Author Topic: Mega Cyclone  (Read 12561 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Mega Cyclone
« on: December 23, 2009, 08:32:50 PM »
In the process of getting my shop more organized. I found a few chunks of Bronze that I had squirreled away. I've been planing on building this engine for some time now. I took today off to get some stuff done and decided to play instead:o) Here is the first page of the plans. I'm going to make everything twice as big :dremel: as the prints call for. Petty much everything will stick to the plans accept for a couple of items. The frame will be welded up instead of a casting. I have a 19" 3 bladed propeller that I plan on mounting on the engine. This will be a fun engine to build I think. I do plan on running this on steam.

I'll clean up the pictures I have and post them later :D

Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
Re: Mega Cyclone
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 09:21:09 PM »
Here are the first day's parts. I managed to get the crank valve and the crank bearing housing turned. Man this thing is going to be big :)

Here is a close up of the crank valve. The original was built up from several pieces. I don't think the author had a mill? I started with a piece of 2" shaft. I'll mill the steam ports into the valve instead of silver soldering the pieces in. I left the bearing surfaces slightly big. I'll turn thm down to final size after the ports are milled.

Next I'll start on the crank case. I'm trying to get all the hard pieces made first.
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline slowcoach

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 09:39:16 AM »
Hey, that things going to be brutal  :clap:

Rob

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 11:05:57 AM »
Wes,

Does that build also include plans for the boiler? From the picture it looks like a nice boiler unit to build.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 11:13:13 AM »
Yes Bernd, It has the plans for the boiler. I'll make the plans into a PDF and post them here. Some of the dimensions are kind of hard to read though. They were published in a 1952 Science and Mechanics mag.
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 11:22:04 AM »
Untill then here is the link to my photobucket Album for the Cyclone

Cyclone stuff

Merry Christmas!!!!!
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 11:30:42 PM »
I didn't get much done today. I did start roughing out the pistons and the crank bearing. I'm using some scrap cast iron. It turns out it's not the best quality though. It has a few inclusions/holes in it. I think it'll be OK though. There will be extra room for oil:o)

Here is the chunk I have. The Big CNC mill at work has a 5000 pound counter balance weight that holds the head up. The chain broke on it and it dropped. When it hit it knocked 2 of these off the base.

I'm cutting it up to make pistons out of.

I set them up in my 4 jaw and turned the pieces round. I'll press the bearing into the housing in the morning.

Wesley P

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 02:11:37 AM »
Wow looks like it`ll be great! Good find with the steel.
Chris

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 06:27:58 PM »
I managed to get all the square stuff turned round. Here I'm drilling out the crankcase bearing. i like Black and white machine shop pictures\o/

Once drilled, I could bore it out. Since it will be pressed into the bearing housing, I left the bore small. I'll bore it out to size after it is pressed together.

I have a little press in the shed. Man its cold out there. I left about .003" interference between the two pieces. It took about 1000 pounds to assemble the tro pieces.

I cut the piece a little long on my bandsaw. I'll just trim it to legnth while I have it set up to bore it to final size.

I'll spend the rest of the day working on the drawings.
Wesley P

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 07:17:01 PM »
looking good wes  :thumbup:

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 10:00:27 PM »
Thanks Chuck:o) I have a half a dozen more parts drawn up now. I have combined a couple of the parts that were  soldered togather. I'm tempted to CNC a couple of the parts. But I think I'll do them manually?
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 10:38:35 PM »
A few of the pieces on my version of the Cyclone I'm changing a little.  The Crank Disc/Pin was drawn as two separate parts. I thought it would be more fun to make them as a single piece. I had a piece of that cast iron almost big enough. It's a little small on the OD, but it just has to keep the crank bearing on. I think it will work fine. It has a .750" "throw" so a one inch indicator was out of the question to indicate it in. I ended up marking out the center and using a center point out of a wiggler set to locate the center of the pin. I got the piece pretty close then I used a indicator on the shaft to dial it in. It's not the best way to do this, but it's all I had and I wanted to start cutting metal\o/

Here I am just starting.

About half way through.

Done!!!

Ok, not done, done. But close. I need to drill a bolt hole in the center of the pin for a keeper. Then I'll saw it off a little long and face off the other side.

I took a short video so you could see some action. I'm taking .125" off the diameter here.

More later.....
Wesley P

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 08:43:59 AM »
This looks fun!!!!  :bugeye:

Some people find the maddest projects!  :dremel:

Gonna like to see this one take shape I think  :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 08:53:51 AM »
Sounds like a steam engine running at a slow and steady pace.  :clap:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 02:58:47 PM »
Excellent video`s power keg. I noticed in your last video you were turning quite slow, I think I need to consider turning speeds more as I`m thinking I turn too fast!

Chris

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 04:04:50 PM »
Chris. I was turning slow because the work was way off balance. Also I had an interrupted cut. I wanted to, and easily could have went faster. With Carbide tooling you have to push manual machine pretty hard to be going too fast. At work we have quite a few parts that have a lot of metal removal. I'll usually run 300-500 RPM taking cuts around .250" off the diameter. Sometimes most of the insert is glowing red. I'll try and get a video next time:o)

I'm going to try and get a base knocked together. That way all my parts have someplace to live. I have most of the metal for it. This thing is bigger than I thought it would be :headbang:

Better get off to the shop:o)

Wes
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 12:49:37 PM »
I cut the crank disc/pin off the bar with my band saw. I then chucked it up, on the pin, in the collet chuck on my little South bend. I was able to face the part off to length pretty easily this way. I think I need to start on the base for this engine pretty soon so I have a place to put some of my pieces. Here is a quick picture. There is a hole all the way through the pin so the con rods can get a little lube.

Thanks for looking.
Wesley P

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 02:15:27 PM »
Nice work PK and thanks for the reply above, only just seen it. Look forward to seeing it running.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 02:22:26 PM »
Here are a couple of the pieces for the base I'm going to build for this engine. The ring will be cut off at the white lines and the slug at the top will be machined and then welded to the arch. I still need to come up with some feet for the arch to be welded to.

Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 07:21:28 PM »
The crank valve has been bugging me so I decided to work on that some today. I set up my dividing head and lined everything up.

I set up my height gauge to the center of the valve then scribed some indexing lines on it.

I couldn't find my edge finder, So I used a piece of paper. That will be close enough for these slots.

I then started machining key ways around the shaft the "hard way". It went pretty good. My Chinese end mill went dull, but I made it through.

After I had the keys machined I needed to drill a port to connect the intake port to the hole in the center of the shaft. I started with a center drill.

I then drilled the hole to size.

Here Is what I have now. There are a few more holes that get drilled and tapped yet. It will take a few more setups to get them though.

Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 10:33:41 AM »
I tried to get the con rods made up. I ended up donating 2 of them to the scrap bin. The .3125" reamer chattered really bad. I had my mill going as slow as it would go? Maybe I'll have to learn about D reamers?
Wesley P

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 03:55:02 PM »
Hi Wes

Looking good mate  :thumbup:, sorry to here about the con rods ,we all have days like that

Regards Rob

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 10:04:59 PM »
Im going to try and make me a couple D bit reamers\o/ I'll do it tomorrow or the next day.
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 08:55:46 PM »
I have a good start on my D bit reamers.

I just need to grind the end relief on it. I don't think I'll even heat treat them? I'm just cutting brass.

:wave: :wave: :wave:
Wesley P

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 10:37:20 AM »
Hi Powderkeg,
   I just wanted to say, for a "D" bit type reamer for brass or bronze, one can merely cut off a piece of drill rod at an acute angle, stone the angled face to a nice finish, and harden it, or do the same with a piece of cold rolled, and case harden it, and you will get a good working reamer that will ream a very nice tight hole.  If depth is a problem, you can cut off most of the sharp tip, just don't cut off behind where the full diameter is, and it will work quite well.  These also work well in aluminum with good lubrication, and on a one or two time basis on steel.  They have a tendency to gall in steel so lots of cutting oil, and don't temper at all, leave glass hard, and stone with the finest stone you have.  This is also known as a "watch maker's reamer" or so my grand dad told me.
mad jack