Author Topic: A horizontal boring mill/lathe project  (Read 17285 times)

Offline S_J_H

A horizontal boring mill/lathe project
« on: January 15, 2010, 01:39:49 PM »
It all started when I saw an ad on craigslist for a Russell T. Gilman box way slide. I found the slide to be like new with no wear at all. This is a high end machine slide, made in Wisconsin, USA. SKF bought them out a while ago.
The slide is made of meehanite iron, hardened and ground ways, fully scraped in surfaces on the table slide along with anti-friction coating.
It weighed in at around 200lbs and around 36" long. It is accurate to within .0005" over a 36" span.
This would become the z axis and foundation for the entire machine.

Continued-

Offline S_J_H

Re: A horizontal boring mill/lathe project
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 01:58:15 PM »
So I decided I wanted to try and make a machine capable of line boring, be usable as a horizontal mill as well as a lathe. It would be cnc'd as well.
I did not create any cad drawings and built this machine on the fly. I was using this machine as a sort of guide.-

I used a mini mill headstock and installed better bearings in it. I machined the box way slide and mounted a mini mill z-axis column to it.
I mounted a dovetail way to the side of the mill head and made a z-axis acme screw system.
I now had a headstock with about 8" or so of travel. I mounted another mini mill column on a slide table to the right of the headstock and cross slide table. This would become the outboard support for work and/or line boring bars with the same amount of travel to match the headstock.

Continued-

Offline S_J_H

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 02:25:44 PM »
So now we'll jump to the end of the project,
The machine is cnc'd presently in 3 axis. The table x and y and the spindle is cnc'd for continuous or indexing machining.
It's a cnc boring mill,indexer and lathe.
The planetary gearbox drives the spindle for 3 reduction ratios and a 4th higher speed which bypasses the gearbox.
The machine has a good rpm range from 0 to 2900rpm.
The spindle has a ring gear on the left hand side and a stepper motor is mounted on a eccentric with a worm gear drive. Rotating the stepper engages the spindle and locks in place with a detent ball.
The outboard column is used to support line boring bars or arbors for horizontal milling/sawing. It is fully adjustable to keep the work or tooling straight and uses a rack and pinion for movement along with a fine feed. Bushings are replaceable to suit whatever size needed.
The headstock uses a acme screw and delrin nut and is pretty much backlash free.

The headstock also has a separate brace to further improve rigidity. The deflection at the spindle end is better that my x3 mill.
The long axis is driven by ballscrew with dual preloaded nuts. The cross slide is driven by the same arrangement and also use linear rails/trucks. This is going to be changed soon to a much larger table and dovetail ways.
I also built a separate mill/drill head with a quill that can be mounted on the table for many uses. I made it from an old drill press head and made a new spindle with integral 3/8" endmill holder and good bearing support.

The machine-

Here is a video showing the planetary drive system in action-

Here are some of the very first videos of it in action in lathe mode-

Steve

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 03:02:09 PM »
Steve,

Thank you for a most excellent post. You are truely a very talented person. From design to building that machine is a true example of Mad Modding. I  :bow: to you.

Your machine reminds me of the large line boring machine they used at the place I worked. What keeps the table on the rails, just it's weight? Interesting idea using two mini mill columns for the Z-axis.

Again great work and thanks for the time you took to post.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 03:11:33 PM »
very impressive  :bugeye:

it looks like you have built machines and done some cnc work in you time.
can't wait to see what you make with this machine.

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline Rubes

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 03:59:16 PM »
Yep, Steve is quite the machine builder. And all done with just plans in his head...no CAD :bugeye: One of the most practical down to earth guys I know.
Here is another one of his creations that I now have the honor of owning (just need to put it back together since he did take a few bits to make that Horizontal Boring Machine).
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40584

Oh yeah, I can pretty much guarantee you that what he will be building with this machine is another cool machine.

Rubes

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 04:26:03 PM »
Yep, Steve is quite the machine builder. And all done with just plans in his head...no CAD :bugeye: One of the most practical down to earth guys I know.
Here is another one of his creations that I now have the honor of owning (just need to put it back together since he did take a few bits to make that Horizontal Boring Machine).
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40584

Oh yeah, I can pretty much guarantee you that what he will be building with this machine is another cool machine.

Rubes

I remember watching that build on the Zone. Very nice Steve!

This one is very cool as well!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 04:38:18 PM »
Steve  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for sharing , great job ,alot of food for thought  :thumbup:

Cheers Rob

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 05:28:21 PM »
Very cleaver bit of work their Steve

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for showing and sharing with us.

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline S_J_H

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 12:04:29 PM »
Thanks everybody. I built the machine with the capabilities  in  past projects I wish I had.
The machine still needs a lot more work and it's not as nice as Jackarys  work of art he calls "Stepperhead" http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=32574&highlight=stepperhead , but it is a very capable machine.

What keeps the table on the rails, just it's weight? Interesting idea using two mini mill columns for the Z-axis.

I used the mini mill columns I bought from LMS as they were perfectly sized, cast iron and priced right. There was no way I could make them from scratch cheaper.

No ,the tables are held in place with box ways. These box ways are very heavy duty, much more robust than the dovetail ways on my x3 mill.
In the pics the cross slide table is on  Hiwin linear rails. These are very rigid, constrained in all directions and very low friction.
http://www.automation4less.com/linhd.htm
But I have a much larger dovetail table I acquired from a trade with Rube that will be replacing the thin /small  cross feed table presently on the machine.

The tables for the  saddle and outboard support column are
box way slides. Very rigid, more so than dovetails or the linear rails and very accurate.
Here is some info from SKF-

Yeah you are probably right Rube. But my next machine is not going to look like a mad scientist with an erector set. I want to build something elegant like Jackarys machine.
Down the road a bit though.
Steve

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 12:06:03 PM by S_J_H »

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 07:25:32 PM »
Steve,

Thanks for all the info and links. Enjoyed them very much.  :thumbup:

I now have machine envy seeing those photo's in the links. Your machine is quite unique after seeing the original Metalmaster Lathe.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Krown Kustoms

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 08:44:55 PM »
Steve,

A work of art! I looked at some of your other projects and am in awe.
Thanks for reminding us that nothing is impossible.
-B-   
-B-