Author Topic: New Laptop Purchase Help  (Read 31483 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
New Laptop Purchase Help
« on: January 09, 2010, 10:29:06 AM »
We wish to buy a new laptop for our daughter for coledge work.

I like and have bought from eBuyer in the past and found them great to deal with along with good prices.

Does anyone have any other good recommendations we should consider. Not really interested in the high street  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: New Laptop Purchase Help
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 10:53:35 AM »
This is looking like a good price, but I'm no expert and simply can't keep up with the technology  :doh:

Can any wiz kid take a look for us please http://www.ebuyer.com/product/179374
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 11:15:36 AM »
Darren,

We'ev used Laptopsdirect before and found them to be good in everyway...
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 12:14:48 PM »
Thanks, been having a look around and they seem to match eBuyers prices except for delivery. Though they do have some interesting budget machines ... we have two choices, buy a new laptop for me and give the daughter mine (it's not a yr old yet and still pretty good spec)

Or buy a budget machine with quite a lower spec to save £50 -100.

Of course the first option looks more attractive .... but then I suppose it would.  :ddb:

FYI I have used eBuyer in the past for two laptops, a router and other bits and bobs ... great to deal with every time.

Part of me wants a desktop for the versatility of future proofing (to an extent), it's just the room they take that puts me off.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 02:08:13 PM »
Just bought a Compaq 2.1 Ghz, 4 Gb of ram, 240Gh hard drive and Windows 7.

Ironically bought it two weeks ago over the counter from Tesco for £299, no postage  ::)

Seems a decent machine, runs Solid Edge which is a bit of a hog with no problems.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 03:17:45 PM »
I think you did pretty well there John, nothing like that spec for that price on the Tesco web site  :clap:

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 03:35:12 PM »
Definitely was there, might be worth popping in and asking if they have one.
Presario CQ 61 model.
John Stevenson

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 04:37:29 PM »
I noticed a few in tesco the other day around £300-£380 mark. All the specs seem pretty good these days and would you really notice a difference getting a high end one? I did all my uni work on a 100 and later 300MHz With 64Mb of Ram or something and I reckon it'd still do it now! Only used to be dial up internet in those days though! Suppose if it was going to be used for gaming, CAD or FEA is when the good spec ones would come in.

This has a bit off it: http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-2571.aspx

The wife has just been on about buying a laptop - the other day we were going to buy a tv with built in dvd for bedroom but now she's just said we're more likely to be both on the computer at the same time so could be more useful! Could watch dvds on the laptop too I guess!

I will watch this thread to see what the best deal is!  :lol:

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 04:39:06 PM »
Johns is £379 for 3GB version now so he got a good deal!  :beer:

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 04:40:32 PM »
In fact, look at the note on this:

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-1256.aspx

They've corrected the price now - we need to find those flyers!

Nick

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 05:21:40 PM »
I thought John got that a bit cheap, been searching the Tesco site but everything was priced higher for that spec.

I didn't manage to find that flyer notice though, well done  :clap: :clap:

I'n still edging towards this I linked earlier, http://www.ebuyer.com/product/179374, I'm trying to work out why it isn't dearer ?
but the choice out there really makes things very difficult.
This laptop I'm using is still hard to beat for the price I paid for it a year ago !!

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 05:49:39 PM »
Ooops sorry it is 3Gb not 4 Gb as I stated.

Didn't see a flyer I just did a search on the internet when i was looking, Asda had one about the same price but less spec and only had Vista home on it and that would have meant a reinstall back to XP.

Called in Tesco and none on display so asked about the web advert and they fetched this one out the secure store, guy never said anything about it so I though it was jsut a normal deal.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline kvom

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
If you want a machine to CNC your mill, don't get a laptop.   For a college student, get a name brand laptop with a warranty.   Either one, don't get Vista.  Win7 is a lot better.

OTOH, college students normally don't need a very powerful machine, assuming that their main needs are work processing plus internet apps.  So unless they need it for gaming a modest machine is likely fine.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 10:46:01 AM »
Any more takes on this, prob be ordering tomorrow ....

Her indoors is insisting on a large screen so it looks like the one I linked will pip the post, unless someone tells me I'd better not ....  :coffee:

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 02:13:41 PM »
Darren, whatever you buy it will be light years ahead of what you could have bought a few years ago and will be not a patch on what you will be able to buy in the near future! :coffee:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 02:44:49 PM »
Yes I guess you have a point, they all seem much a muchness to me regardless of price.

OK some are faster etc, but twice the price faster?? Next month they will only be half the price again and not twice.

It all moves so fast............. I suppose the real question is do we really need the progress .... or even notice it now it has got to "that" point in development/speed.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 05:31:48 PM »
The only thing I can offer to the discussion is to beware of the cheap laptops, or more specifically, beware of the LCD hinges on cheap laptops. Both myself and a family member had bought cheap laptops ( both were from different manufacturers and were different processors, features ect ) and both suffered with failures to the LCD hinge area after the warrenty ran out.

To be specific, it wasn't the actual hinge, but the thin, pressed metal frame that the hinge and LCD attaches to, that suffered metal fatigue and cracked from the repetitive strain of opening and closing. Chasing the manufaturers was completely fruitless, my Father-In-Law ( who works at a sheet metal fabrication plant ) got one of the welders to TIG weld it for me, but it broke again on the first open/close cycle.

I did manage a Heath-Robinson type fix, involving a sheet of 6mm MDF and some screws, but needless to say it did not look very good, although still operational.

I've since got a Dell Vostro laptop( I got it on special offer, and got Quidco cashback too  :thumbup: ) and it shows no sign of the same problem, even after 2yrs.

OK some are faster etc, but twice the price faster??

I guess some of the extra cash goes on higher quality hardware like the hinges and keyboard ( I forgot to mention that the "i" key had also stopped responding on the old laptop ). Some laptops( the more ££££ ones )  have a dedicated graphics card with onboard dedicated memory instead of shared memory. That makes a big difference to games, but can also make a difference to scrolling through pages of text in a Word document or a webpage.

I hope you get a good-un  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 05:40:33 PM »
That's some good advice Tim .... it's just that I have two Dells and they both have hinge failure ... not budget laptops either at the time. (though old now) The fact that they still run fine says a lot for them otherwise though.

These are the only laptops that I've had this problem with, in fact the only other failure I've ever had has been hard drives which seem to go at will. Again and again .... !!

OTOH, friends seem to have all sorts of various problems which makes me think it's all rather pot luck.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 05:48:16 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well there you go, I guess it really is the luck of the draw.

It would be interesting to know if Dell were able to provide some spare hinges/LCD mounts for your older laptops, that might give you an indication that if a newer model was to fail in that way, then you probably would be able to get spares too.

Maybe laptops have now got to the price that if you get 18 months to 2 years out of them you will just upgrade them without much thought. Yet another aspect of today's throw-away culture :offtopic:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 06:01:07 PM »

Maybe laptops have now got to the price that if you get 18 months to 2 years out of them you will just upgrade them without much thought.
Tim

I suppose really even a year is a long time in the laptop world .... if you have one five years old you wouldn't want to use it anyway. Even though it will still do 99.9% of your needs, if it boots slow then out the door they seem to go.
My old dell is a 700mhz processor, still does everything I need fine ... just a little slower, esp at boot-up.

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 05:25:33 AM »
Laptops seem to have some problem, I'm not sure what it is but they seem to slow down exponentially! My desktop lasted much longer but even that is slowing down a bit now, not sure whether it's some sort of virus or what. With my last laptop I reformatted the hard drive, it was a cyrix 333mhz and after that it was very fast, booted up in a minute or so etc. Might have to do that on the desktop soon.

The machines are getting faster but the programmes are taking more and more processing power just because they can it seems!

Just around the time when everybody started to buy PC's for the home, we got an apple mac, it was 8MB ram and a very small hard drive - 40Mb or something I think. But with that you could fit the whole of claris works (equivalent of office) onto 1 floppy disk!

Nick

What a great machine that was, not sure what macs are like these days but I bet they're a damn site better than PC's as all the hardware is specific I believe. Mind you, the cheapest one is about twice the price of the cheapest PC!

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 06:48:09 AM »
The only thing I can offer to the discussion is to beware of the cheap laptops, or more specifically, beware of the LCD hinges on cheap laptops. Both myself and a family member had bought cheap laptops ( both were from different manufacturers and were different processors, features ect ) and both suffered with failures to the LCD hinge area after the warrenty ran out.
also make a difference to scrolling through pages of text in a Word document or a webpage.

Tim

Tim,

Its not necessarily limited to the cheap end of the market, my son's Asus laptop that he purchased from Laptopsdirect was £1200 when new....The hinges on that have failed and it is out of guarantee....An expensive repair is looming... :(

eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 06:48:36 AM »
Laptops seem to have some problem, I'm not sure what it is but they seem to slow down exponentially!

I don't think it's a laptop thing...

The machines are getting faster but the programmes are taking more and more processing power just because they can it seems!

That's the one  :thumbup:

I have found Vista to be the worst culprit for this "slowdown" You start with a nice fast fresh install and it goes downhill from there. You can de-frag, delete junk and unused files etc but it seems to make little difference. The only real way to get the speed back is a clean re-install.

I did try Vistalite and that makes a huge difference. Takes a much longer time before it becomes painfully slow. Don't miss anything that is stripped out either, you wouldn't really know anything was missing despite the Lite version is a fraction of the size.

There is an XP version as well, not that XP has many issues to start with.

Even Windows 7 slows down over time so don't go rushing out buying 7 thinking MS has finally got things licked. 7 is Vista bandaged up, or certainly seems like it, works faster anyway without the memory hogging death knoll of Vista. Not a lot else seems to have changed despite their advertising splurge.

What a great machine that was, not sure what macs are like these days but I bet they're a damn site better than PC's as all the hardware is specific I believe. Mind you, the cheapest one is about twice the price of the cheapest PC!

That's always been the problem with Macs, may well be a better option than a PC, but they also become old too quickly and at the price ..........

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 06:55:18 AM »

Its not necessarily limited to the cheap end of the market, my son's Asus laptop that he purchased from Laptopsdirect was £1200 when new....The hinges on that have failed and it is out of guarantee....An expensive repair is looming... :(

That's interesting, This one I'm on now is a middle range ASUS ... no hinge problems yet, but then I always leave it open and rarely adjust it .... thanks for the warning.

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 08:25:55 AM »
My mums laptop has some media edition of xp, a few years old and it's painfully slow. The work laptops are new hp compaqs and they are horrible too. Where as my desktop seems to be able to deal with everything much more easily. For some reason all the laptops I've had or known are shocking - I get almost to the point of smashing it up when trying to use my mums or sister's laptops! We're still using xp though.

Nick