Author Topic: New Laptop Purchase Help  (Read 31414 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: New Laptop Purchase Help
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 08:39:46 AM »
I think there is a point to be raised here Nick .... you are comparing your machine with other peoples.

It all depends on what they do with theirs, where they visit on the net, what type of sites and how much they download etc.
Some sites, esp those that are aimed at kids, chuck all sorts of monitoring cookies onto your machine. There could be 1,000's of them and they all take processing power.

Women's shopping sites are another target, they want to know where their shoppers are going and what is being looked at.

I do know this, give our daughter either a laptop or desktop and I can quarentee it needs re-loading  within the month because she's complaining it's so slow she simply stops using it. Music sites seems to be the cause from what I can tell? Though I'm no expert it happens regularly enough to show a pattern.

But even so, even I find my own machine needs re-loading about every 4-6mths to keep the speed up.

I use imaging software for re-loading, it doesn't take very long to have a fresh install that way. 20min at most depending on size and it's mostly automatic with no need for inputting settings or all the programs individually.

Mind you, years ago Ghost only took about 4 min to do the same thing when all the programs were smaller, even with the older slower machines !!
And you could keep the back-up on a CD, now you need a spare HD.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 08:52:37 AM »
Here's a trick for you ...

Firefox has a "privacy" mode under the tools link at the top left.

No doubt meant for browsing where you shouldn't be, or maybe for public computers etc.

The thing is, while in privacy mode nothing is saved to your computer when you exit back to "normal" mode ... and it really seems to be nothing at all.

So no cookies and any other nasties as they are ripped out by Firefox with no input from the user.

Thinking about it, maybe that would be a good way to let the daughter carry on using the music sites she seems to love so much  :coffee:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 09:09:49 AM »
Its not necessarily limited to the cheap end of the market, my son's Asus laptop that he purchased from Laptopsdirect was £1200 when new....The hinges on that have failed and it is out of guarantee....An expensive repair is looming... :(

( puts on voice from Dad's Army ) " We're all Doooooooooooomed "

It's not looking to good for choosing a laptop  :scratch:

If you do catch the hinges before they totally break you can attempt a repair ( of a fashion ). On the two that I have repaired, both of them started with just one hinge suffering fatigue. The other hinge then has to take the strain of both hinges and so fails pretty quick after that. If you catch it with only one hinge gone you can try to reduce the additional pressure on the remaining hinge.

When you get to actually see the hinge assembly you see that the hinge is not designed to be a free pivoting hinge, rather the laptop hinge has not only to hinge the LCD open and shut, it also has to have enough stiffness to hold the LCD in the open position, this means that the hinge really grips the pin that is attached to the laptop base.

The "fix" that I found to be useful was, seperate the failing hinge assembly and mount the "pin" part in the lathe and ever-so-slightly reduce it's diameter with a piece of 300 W&D and then polish it with some 600 W&D. ( I didnt measure how much I took off, but I just kept checking it in the rest of the hinge until it could just turn in the hinge under finger power. )

I also applied some graphite to both hinges ( rubbed it with a pencil ) and re-assembled and got a couple of months more out of it before the other hinge started to fail, and then I had to do the same to it.

It was only a temporary fix, I eventually had to put a backing piece covering the whole back of the LCD, attached with some little bolts through the hinge assembly (that was broken off from the original LCD mount) and through the top of the plastic LCD cover, and the laptop is still in use to this day, just doesnt look to pretty.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 09:40:16 AM »
For a safer surfing experience, install VMware( free version ) and then download one of the linux virtual machine distributions, or there are tutorials for making your own XP Virtual Machine.

Using a virtual machine is really easy, it looks and acts just like using the real thing, it is sort of like running another operating system from within your present operating system. But the real advantage is that when using the virtual machine, nothing you do can affect or infect, your real operating system.

Another advantage is that the virtual machine is completely stored in just one file, that makes having a backup copy very easy.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 10:48:48 AM »
Good point Darren, I remember once going through and uninstalling everything on my mums that she'd thought looked useful so simply clicked ok to on screen messages. Probably a load of spyware and adware. It gets on my nerves a bit when I see 100 extra tool bars at the top of the internet explorer page!

:offtopic: Got a good virus the other day, it wouldn't let me open or do anything other than a web page asking me to upgrade my antivirus software for $60! I had to catch it on boot up and randomly end a load of fishy looking processes (luckily it must have been one of those) and then did a system restore. A few days later my wife's friend had the same one, the same worked for hers. Couldn't remember how to start in safe mode but that may have done the trick too.

I just use AVG but used to run scans with adaware and spyware doctor at one point, had some really bad stuff that used a lot of processing power at one point.

That's a cool idea Tim, will have to look into that.

On the hinges, I took an old one to bits once and was shocked how stiff they had to be, couldn't move them with the screen bolted off!

Nick

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 11:30:38 AM »
We wish to buy a new laptop for our daughter for coledge work.

I like and have bought from eBuyer in the past and found them great to deal with along with good prices.

Does anyone have any other good recommendations we should consider. Not really interested in the high street  :thumbup:

You may have already bought - but, if not, I can thoroughly recommend eBuyer; delivery is almost always faster than promised, their returns process is basically painless & their prices are normally great. I've used them for lots of stuff over the last few years; ironically, the only exceptions being for Laptops (used to use RDC, but they've gone all expensive in recent times) and whole computers (fleaBay, but I know what I'm looking for).
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 12:28:43 PM »
Hi Guys.
I here was my solution on slowing breaking down computers.

I own a Toshiba Satellite laptop got it in 2005. Its broken down three times and been repaired the same, then one day my buddy told me to stop using the laptop as a laptop!

First was the power plug that goes into the back, the internal part snapped. Then the hinge problem I had too. He told me after fixing it just leave it open on my desk and don’t take it anywhere.

My wife runs the horse boarding business we have and she uses the net all day long, I use the net all the time and spend aprox 3 hours a day on it. Plus we keep all our household business and farm business on computers. I purchased a HP system last January for my wife with a nice 17 inch wide screen, Windows Vista, super duper chip speed, HD graphics, DVD burner you name it this thing was awesome. One month later was slower than dogs Do-Do. So I called on my trusty mate to give me his advice and this was his solution.

First he said that since me and the wife use the computer all the time we should each have one. Then we need a house computer that Never Never goes on the net. so a total of three computers were needed. An external 500MB hard drive was needed so my and her machine could back up files to that incase of crashes. (The computer that never goes on the net never talks to this Hardrive).

Now he wiped clean my hard drive (laptop) and reinstalled the back up disk that came with the system, he then completely stripped all the hog wash that came as a bundle and just left me with XP and all the drivers ect, he even got rid of most of Microsoft office which was about a 200MB file. Then he immediately made a back up copy of my fresh reinstall so later when I go to flush it out its goes back to basics again.

He then installed a program called ( C C Cleaner Found on FileHippo.com ) This program is free and basically flushes out all crap with in about a minuet. Then we downloaded a program called Zonealarm which is just a free fire wall, they sell a virus program too but you need to pay for it. He did the same with my wife’s machine so both of us have bare bones machines. As you start to use it after about a month it shows signs of slowing down you purge the hard drives again which takes about 20 mins on mine and an hour on hers.

The beauty of this is we both run on the net wide open, no antivirus programs nothing, I don’t care if I get a virus, now since we both use the external hard drive I have access to a up to date antivirus program over the net at a university here and every now and then I check it to see if I have anything on it.

The firewall stops a lot of trash coming through as you use it and lets you see what’s going on, let me tell you my five year old laptop is lightning,  boot up takes less than a minuet and that includes logging straight into my email account, with hers its doubled but I blame vista for that.

So what I am saying is before you throw out your old system give my set up a try, don’t rely on just one system, one clean computer in the house is the key because you don’t care what goes on the trashy net machines. I also make use of net storage systems, I even use my email service to store information I need for further reference, I just email myself with what ever stuff I need and file it on there systems.

Hopes this helps.            Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 04:24:07 PM »
Some good ideas there Anthony ...

I dug out an old desktop 750mhz and not a lot of ram... but it's still working and I'm typing this post on it right now.

I have a few old HD's that I could use for cloning the laptops HD's ... it's a thought and be much easier than trying to do it on the laptop with a dead HD !!!

Just one thing, anyone know how to attach a sata drive to the desktops ide cable? (only way to use Ghost in DOS for cloning)

The other way would be to use the USB ports with a suitable cable (which I have) but this means doing the cloning in Windows with another program ... Acronis probably be my choice here ..

I did have one other thought. I always use the machines in admin mode. What if I made a normal acc instead and when windows slows down or becomes messy then just delete the acc, would that help?

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 06:01:19 PM »
Just one thing, anyone know how to attach a sata drive to the desktops ide cable? (only way to use Ghost in DOS for cloning)

Not possible I'm afraid: SATA (serial ATA) is not compatible with IDE (which stands for Integrated Drive Electronics; but basically means parallel ATA). If you can find a SATA PCI card for £cheap, you could fit it internally.

The other way would be to use the USB ports with a suitable cable (which I have) but this means doing the cloning in Windows with another program ... Acronis probably be my choice here ..

Yeah, I'd probably go that route too - in fact, as soon as my replacement hard drive turns up, I plan to do exactly that to my main desktop...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2010, 10:57:24 AM »
Is the recession over?

I say this because we have tried to buy our chosen laptop from 3 different vendors and still have yet to be successful ...

First one declined the online order because the value was too high .... WHAT !! Yep tis true. Helen phoned them up and they wanted a bank authorisation or sumut?

Second one we decided to phone the order in, err no go, well we could but there would be an extra unreasonable charge over online ordering ...

Third one, can't get the get them to answer the phone, so I'm guessing if there were any further problems after the goods have been delivered might raise ones blood pressure.

At this rate I can see us buying from the high street and being done with it

Recession, what recession ?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:59:07 AM by Darren »

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2010, 11:37:46 AM »
Darren.
I would bite the bullet and order a clone system from Del and be done with it, I am sure you know enough to file it into shape and get it how you want it. You will not beet these nitwits.

We have spoke before on the general decline of service and the like. I fully relate with your frustration. My wife sold me on how to deal with this type of problem.

Attitude!. She told me to change my attitude. So I did. I used to be nice and polite in situations like yours.

Now if I don’t get what I want I go totally over the edge and get belligerently out of control, swear and foam at the mouth ending up un-hinged and smash the phone up and or get so rude to the person in front of me they want to crawl up in a ball.

Does it work I hear you ask?

No but makes me feel good.      ::)                                         Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2010, 01:08:08 PM »
I guess I'll weigh in here since my wife bought a lap top just recently.

We were out checking on portable computers because she wanted one for herself. So we stopped into Officemax. HP has a large screen portable that she liked for close to $800. This was on a Friday night. Sunday moring in the paper Officemax had the computer on sale for $150 less. So off we went to purchase said computer. By the time tax, two software programs and a 3 year warrenty were added up, the total came to a tad over $1000. Not bad for a computer of it's computing power. The folks at the store were more than helpful, they even tried to see if they could sell the computer cheaper.

Then yesterday I tried to get it to connect through the wireless and I was heaving trouble. I spent close to 3 hours on the phone with a tech in Texas. He finally got me through the setup and got the computer connected. He also diaginosed a modem problem. A tech from Frontier Telephone showed up 2 hours early today to replaced the modem and I'm off and running faster than before. All people were a pleasure to work with.

There are times that I've run across people like mentioned in the thread. For establishments like that I vote with my wallet. I usally let them know that too. Ranting and raving only makes one look like an idiot. You may feel better, but I'm sure they will then even have a lower opinion of you.

Sounds to me Darren that you don't have a good choice of computer vendors over there.

Bernd

P.S. my computer woes have gone now that I have a new high speed modem. Now all I need to do is to see if I can retrieve a few files off my failed disk drive.

Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2010, 03:40:14 PM »
Helen got the bank authorisation sorted, basically tell the bank to lift the flag that stops her ordering online.

Now they, "eBuyer", want a photocopy of a passport or drivers license, a utility bill or bank statement .....

You have simply got to be kidding, is it the April 1st or something ....

All in the name of online protection .... yeah, sure, sending copies of passports, driving license, bank statements and utility bills to whoever may care to read and copy details on the other end is a funny way to protect yourself.

I really used to like eBuyer and have bought several laptops, printers and routers from them over the years ..... but now they are just about to loose a customer for good.

How does one actually buy a new laptop online these days ..... !!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2010, 07:56:44 AM »
Finally found someone to actually take an order ..... at last !!!

I don't know what the world is coming to .....  :doh:

This morning I get a letter from my mortgage company offering me 10K to bugger off and we only have a small loan.... what funny times we live in ...

Still, musunt grumble .....

Offline Majorstrain

• Perth, West Australia
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2010, 10:59:24 AM »
Quote from: Darren

Try this one Darren,
It's for a SATA drive to plug into an IDE mother board cable location. The title says IDE to Sata but if you look at the  computer pic it shows SATA to IDE
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/IDE-To-Serial-ATA-SATA-HD-Motherboard-Converter-Adapter_W0QQitemZ280406656568QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Components?hash=item41498a0638#ht_3925wt_939

I just recently ordered these two.
The first is from IDE to SATA, I got it because I have a few IDE drives I want to get info off.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Serial-ATA-SATA-To-IDE-HD-Motherboard-Converter-Adapter_W0QQitemZ250505976905QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Components?hash=item3a5351dc49#ht_4164wt_939
The second link is for connecting a SATA / IDE 3.5" (40-pin) or IDE 2.5" (44-pin) to the computer via the USB port.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-2-5-3-5-Hard-Drive-Converter-Cable_W0QQitemZ250554709600QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a56397660#ht_4382wt_939
Cheep as chips, should be arriving any day now.

Cheers
Phil

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »
Thanks for that, that's exactly what I need and didn't come up in the ebay uk search  :thumbup: