Author Topic: Computer Woes  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Computer Woes
« on: January 19, 2010, 09:59:22 PM »
Well my main computer I use decided today to let the ATA main disk fly south for ever. Luckily I store all my info on the second hard drive. I think the motor crapped out on the main drive.

In the mean time I've got my spare up and running. Only thing is some of the software is a bit hokey. So if you see I haven't been on in a while that'll be why.

I hope to build a new one in February after I've paid my county taxes. I think there might be enough left in the coffers to get a new one. I'm going to order parts and put it together myself, kind of like a kit build. It'll also allow me to upgrade to Windows 7. Got a chance to play with Windows 7 on the wifes new laptop. I like it.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline crabsign69

Re: Computer Woes
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 10:19:03 PM »
ive built many computers my self and like it very much . u get what u want in there and nothing else .
those drives do give up but at least u got a back thats good news. 
hope u have a pleasant build  and why not show us the build as u go maybe a few blings here and there :mmr:

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 08:25:03 AM »
I built all my own computers for years.  Recently, however, I've gone with Dell.  Unless you're going to be building with bleeding edge technology, you can't touch the prices of the big guys.  The last one, I priced out the components, and only saved about $50 over the same thing from Dell.  And that doesn't include the hassle of ordering from 5 different places, assembling the whole mess and then installing the OS.  Having done it a zillion times for me, family and friends, I'll spend the 50 bucks and call it a day.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 09:27:06 AM »
crabsign69,

My thoughts exactly. I was also thinking about doing a post on it.

Roger,

It's not about the money. It's as crabsign69 stated, you get to put in it what you want. Besides it's sort of a second hobby. The parts will probably all come from one place, Tiger Direct. I've ordered from them before and it looks like they provide the most verity and the best prices.

Bernd

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 01:28:40 PM »
Just got connected with the wifes new laptop,wireless too.

Discovered I might also have modem problems. Spent almost 2 hours with a tech getting this laptop setup. Tech should be here tomorrow to mseem if the modem is working properly.

Bernd