Author Topic: Metal cutting saw ?  (Read 9003 times)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Metal cutting saw ?
« on: January 23, 2010, 09:51:11 AM »
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_12786.htm

At Aldi from next Thursday.

Any good ?

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline John Rudd

Re: Metal cutting saw ?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 10:39:08 AM »
Probably ok for softer metals...

You cant beat the Evo Rage series... :thumbup:

I have the 14in beast that I got from Aldi when they were on offer last time....its great for carving up 1/2 in steel plate.. :D
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 06:49:48 PM »
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_12786.htm

At Aldi from next Thursday.

Any good ?

John S.

Its a good job you mentioned the saw in the subject line - as when I brought up that page the first thing to be seen is a banner advert for "Award winning anti-wrinkle anti-aging beauty cream" ! - and if it was any good, I'm not sure I'd tell anyone !!

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 06:24:49 AM »
I had a look at one of these saws (or rather, the box it was in) in the local Aldi. The blurb said it will cut 6mm mild steel. The "no load" speed is stated to be 4500rpm, and the blade diameter is 110mm, or about 4". If my mental arithmetic is still working, that gives a circumference of about a foot, and hence 4500sfm. Wow! - though it would obviously slow down a bit under load.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 06:28:32 AM »
I bought one, well for 30 quid I thought why not... :)

Besides, my aging circular saw burst into flames a couple of weeks ago, quite literally ...  :bang:

Not used the new saw yet so can't comment, maybe later today as I have some household jobs to tackle  :dremel:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 06:33:08 AM »
I bought one anyway, was going to and just put the link up for others.

Works great, cut a sheet of 4mm steel up into 90mm wide strips, clean edges, very fast and best bit is no distortion.

Also cut a 2mm sheet of alloy up but that was a no brainer, well it was to me as I don't have a hand held circular saw.
Tried it on a sheet of 12mm alloy and it wizzed thru.

I can see this being a useful piece of kit, at least for what I do. I also have the Evolution chop saw but they won't handle sheet.

John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 06:36:40 AM »
You did put a link up before John, and that's why I have one now  :thumbup:

Glad to hear it's doing fine for you, I have an evolution too and if it cut anything like that I will be pleased  :ddb:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 03:14:15 PM »
I tried the saw out today, a bit of gate work and trimming the bottom off a door. Ok it's not metal but the saw cuts really neatly like butter. Far neater than my old circular saw.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 03:23:02 PM »
My saw broke  :(

I was only cutting some wood with it. The blade spins freely enough but it's no longer connected to the motor. Something has sheared  :zap:

I have the receipt, but Aldi won't have a replacement  :doh:

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 03:50:19 PM »
Clumsy bastard

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 06:02:47 PM »
Ah yes John, but the clumsy bastard fixed it tonight  :dremel:

As suspected the problem was a shear pin in the gearbox. Funny thing is the "pin" was a small ball bearing and it had shattered completely.
It locates a normal spur gear onto a small shaft and the gear has a normal slotted keyway. The shaft just has a blind hole, 3mm for point of reference.

So I made a new key from some 3mm silver steel rod long enough to need the gear to be pressed on. Quite simple and hopefully should be stronger than the original. You have to strip the thing down pretty much all the way to gain access, but don't remove the motor  :thumbup:

Sorry no pic's as I just got on with it, but it's simple enough to do if you find yours goes the same way as mine did.