Author Topic: 626 Mill  (Read 8716 times)

Rob.Wilson

626 Mill
« on: February 08, 2010, 12:39:52 PM »
Hi Lads

Well as i hate having nowt to do i have started yet another project , I got a 626 mill a week or so ago , and its time i started putting it back together , Me and my bad back managed to get the main casting back on the base ,and into the shop ,

I gave it the once over to see were i could get some extra travell , and noticed that the knee dose not go right to the bottom , it stops short . room for inprovement there.

I then stripped of the knee and all the electrics ,and gave it a good cleen and quick rub down .

tonight when i came in from work i chucked some piant at it

Cheers Rob

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: 626 Mill
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 03:32:03 PM »
Rob,

That paint job must have made the house smell pretty?  :)

I think that gray color looks better than looking at that yellow. I remember once painting machines by back at work when things were slow. We had to paint the guards a safety yellow. I was very sick by the end of the day looking at that yellow paint. I know it wasn't the fumes because when I looked at anything yellow after that I got a sick feeling to my stomach.

Anyway I ramble and this is your thread. So I'll shut up and watch from the stool with my coffee and give you moral suport on this project.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Trion

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 04:18:34 PM »
Another project just started, and it's already beginning to take form! Well done, looking forward to further updates :thumbup:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 10:32:22 PM »
Off to a nice start. Kinda jealous, the 626 is a decent machine. Would fit well in the limited room I have.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Davo J

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 01:56:53 AM »
Nicely done Rob, I also love rebuilding things it give me a kick seeing the end results. Knowing your capabilities, that will be a good mill when you’re finished.
I have a HM52 H/V mill and I notched the top front of my knee out where the nut hit and added a spacer between the knee and the thrust bearing block so the saddle didn’t hit the hand wheel. I also removed the factory DRO stops to get more travel out of the y. I have it out to 290mm from 160mm. They advertise mine as 220mm Y travel?  It was also advertised as 600mm X travel but only had 560mm. Moving the table stops also has it out to 670mm.
You may be able to do something similar.
Davo

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 08:23:45 PM »
tonight when i came in from work i chucked some piant at it 

I just wish I could chuck paint as evenly and smoothly as you Rob  :thumbup:

C'mon ............... spill the beans .............. more details on the "paint chucking" required mate .............. cos' it looks dam good  :thumbup:

CC

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 05:13:23 PM »
How's things going with the Mill Rob  :dremel:

CC

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 05:10:06 PM »
Hi Lads

CC , the mill is going very slowly mate , I have done my back in ,and after being at work all day all i can manage is an hour in the shop some nights . The paint job was just a quick flash over with my favorate colour , I sprayed it with 2K , it looks better in the photos .

Yep Bernd It dose make the house smell just a tad ,the smell dose not impress the wife .

Davo , i will be doing the same ,trying to get an extra inch here and there , There is always room for impovment in these small machines , any photos of your mill ?

Eric , From what i have seen taking the machine apart its a well constructed piece of kit , i am looking forwad to using it .

Trion , i seem to have far to much on the go , one day when i have the machines and shop the way i want it , i can slow down and build some engines

Cheers Rob

Offline Trion

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 03:13:55 AM »
.. one day when i have the machines and shop the way i want it , i can slow down and build some engines

We seem to have quite the same view upon things :beer:

Offline Davo J

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 02:49:40 AM »
Hi Rob, this is my mill. I have fitted a DRO to it with the X axis DRO scale to the front and the extra Y and Z power feeds. I have another DRO off my old mill that is ready to go on the quill and ram, all I need is some time.

I know how you guys loves pictures so I thought I'd thow some in.

The next 2 pictures is of my latest project from over christmas a homemade 500kg jib crane with an 500kg electric winch.

And the last picture shows the cleanup I did of the inside of the inside knee. I have cleaned up most of the insides of casting on the whole mill as they were really rough. The out side will come a bit latter as it took me the best part of 3 months  :doh: to do what I did, but thats the hardest part out of the way. I went that far cleaning it up because I am going to CNC it and want a clean base to start with.

Davo

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 03:52:59 PM »
Hi Davo

Thats a very nice setup you have there , :thumbup:  , your mill looks like it will make a great CNC ,very solid looking , There was allot of crap on the inside of my mill castings ,lots of sand, I now have crane envy , yours beats my steel beem and pull lift  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:, Great job

Cheers Rob

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 06:33:33 PM »
HI Lads

Well i thought i would do a bit work on the mill tonight , well work was trying hard to stop me ,i hate being on call .

I setup the knee on the mill so i could remove a section of the casting to give me a bit more travel .

the section to be removed

all done

And a swaf shot for Darren  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not allot for a nights work ,but i did get called out to three seperate jobs  :(

Cheers Rob  :nrocks:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 06:48:19 PM by Rob.Wilson »

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 06:43:59 PM »

And a swaf shot for Darren  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Rob,
Now I know I'm at least doing something right seeing that swarf ...... you make everything look so easy  :clap:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Davo J

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 03:46:55 AM »
Nice job Rob,
That's around the same amount I took off mine. My lead screw finished about the same spot, so I made a spacer up to bring the whole thrust bearing collar out from the knee about 45mm to alow the extra travel.
Keep up the good work.
Dave