Author Topic: Jib crane or beam  (Read 4493 times)

Offline digr

Jib crane or beam
« on: February 24, 2010, 12:08:21 PM »
Hi all I am new been lurking for about a month, great site, I am a retired welder by trade and am getting into a little machining. I was looking at the great job Davo did on his jib crane and decided to make my first post.  A few years ago I was trying to decide which to go with a jib or a beam. I decided to go with the beam. Maybe this will give someone  a idea.    

Ted

Offline Davo J

Re: Jib crane or beam
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 06:57:38 PM »
Hi,
That beam is not going to move in a hurry good job, and serves the purpose well.
Mine is limited on reach but suits what it was made for.
Davo

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 09:26:39 AM »
First welcome to the collective Ted.  :borg:

That beam is very well supported. I was wondering in the first pic what was keeping it from bowing in the middle. Your drawing depicts nicely how it was done.

Now a bit of a saftey question. You don't work under the vehicle with it just suspended from the chain right? You do put supports up under the front end in case the chain or hoist gives out? I know your showing the strength of your beam construction here. I'm just hoping nobody thinks they can work under a vehicle just suspended by what you show.

Thanks for the nice pictures and the time you've taken to show us your setup. Hope to see more pics of your shop.

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline digr

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 09:33:48 PM »
NO NO I never go under anything without support, thats one thing my dad drove into my head!!!!!    Only for the pics and thanks