Author Topic: Hand Cranked Organ winter project  (Read 50295 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Re: Hand Cranked Organ winter project
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2011, 11:15:39 AM »
Thanks for the prodding people :poke: I need it sometimes. When we left We were making the whistles.

Back to the whistles. My wife sanded down the parts so they are all a nice fit. Today we are going to mark the back of the lips and mill them so air can escape and make the whistling noise. The plans showed a piece of card stock glued between the lip and the whistle body. This seemed like a really cheesy way to make these to me?

Pictures soon\o/
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2011, 11:19:36 AM »
I forgot to add. When we were at Birks, He gave me a piece of leather and the patterns he used to cut his out. So there's no excuses now right?

I'll post pictures of that also :ddb:

Wes :wave:
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2011, 03:47:55 PM »
This morning we marked the bottom piece where the air will escape from the whistle.

I set up the mill and showed my wife a couple things then she milled the rest of them.

She did a great job on all of them.

Here is what we were after. A nice clean thin slit for the air to escape.

The plans originally had a piece of card stock cut from a cereal box cut to this shape and sandwiched between this piece and the whistle to create this slit. I thought that was kind of a cheesy way to make them.

Next I'll start cutting out some of the larger pieces.

Wesley P

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2011, 05:09:52 PM »
This was an very intressting project that you have started, and you have your'e wife with you. Greate.  :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2011, 08:33:30 AM »
The plans are kind of poor. There are some missing dimensions and some wrong dimensions. I've been searching the internet trying to find builds where people have mentioned these errors. Hopefully I have found them all. Mainly it seems like the overall width is off sometimes. There is one area that seems to be about 3/16" short and another that is around 3/8" short. The only trouble is that I can't really tell till I start assembling things. There Is also a website that has tips and tricks to make your Busker organ better. I went through that and have come up with a few things that I am going to do to mine.

Today I'm going to start on what is called the pressure box. It will be where the air from the bellows travels to before it goes out to the whistles. It has the Plexiglas window in the video. The sides of the cabinet fasten to this.

Stay tuned....

:wave:
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2011, 11:47:18 PM »
I spent a while longer double checking the changes I made. I would like this to work good when done. The pieces were cut out of 1/8" and 1/4" plywood that is finished on both sides. I had to special order it. No one in town carries this kind of stuff. There were a couple of holes that I drilled before I glued things together, per the instructions. I then began gluing the pressure box together. The hump in the middle still needs to be cut out and glued in. These dimensions were missing in the plans. I'll just measure what I have and make them to fit. I have some small bits that still need cut out and fitted. I'll work on it after work tomorrow. I'm hooked again :zap: :ddb: :zap:

Here you can see where I marked where the hump will be.

More later :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:
Wesley P

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2011, 02:05:52 AM »
I'm getting good at converting MM into English measurements 

I've just picked up on this project, great fun.

Why bother to convert surely you've got a ruler and a digital vernier with mm graduations.
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2011, 07:34:31 AM »
No metric rulers here. I have a set of 4" digital calipers. Somewhere. But I think the battery's are dead.

There is a part called the tracker bar. The paper rides over the top of this and as a hole in the paper travels over a hole in the bar, it is directed to a whistle. I am going to deviate from the plans here. There have been some nice ones made. I'm going to try and replicate one of them.

Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2011, 12:15:42 AM »
Tonight I cut out the rest of the pieces for the crankshaft. I need to make the drive roller. Then I can silver solder all the pieces together.

Wesley P

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2011, 05:55:20 AM »
Nice work Wes, glad you're back on this project  :thumbup:

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2011, 10:23:12 PM »
Thanks Nick.

Tonight I made a little crank holder. I need to hold things straight while I silver solder the pieces of the crank together. We don't want a wonky crank. LOL

I also cut out a couple of little blocks of wood that will be the bearings for the crank shaft. I'll get a couple pictures when I get them a little farther along. No one wants to look at pictures of little blocks of wood do they? Well, some here might. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm glad to be back on this one also :wave:
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2011, 10:33:55 PM »
Spent the night in relaxing with my lovely wife. I did get to the hardware store after work. I found these little wood screws that had a 8-32 bolt on the opposite end. They will hold the main bearing caps on. So tonight, pictures of little blocks of wood.

Later, Wes :wave:
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2011, 11:13:33 PM »
Today I about got the rollers made. I still have to drill and tap them for setscrews. I'm going to try and get the crank silver soldered together tomorrow. I can get better pictures when I get things mounted to the pressure box.

Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2011, 03:15:28 PM »
Grrrrr I seemed to have misplaced my silver solder...... :bang: :bang: :bang:
Wesley P

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2011, 06:13:31 PM »
Grrrrr I seemed to have misplaced my silver solder...... :bang: :bang: :bang:

Got any old coins? http://www.oldengine.org/members/christison/resources/allen.htm

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2011, 11:45:53 PM »
Thanks for that link Andy. It might be fun to try some time. But for now I went and bought some silver solder on Monday. I decided to finish the bits for my hand crank so I can solder it while things are warmed up. Stay tuned...
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2011, 07:12:09 PM »
That's a tough question. A quick count and there are really close to 250 parts in the 20 whistles. About 11 per whistle. I think the 3 bass notes have some extras by the time they are finished. 20 tubes to supply air to the whistle. A brass fitting at each end = 40 more pieces. There are parts that are are assemblies. Like the crank handle will be made out of about 6 pieces when I'm done. The crank shaft is 7 or so parts. I haven't started the billows. They have valves in each one. There are 3 of them. 2 for pumping air into the third one that is a spring loaded reservoir, that supplies air to the pressure box, it has a inlet valve and a valve so the system doesn't get too much pressure. We don't want the billows blowing their sides out. There will need to be rolls made to store the music on. A take up roll for the music to go to right after it has been played.  I'm going to guess 400 parts. Plus or minus a few :smart: Nothing complicated by any means. Just a lot of parts.

The music that can be bought is a little expensive for me. My wife said that she wanted to make some of our own music. I have a book coming on how to translate sheet music into paper rolls. A little roll punch will need to be made. I found one that would be easy to make and operate. It would be boring I think? Kind of like knitting. Hundreds of little holes. The same thing over and over.

I've been wanting to make this for a few years. The main thing that has stopped me is I don't know Jack about music. I can't read one note. I kept telling myself " How can you build a musical instrument, and not know anything about music" I still have my doubts whether the darn thing will work or not. We'll see.

Thanks for watching, Wes :wave:
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2011, 01:51:27 PM »
I started to solder stuff together today. It started good and ended bad.

Looks like I need some more practice. Good thing I machined a couple extra crank arms while I was up to it.

Wes:o(
Wesley P

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2011, 02:45:21 PM »
Been there, done that  :( :( :doh:

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2011, 03:59:03 PM »
Second time was a go\o/

Now I need to drill a hole in the bushing and cross drill it for a setscrew.

Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2011, 06:35:46 PM »
I wanted to get some more accomplished today. I made a wood spinney thing to go on the end of my crank handle. I like the proportions of handles on older machines. That's where The design came from. This fits my hand very nice!!!

I still need to clean some more solder off the arm. But It's getting closer. I can almost hear the music :zap:

Wesley P

Offline FLOPGUY

« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2011, 07:31:54 PM »
It is looking good....

Did you build the bellows and reservoir yet?

I just finished Building the same or similar organ. I built the "senior"
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 07:33:33 PM by FLOPGUY »

Offline richburrow

« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2011, 07:42:18 PM »
I have just read throught this thread and it is a treat!!!!
You are doing a great job and the fact that you have been thinking about it for years is nice to know.
Maybe there is hope for all those plans we have.
Thanks for sharing this with us
Rich

Offline FLOPGUY

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2011, 09:19:53 PM »
how-to-make-tune-and-voice-reedpipes

Will also put it in the resource list
 Download is $4.95 or you can get it as a print on demand type book mailed to you. For $13.95

Did you download this?  If so was it any good?

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2011, 11:28:40 PM »
No I haven't downloaded it as of yet, but it is considered one of the better works on the subject.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen