Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 3165 times)

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
Introduction
« on: January 09, 2010, 10:41:01 AM »
Hi, I've been reading this forum for about three weeks, found it stimulating my desire to get back to some projects left undone, and decided to join.  My name is John McClain, I'm a retired Marine, I worked in electronics repair for some twenty odd years, and have worked as a machinist in off duty time since I was a kid.  I've been building and rebuilding engines and cars, motorcycles, and any sort of machinery someone would pay me to do, or for free if the beer was supplied, since I was a kid, and seeing some of the inovative ideas on this forum particularly coming from another Country, is great, I'm having my second childhood with it.
    I've got a scale model radial engine I'm in the middle of, which I will start posting progress on, when and as I figure out how, and a few other projects laying around waiting for attention, including a good sized steam engine kit put out by "Tiny Power", it's their model they call "Ajax".
    All the strange icons and smiley faces are a bit intimidating to one unfamiliar with computers and modern messaging, but I guess I'll learn to use them too.  I've already gotten a great deal of pleasure out of seeing some of the engines that current members are working on, or have just gotten running, and look forward to more.
   I've got a pretty full machine shop, a full setup for welding of most any sort, and a fair wood working shop with a bit of practice at that as well.  I'm fifty two, a disabled veteran with Multiple Sclerosis, but I try not to let that interfere with my life.  I live out in the country, about twenty five miles from a couple small cities, and four miles from a town of about a thousand people.  I'm here to have fun and build engines.  Mad Jack

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 10:44:50 AM »
Looking forward to seeing the radial, Mad Jack!

Welcome to the collective :borg: where most of us haven't grown up

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 11:48:57 AM »
Hi there Mad Jack :wave: I'm sure you'll fit right in here, just remember to post up pics of what you are doing as  :worthless:  :D

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 01:53:02 PM »
Hi Mad Jack

Welcome to MadModder Jack.

As you will see there is a wide assortment of projects and interests in this forum. Perhaps you will show us some of yours when you have a chance. Every body says that  :worthless:. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask. There is always someone here to answer or at least give you an opinion.  :doh: Enjoy yourself and watch out for  :proj: .

Cheers   :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 04:52:20 PM »
Welcome to the collective John.  :borg:

Great varied interests you have there. Sounds a bit like me. To many interests and not enough time or energy to do them all.

Got to the "Gallery" section and read the post on Posting pictures by Divided Head (Ralph). My pictures are posted on my web site and linked to Mad Modder.

My wife has MS so know were your coming from. I retired at 50 with a bad ticker. Will be 59 in two months so know about disabilities. But don't let it stop ya.

Stick around long enough and you'll picj up on all the simleies and see where they are used and how.

Glad to have you aboard John. Looking forward to some pics when you get it figurred out. Need help just yell somebody will give you their opinion on how to do it best.  :lol:

Oh and you'll surely catch  :proj: somewere along the way.

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline usn ret

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 02:00:33 AM »
Welcome aboard Marine! :beer: This forum is a great place to spend waste some time. Lots of great projects inwork and many completed. A great place get and share info and ideas.  Probably about a 1000 years of professional and hobby experience available on this site. Just ask questions. I retired in 1988. Aviation Maintenance  Live near a little place called China Lake.
Cliff :coffee:
If it isn't broken your not looking hard enough!