Author Topic: Carriers On Ebay .... Frauds ....  (Read 8298 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Carriers On Ebay .... Frauds ....
« on: January 08, 2010, 04:42:15 PM »
Please would anyone in the UK make sure they do not use these guys ... "AGP COURIERS" I contracted them to pick up my lathe and deliver it to me.

I was promised that they would pallet and strap the lathe plus cover it well to protect whilst in transit. They were to use their own vehicle and the lathe was to be collected and stay on the same vehicle throughout delivery. Thereby removing the possible damage of changing vehicles in various depots along the way.

The service offered was basically a one to one personal machine delivery service to ensure no damage long the way. They were also supposed to unload and site the machine in my garage.

As you can imagine this was not a cheap service.

What they actually did was pass the job onto the cheapest carrier in the country and used a £65 service by underrating the size and weight to a fraction of the the true values.

But it gets worse ....

The delivery took nearly two weeks, I was promised two days .... but that's not it, there is more

On the day of delivery the driver rang me. He had a problem and could I come down the road to meet him. Upon approaching the lorry I was met with a horrific sight.

My lathe was half hanging through the curtain side being barely contained by the curtain itself. The thoughts of a one ton lathe dropping off the side of the lorry into an oncoming car does not bear thinking about.

I should of walked away there and then. I would have but for two reasons. One was that it was my money tied up in this fiasco and if I left them to it the lathe would have probably been damaged beyond repair and somehow it would have ended up being my fault in this no blame society we live in today.
Secondly, I'm just a nice guy and will try to help anyone if I can. (not always a good thing)

So I got a fork lift and driver from the local factory to push the lathe back onto the lorry. Trouble was the pallet they had provided was old and rotten and had collapsed. So the fork lift was not able to get under the lathe.
With the lathe back on I asked the driver to go to our local builders merchant who are a good bunch of lads that would surely help us. The driver was rather reluctant. Reason being that this lathe started it journey as the front of the lorry and was now right at the back, only stopped by a pallet of cement bags. But even they had moved when the lathe hit them.

Anyway, the driver drove slowly to the yard and the lads there did the job proud by getting an unpalleted one ton lathe off the wagon. Take my word that this is not a simple task with just a fork lift.

Now I had the lathe in the builders merchant yard but left with a slight problem. They didn't have to right gear to now load it and deliver it to me.

Next port of call was my friendly scrap man, he turned up promptly on nothing more than a phone call. Loaded the lathe onto his wagon with the utmost care I have ever witnessed in such matters (remember he is a scrap man !) and dully delivered the lathe right into my garage exactly where I wanted it.

Of course all this extra help came at a cost above the already expensive "personal and professional" delivery service I had already paid for !!

As you can imagine I contacted the original delivery guys ......... to be told to sod off and take it to court if I wasn't happy !!
I'm guessing they have been here before ......

Anyway, please don't use these chaps .... no matter what they promise you ...

Ebay listing, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LATHE-Collection-and-Delivery-Service-UK_W0QQitemZ130357329861QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_localservices_courier_delivery_GL?hash=item1e59e6ffc5

Their own web Site http://www.agp-couriers.com/
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:44:30 PM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Carriers On Ebay .... Frauds ....
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 05:17:35 PM »
Darren

I am not asking this question to try and be a smart ass.

Did you pay with PayPal? If you did then this is the time to put them to the test as you didn't get what you paid for.  :(

Cheers  :beer:
Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 08:38:15 PM »
Tut tut, you are another person that believes PayPal will protect you.

Paypal protection only covers tangible goods purchased via Ebay ... nothing else ...

BTW, even that is not applicable outside the US ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/3047456.stm
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 10:48:02 PM »
Darren

Here is a quote of the first 2 lines of the news story the link takes one to.

"Tuesday, 8 July, 2003, 09:18 GMT 10:18 UK
Paypal cover falls short in UK"

That story is 6 and a half years old! Has anything changed since then?

Are UK customers covered? Yes or No? If No then why is Paypal taking money back in all the incidents that you and others have been reporting?

Darren, I feel sorry for you as I don't like to see you or anybody else get ripped off especially when you pay extra to get a better product or service only to get what you got. The other thing is that you can take them to court and win but it will cost you money and you can't get blood out of a stone.  :(

Cheers  :beer:

Don

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 05:46:24 AM by Darren »
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline usn ret

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 11:16:44 PM »
Probably the best you can do is post this saga on every forum that you are a member of.  No news travels faster than bad news.  Don't get even,  get ahead!!!!   Now go have a  :beer: or two.
Cliff :coffee:
If it isn't broken your not looking hard enough!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 05:46:37 AM »
Darren

Here is a quote of the first 2 lines of the news story the link takes one to.

"Tuesday, 8 July, 2003, 09:18 GMT 10:18 UK
Paypal cover falls short in UK"

That story is 6 and a half years old! Has anything changed since then?

Are UK customers covered? Yes or No? If No then why is Paypal taking money back in all the incidents that you and others have been reporting?

Darren, I feel sorry for you as I don't like to see you or anybody else get ripped off especially when you pay extra to get a better product or service only to get what you got. The other thing is that you can take them to court and win but it will cost you money and you can't get blood out of a stone.  :(

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Hi Don, I don't really know how things are with Paypal from day to day as the rules seem to change weekly. That is no exaggeration. The only way to know what the rules are today is to read the rules today.

I realise that report was old, but it does at least show that the problems are not new and therefore likely to continue as they are.

As for going to court, the "Small Claims Court" here in the UK for such matters, I've been there and done that before. Won, etc, taken it back to court because I was not re-imbursed, still no money and never did get any. They guy had a whole string of court claims against him.
In this country, unless it's some sort of authority then you really don't have to pay any fines or court orders.

And from the reaction these couriers know this too well.

Nope, best way these days is to use the web. Besides, I wouldn't want to see anyone here get ripped off the same way and I would hope if anyone had similar experiences with any other fraudsters then they let us all know about it.

Simple mistakes you have to accept, that's part of being human.
Plain ripping people off is another issue altogether.

The web is great for scam artists, but we can use it too ....  :thumbup:

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 06:01:17 AM »
For anyone wanting machinery moved look here.

http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8:landylift&catid=18:traders&Itemid=20

I have never used Steve Cox at Landylift  but we run the home workshop advert site and regularly get posts to say what a good job this guy has done, we have never had one complaint .

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 10:21:59 AM »
I've read nothing but good things about Steve Cox on the net ...  :clap:

Unfortunately me being where I am and Steve being where he is and the lathe being where it was didn't make things particularly practical or cheap. Nobodies fault, just the way it is.

The people I used should have made much more sense due to the better logistics.

Live and learn, recommendation is everything in these situations.

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 08:21:09 AM »
Might be worth having a word with the Office of Fair Trading.  If that company says they'll do it one way, then deliberately does it so differently, the OFT might be interested.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 01:40:17 PM »
Unfortunately the "contract" was agreed verbally over the phone ... so pursuing the issue would be rather difficult.

Best I can do is to warn others as I have done ... My lathe despite everything survived, but it could easily have been a very different story.
I wouldn't like to see anyone here have to deal with these people.

I was lucky in a way, I have other people I could call upon to help at the time. Many of you I guess could have been rather stuck in a similar situation.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 03:52:30 AM »
I keep checking to see your feedback for them........

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 06:23:28 AM »
Hi David,

Unfortunately their Ebay listing is a service page, not an auction listing. This means there is nothing to purchase via Ebay and thus no feedback can be left.

They could gain 100 sales a week from this and rip 100 people off and no-one would be any wiser ... just another way for con-men to flout there wares via Ebay ...

Ebay don't even charge a fee for these pages, they are free ...  :doh:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 08:13:51 AM »
Hi David,

Unfortunately their Ebay listing is a service page, not an auction listing. This means there is nothing to purchase via Ebay and thus no feedback can be left.

They could gain 100 sales a week from this and rip 100 people off and no-one would be any wiser ... just another way for con-men to flout there wares via Ebay ...

Ebay don't even charge a fee for these pages, they are free ...  :doh:

Ohhhh.......  Bu**er.......  :bang:
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 08:23:27 AM »
When I said 100 sales a week I wasn't kidding, it could easily be more as they currently have 320 of these service listings on Ebay potentially trapping all sorts of people and their goods ..

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/agp_couriers/m.html?_trkparms=65%253A7%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1&_ipg=200&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

It's quite frightening really and there are many others taking the same advantage of Ebays free advertising.

Offline slowcoach

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 08:29:23 AM »
For anyone wanting machinery moved look here.

http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8:landylift&catid=18:traders&Itemid=20

I have never used Steve Cox at Landylift  but we run the home workshop advert site and regularly get posts to say what a good job this guy has done, we have never had one complaint .

John S.

I had my Harrison L5 delivered by Steve Cox, All I can say is what a smashing friendly bloke he is, He even helped me shunt the machine to the back of my workshop.  :thumbup:

Rob