Author Topic: "Sally Shaper" got modified!  (Read 4801 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
"Sally Shaper" got modified!
« on: January 13, 2010, 05:07:47 PM »
I was getting a little tired phutzing around with a set square et al positioning work on the table of my little Adept 2 shaper so I did the obvious thing. :dremel:

I dropped a pointed tool down to make contact with the table and used the ram to scribe a series (5cm spacings) of lines now I know that work aligned with those will be cut square by the machine. :med:

Such a simple thing and I do not think a picture is necessary. :coffee:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Raggle

• In Memoriam
  • Newtown, Powys, Mid-Wales
Re: "Sally Shaper" got modified!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 08:05:36 PM »
Thanks for the timely tip

I just acquired Sally's smaller sister (Adept 1A) who I suppose I will have to christen Silly Shaper. Haven't cut metal yet as it's been below zero here since her arrival.

First job was going to be t-nuts but now you've given me a nutless job.

Ray
still turning handles  -  usually the wrong way

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 08:19:01 PM »
Hi Ray, it would be really nice to see a picture of Silly Shaper,  is she a manual job?

It was while I was struggling with my set square that I found the table is not actually square!  But apart from that she is a dear wee machine and the only one in the shop with a name (I suppose I could have Lionel Lathe, Wally Welder, Dennis Drill and of course Baldric Bandsaw! :scratch:)
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 12:28:16 AM »
John

That is a very good tip. Sometimes they are so simple that they get overlooked.  :ddb: :ddb:

I do like the idea of names for the tools. I believe that some of the tools no doubt already have names that were given to them in a moment of anger but can't be repeated here since this is a family channel.  :lol: :lol:

OK, I'll go back to massaging the keys on Kelly the Keyboard!!  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Raggle

• In Memoriam
  • Newtown, Powys, Mid-Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 07:55:49 PM »
Sorry for the slow reply  -  we had to get a new router (not the wood whittling type) so connection has been down for a while.

I can't post a pic yet (I'll try soon) but Silly is identical to the one on Tony Griffiths site

http://www.lathes.co.uk/adeptshaper/

with the exception of the cross feed handle which is longer and a bigger diameter. This has required that Silly be put on a pedestal (2 strips of wood) so when it is bolted down to the bench this knob clears it. It's the one with 3 tee slots.

I won't take a pic of where it is now bolted, far too messy a bench.

I've been wanting one of these for so long and at last it's here. I'd never seen one in the flesh.

First impressions  -  Silly is in wonderful condition, the table is as yet unmarked until I install those useful guidelines.

There is a tiny bit of shake in the slides somewhere but I'm confident that nipping up the gibs will be a complete cure. In preparing to do the lines I found that the table is slighly higher at the front than the back so I haven't done that yet. Maybe a bit of beer can shim at the top of the vertical face will get it right.

The crossfeed screw is a useful 10 tpi acme thread. Downfeed screw on the ram is 20 tpi.

With the tool hanging vertical it touches the table edge at the right hand edge but reaches about an inch short of the left hand edge.

Ram travel is 3"  -  cross feed 3-1/2"

Silly has another sister Sue  -  she's a Sue-per Adept lathe (what else?)

Now to get busy with tee nuts

Ray
still turning handles  -  usually the wrong way