Author Topic: Just arrived  (Read 4245 times)

BarryK

Just arrived
« on: February 13, 2010, 10:36:24 AM »
Hello all

I'm Barry, retired Instrument Tech from Essex UK - interests are fishing, home engineering and anything that clicks, bangs or whizzes.

Have a small but well equipped workshop with Myford S7 lathe, Warco A1s knee mill and loads of other stuff that may come in handy sometime.

Cheers  :beer:

Offline Space Fan

Re: Just arrived
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 11:38:42 AM »
Welcome BarryK,
We are looking forward to seeing some of what comes from your shop.
BarryS

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 02:58:59 PM »
Hi there Barry :wave: welcome to madmodders, pull up a chair and join in the fun.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 03:56:11 PM »
Welcome to the collective Barry.  :borg:

Sounds like your all set for machining, retired, have the machines. Now all you need is several projects going at once.  :lol:

Enjoy and have fun.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 11:13:19 AM »
Hi Barry!

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Lets see the shop! Show us some pictures.

What kind of fishing?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

BarryK

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 02:25:34 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome folks..........

I like all kinds of fishing - but for the last few years I've not been able to get out as much as I would like - Usually it's split evenly between Fly fishing for trout and some freshwater coarse fishing.

Workshop is a single garage, about 21 feet by 8 - I've used the Myford for around 40 years and owned it for the last 30, the Warco mill is fairly new to me, bought it about 2 years ago, prior to that I had a Sealey RF30 type mill/drill.

I've usually got several projects on - ongoing at the moment are:
1) restoring an old Giant ally framed push bike - nearly done, just need to fit all the cables, brakes and gear levers and it'll be ready to ride - whether I'll be able to ride it very far remains to be seen..........

and

2) gradually restoring the mechanics of the Myford, just a bit at a time so I continue to have access to turning.
I've finished the trueing up the ways - not by scraping, but by using the 3rd (unworn way) as a guide, and with a couple of simple jigs, trueing the remaining ways using Diamond hones.
I can imagine all the purists having a fit at that last statement, but it worked for me.

Also I have lots of ideas whizzing around my head for a simple(ish) T&C grinder - I'm begining to run out of sharp end mills and slot drills - must find a way to sharpen a few!

Workshop is looking like a real skip at the moment - last summer my son insulated the roof with some of that Aluminium coverered stuff, 4" thick, it's made a hell of a difference to the Summer and Winter temperatures but I've lost so much storage space in the roof that I can barely move around at the moment - really must get rid of some of that "It'll come in handy if I never use it" stuff.

Cheers
Barry

I'll put some pics up when I get the chance...........don't hold your breath  
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 02:28:54 PM by BarryK »

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 03:57:16 PM »
Workshop is looking like a real skip at the moment

All sounds very familiar Barry  :clap: .............. welcome to the board, I'm sure you'll fit right in

CC

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 10:27:49 PM »
Barry

Welcome to MadModders Barry. That "It'll come in handy if I never use it" stuff can present quite a problem. If you keep it there is never any need for it, but if you throw it to the skip then you start finding uses for most of it within days of getting rid of it.  :lol: :lol:  Have fun making swarf with what you keep.  :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline mickn

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 08:05:38 AM »
Hi Barry,
Welcome aboard they are a friendly bunch here,What part of Essex are you from? I am from Hornchurch and have recently aquired a Myford super 7 so I hope to be picking up some advice from you.
cheers Mick

BarryK

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
Hi Mick - I'm only just down the road in Basildon and if I can be of any help whatsoever, please be my guest...

Cheers
Barry