re: Andrew from East Anglia, UK
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 09:38:16 AM »
Welcome and those are neat, I have just got some Cree Q5 lights from China to make into machine lights.

Machine lights are bloody expensive and the better halogen ones run red hot.
Tried one out on a 5v wall wart and it's amazing just how much light they chuck out.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 12:29:14 PM »
Hi there, welcome to the cube :borg:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 12:53:19 PM »
Piesoup

Welcome to MadModder. It was not a mistake that led you to MadModder, it was your destiny that did it. We have another member that recently joined that is very knowledgeable in LED lights. I am sure both of you will bump into each other and compare notes. We would love to see more details on those lights you have made as time permits.  :ddb: :ddb:

Happy New Year

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline piesoup

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 05:31:03 AM »
Hey thanks for the warm welcome! I will be sure to put up more detailed notes of my builds. Thats if I can tear myself away from reading about what you fine chaps have made!  :bow: