Author Topic: a nine cylinder radial engine, plans by "ageless engines"  (Read 101389 times)

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
a nine cylinder radial engine, plans by "ageless engines"
« on: January 12, 2010, 11:31:31 AM »
Hi, I am starting a thread for a project I started about a year ago, but only became aware of this website recently, so I will be posting things completed in the past year or so, along with current efforts as I go forward.  I am new to forums, and will probably have some problems getting things posted rationally, but will do my best to get good pictures of what I'm doing, as I do it.  The engine is a scale model of a Pratt and Whitney nine cylinder radial, with a total of about eight cubic inches.  It has a bore and stroke of 1.000 X 1.125, I will be using a hall effect ignition with an external coil.  I have mostly completed the crankcase, the front cover, the front main bearing and many of the tools and fixtures that will be necessary for its building.  I've been waiting forty years to build this engine, I hope it turns out well.  Any help in the process of adding pictures would be greatly appreciated, I am at a total loss at this point.
mad jack

« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 11:51:03 AM by madjackghengis »

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: a nine cylinder radial engine, plans by "ageless engines"
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 12:08:57 PM »
Hi Madjack

This link may help

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=607.0

In short the best way to post pics is to use photo bucket, just open an account (its free) post your pic on there and copy the link over to madmodder.

Looking forward to seeing the progress on your radial

Cheers

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 12:40:13 PM »
Hi Madjack

This link may help

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=607.0

In short the best way to post pics is to use photo bucket, just open an account (its free) post your pic on there and copy the link over to madmodder.

Looking forward to seeing the progress on your radial

Cheers

Stew

Just what Stew says.......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 05:32:47 AM »
Can't wait to see this one!

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 08:29:23 AM »
Thanks Stew and others for backing him up with the advise, I spent hours trying to put photos in, to no avail.  I'll do the photo bucket thing and get some pics up for view.  One day I'll learn how to use this damned computer, maybe.
mad jack

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 11:02:16 AM »
Well, I got some photos on photo bucket, and we'll see how well my computer skills rack up.  I just finished some parts, but let me put the main part, the crankcase. 

Offline crankshafter

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 11:09:58 AM »
Well, I got some photos on photo bucket, and we'll see how well my computer skills rack up.  I just finished some parts, but let me put the main part, the crankcase. 

Hi mad jack.
Nice work :thumbup:
Ps: Let the pictures flow :worthless: :nrocks: :nrocks:

Crankshafter.

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 11:16:06 AM »
I tried to post multiple pictures, but failed, so I'm putting up another post, and see what happens.  When I was power tapping the 18 holes for the front cover, I broke the tap on number 17.  I figured tig welding as the best remedy, and tig welded a nice sized bead on the end of the tap, and managed to get it out with minimal damage after three or four tries with the tig torch.  It helped to heat the case with a propane torch while turning on the bead with vise grips.  I had the same problem with the front cover, one ought to learn from mistakes rather than just get better at making them, really.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:57:12 AM by Bernd »

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 11:43:02 AM »
Great pictures and work Madjack  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Judging by the rule alongside the crankcase its going to be a stonking big model.

Look forward to watching the build

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 03:34:09 PM »
Wow, this is huge!  :jaw: Excellent work!  :thumbup:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 03:26:16 AM »
Ohhhh....... My!  :bugeye:

This posting has now come alive..... Big time!  :clap:

Well done Jack!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 09:56:26 AM »
Well, I got some photos on photo bucket, and we'll see how well my computer skills rack up.

Ya did good Jack. A bit of refinement to your next pics. Might make it easier. There is an "img" icon in the reply that can be used. It's in the upper left hand corner under the "I" and will give you this when clicked "[imgAGE][ /imgAGE]" (had to write the full word out. You will only see the "img" part). All you need to do is put the link inbetween the the two. Also a space from one picture to the next makes the pictures easier to look at. At least to my old tired eye's.  :) I modified your to post to reflect the space between pictures.

Now on to your engine. Looking very nice. I'm already looking forward to the video of it running.

Bernd
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:58:47 AM by Bernd »
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 11:37:26 AM »
First, I've got to say a big thanks for all who have been helping me get my pictures on the forum, I couldn't do it without you guys.  The info from Stew is priceless, and does a good job getting a newbie going in the right direction.  The assist with space between pictures is also well appreciated.
      I'm just starting the process of tapping the 108 cylinder base stud holes, I've got two cylinders done, with only one broken tap, still have to get that one out, but will leave it until all the holes are tapped, as I might well break off another one, no point in firing up the tig welder for one tap with so many holes to go.  I'll post pictures of the tapping operation tomorrow, I was going to today, but I downloaded the pictures to someplace in my computer which is still a mystery to me.  So, I'm posting pictures of the head machining jig which will be used to machine the canted valve towers and their fins, as well as the spark plug holes and the top fins across the head between the towers.  Also a picture of an engine that is a bit bigger, but built from the ground up with my own design on much of it.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 02:45:03 PM »
Also a picture of an engine that is a bit bigger, but built from the ground up with my own design on much of it.

Almost looks like a Harley engine. Nice work.

I'd say you've got your picture posting down and now consider you a graduate. Still need to work on your avatar pic. Shows up as a red X. Need help?

Bernd

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 12:05:56 PM »
Hi Bernd,
    Well, I tried to put a picture up for my avatar, but I guess I do need help.  If it weren't for computers, I'd have a pretty good handle on life.  I can take them apart, remove components, solder in new ones, fix boards, change one component for another, but I can't hardly get the damned things to do anything I want, even when I threaten them with dissassembly and death, or a good lightning zap!!

This engine will need a whole new thread.  It's built now, but coming apart and getting completely rebuilt because I've got some parts I didn't have when I built it, and I don't like the stroke I built it with.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 06:33:32 PM »
Jack,

A rebuild post would be nice on that engine. Thanks.

I have almost the same problems with computers. They are getting way to complicated to run at times. I'll have to check in on how it's done since it's been a while. I'll get back to you when I've got it figured out.

Bernd

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 04:21:28 PM »
Nice bike engine too!

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 11:08:39 AM »
Well, after a bit of computer problems losing pictures, here are pictures of my tapping set up for the crankcase, and the results.

I've bolted an angle plate to my bench with a through bolt through the crankcase to hold it dead steady for tapping

Underneath the case is a 22 and 1/2 degree V-block to set the top cylinder flat level for tapping.

The secret weapon for tapping small holes

Another view of the setup

Using the secret weapon

Offline crankshafter

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 12:46:07 PM »
Hi ho jack.
Nice project/ work.  :beer:
One day I hope/ wish to build a radial engine. But right now I/ we need you to  explain how you use your secret weapon :scratch:
Crankshafter.

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 01:20:52 PM »
Helllloooo jack.

First thing I think your doing a great job and I am watching this build with great interest.
You seem to me to be a man after my own heart as making do with trash laying around the shop producing it into working machinery. Your skilled and talented, my hat off to you sir. :clap:

I in the past have made some pretty weird parts and machines in the shop as my wife would contest to by her looks she gives

me as to say “ you! Dear are off your rocker “    :wack:

which leads me to this, your secret weapon!. Let me say what I think it is by what I am seeing,  it’s a grease gun with a pipe-coupling on the end with the tap inserted as you tap it feeds grease to lubricate!. If it is, then even my buck shot peppered out of control mind would not have come up with that one.

:bugeye:

Thank you for showing this build.    All the best.   Anthony. :clap:
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 10:04:30 AM »
Ahhhh!! the secret weapon!  I've read many stories and many laments over the years, about the difficulty of getting the tappings out of small holes, as they tend to clog the flutes and can cause tap breakage.  I put a coupling on a small grease gun, tapped out to take the "needle" that comes with a air blow gun set, and I inject each hole full of grease before tapping.  As you tap, the tap entering, pushes the grease and cuttings up the flutes and out, at the same time lubricating the tap.
    Having just spent two and a half days tapping out some hundred and sixty or seventy #4-40 holes, I figured I needed a secret weapon, and it worked as planned, but I also learned considerable about small hole tapping.  Of the six taps I broke so far, one was broken because I bottomed it out, four were broken because they were started less than straight, and one was broken by side force used in attempting to straighten out the start with too much force.
   If you ream a good clean countersink after drilling, larger than the diameter of the tap, use a piece of steel with a guide hole drilled to start it straight, hold the tap holder between the thumb and forefinger, as close to the tap centered as possible.  Pressing down on the tap, with feel, get all the flutes touching, by feel, start the tap, with slight pressure, but focus on keeping the flutes feeling even in their bite.  Once you've got a full half turn that feels like the first thread has a full bite, continue to turn the tap while pulling up on the tap holder gently, this lets the tap absolutely follow the lead of the tap in the hole that exists, and allows it to ignore pressure in the wrong directions.  Once you have two full threads started by pulling up, you will find that you just have to move your finger and thumb out a little at a time to gine the leverage necessary, to tap straiught in.  If you do not hit a strong moment of opposition, tap straight through to the end.  Otherwise, back off when it gets tough, enough to break the chips.
Mad Jack

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 11:37:21 AM »
First, for Crankshafter, a stove, because when you live in Norway, you need one for your shop.  This one is made from a three hundred gallon propane tank and heats my forty by sixty foot shop well.

a photo of two broken taps

another view

the third broken tap

drilling down to get the last of the last broken tap

with the last of the tap removed, the whiole is welded up to be re-machined

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
Jack.

I must say that’s a unique way of tapping small bore threads, I read your post with utmost intensity, I too do a lot of small bore tapping I will give your experience of this way of tapping a trial. Thank you for your detailed explanation..

All the best.    Anthony
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 07:21:40 PM »
Not to distract from your excellent engine build, and welding rescue work  :clap:

I do like your heater  :)
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline crankshafter

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 09:56:26 AM »
Hi madjack.
Wish I have space for such neat "little" stove. :bugeye: But now I do know where the  the Global Warming started :bugeye: :bugeye:
BTW: Jack thanks for showing how you "secret weapon" works. :clap: :clap: Def. will try it out.
Crankshafter.