Author Topic: 90 degree V twin engine (my own design)  (Read 28241 times)

Offline zeroaxe

Re: 90 degree V twin engine (my own design)
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2010, 04:10:00 AM »
Wow, just wow! I feel so inadequate watching you guys build these beautiful machines. With the current problems I have with the accuracy of my Chester Model B Super lathe, I almost feel depressed that I wont be able to build these kind of things ........... one day  :(

But, dont let me sulking take anything away from the awesome thread/work you do!!!!
So much to learn, so little time - Author Unknown

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2010, 11:00:13 AM »
...With the current problems I have with the accuracy of my Chester Model B Super lathe, I almost feel depressed that I wont be able to build these kind of things ........... one day  :(

It will come. I am not that good yet either. But I don't let it stop me from trying.  :thumbup: The great thing about these guys, like George, they are willing to teach and give pointers!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 01:25:01 PM »
Gentlemen, well today was the second trial. I had started it the other day but ran into a few problems, starter setup, leaky valve, blown headgasket. I got those things taken care of and went out this morning for the second try. All it needs now is some fine adjustment on the carb and I think we'll have it.
George

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2010, 01:47:07 PM »
Very nice! Had to watch it a few times. Love the sound of twins!  :bow:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010, 01:49:51 PM »
Fabulous George!  :clap: :clap:

Thank you.....  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2010, 03:21:47 PM »
Sounds like a miniature Harley engine.  :clap:

Nice work George.  :thumbup:

Bernd

Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2010, 08:21:05 PM »
George

That engine sounds just as sweet as it looks and like Bernd says, it sounds like a Harley. Thanks for letting us watch over your shoulder. :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2010, 12:04:49 AM »
It's fabulous, George, and sounds terrific! 
Amazing, to me at least, that this was not even four months from paper to runner.  Pretty inspiring!

Dean
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2010, 06:29:47 AM »
Beautiful George, just beautiful  :clap: :clap: :clap:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Krown Kustoms

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2010, 08:53:49 PM »
Good job
Truely impressive.
-B-

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
Thank you one and all for the gracious comments. I have been running it on and off for the last couple of days. It starts great when it's cold but as it warms up I can see the gas being pushed back through the line. My buddy was watching it and he said it seemed like it was vapor locking. It didn't seem right for something like this but as I went to adjust the carb I touched the intake manifold and it was as hot as the head. When the carb got hot and the gas tried to flow to it the heat would push the fuel back into the line. Today I took the intake manifold off and machined .04 from both of the mounting flanges. I then made some insulators to go between the manifold and head. I'll give it another try tomorrow and see if it helped. As with my other engines the tinkering part starts to take almost as much time as the building.
George

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2010, 11:26:09 AM »
Wow, just wow! I feel so inadequate watching you guys build these beautiful machines. With the current problems I have with the accuracy of my Chester Model B Super lathe, I almost feel depressed that I wont be able to build these kind of things ........... one day  :(

But, dont let me sulking take anything away from the awesome thread/work you do!!!!
Dear zeroaxe, I understand the feelings that arise when one's lathe is less than right, but a large part of learning to get the most out of a machine tool is finding the reason for the problem condition, devising a workable solution in your own situation, and bringing it up to standard.  Almost every machine tool I own was bought in horrible condition, precisely because I couldn't afford working machines.  Without exception, I worked with them broken and gradually managed to find the time, the technology, and the skill to bring them to good condition, and have them produce as they are supposed to.  I learned an awful lot rebuilding my first lathe, having found a book on Machine Tool Reconditioning, and spending almost a month reading it before starting the three months of rebuilding my loose, missing parts bad spindle lathe, and finally getting to use it as it was intended.  Get inside your lathe and make it right, and you will be far happier than you are now, and the next problem will appear less of an obstacle.  Get old books, as the machinists of a hundred years ago had far fewer resources than we have today, and used their ingenuity to get around things we sometimes call impossible.  Mad Jack

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2010, 01:57:15 PM »
Mad Jack is absolutely correct. After looking at my build someone stated, tongue in cheek, "you know you can't build those type of things on a round column mill". You do the best you can with what you have. A good machinist can use a lesser machine and make good parts but a non machinist can't make anything no matter how good the machine is.
 See what your machine needs and do what you can with it.
George

Offline zeroaxe

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2010, 03:39:12 PM »
MadJack,

Thanks for the encouragement. I might be a newbie to the home-modeling game, but one thing I know... Is if you have a problem, dont ignore it. Get down to the root and sort it out. I have learned this the hard way. Now, to bring this back to my lathe... I have the owner's manual. But in there, obviously, it doesnt get down to the in-depth of "How to" sort out your machine. It has got the usual maintanance and set-up instructions..... Not much use to man or beast if you have problems beyond the 'normal'.

So, I am all for learning how and WHY. I would love to strip down my lathe, and I could! But what bothers me is after I have it all in parts, what do I do? Where do I start and what do I look out for? I am also for buying old books. I have bought "Workshop Technology" part 1 and 2 (on recommendation of Bogstandard) as a very good intorduction to metals and how to work them. So if you cold kindly advise me of what book helped you sort out your lathe and bring it up to standard, I will gladly hunt for it!

Thank you  :thumbup:

So much to learn, so little time - Author Unknown