Author Topic: An Arkie  (Read 5573 times)

Offline Alphawolf45

An Arkie
« on: August 12, 2008, 10:11:31 AM »
  I'm Steven from Arkansas USA. .I play fulltime in my workshop..I am building parts for an eventual steam launch , have engine built and running am working on building pumps now....And I build 'antique' guns for fun too, presently building a functional replica Stevens Tip-up pistol......
..My hobby shop is 60 foot by 60 foot with another 20 by 20 foot room upstairs for electronics work and another 20 by 20 foot for storage deck... I have 4 vertical mills (2 are cncs) and 4 lathes, surface grinder , welders , bandsaws, 100 ton hydraulic press, big compressor, full foundry..heat treating furnace , hardness tester..forklift...none of that stuff is first class , I either buy very good bargains or buy junk and rebuild it...
 I been using tools for 30 years...I have never found anything that I like doing more than building or rebuilding something..
 Eventually I want to build full sized fully usable replica of Harley Davidson motorcycle of approx.1915 vintage..Want to build engine , transmission, tanks , frame , all of it...Really I am looking for group or forum where others are interested in large projects..This that kind of place?
I am not actually retired ,I merely find myself disabled by an intolerance for productive activity.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: An Arkie
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 07:25:03 PM »
Hi Steven

Yup it is that kinda place. We are a little slow right now as the membership builds. I haven't done any serious advertising for new members just yet. I have some motorcycle projects in the works as well. A cafe styled retro build using modern stuff. I am going to be building the body work, gas tank and a bunch of other things in carbon fiber. Presently designing the frame of a reverse street trike powered by a 1000cc V-twin bike engine. Some other motorcycle projects including custom frames, kits for 250cc scooters and a crap load of parts.

I have seen some of your work on a gun forum I lurked around for awhile. Very nice stuff sir!

Your hobby shop sounds like a dream for a lot of us.

My wife has been after me to build her a early Indian replica. Can't wait to see what you do with a HD.

You will probably recognize everyone on this site as we are all cross overs from HMEM. Some of us wanted a place we could talk about our hobbies that were not model related.

Eric

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 07:34:58 PM by Brass_Machine »
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 07:26:05 PM »

s...I have never found anything that I like doing more than building or rebuilding something..

That statement fits most of us I believe!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 08:15:34 AM »
Eric
  Excellent..Your motorcycle projects are the stuff that fuels my imagination and enthusiasm..Motorcycles were my entire life for many years..
   HMEM....I not much interested in models...Was wanting to rub elbows with persons building/using fullsized gas engines and steam engines , and those type projects are not well represented over there or anywhere else I can find..
  Scratch build antique Harley replica..I am not quite there yet,still gathering skills and machinery but am nearing in on capability to scratch build early Harley or Indian or Ace or Henderson....One major obstacle is I am still not setup to cast iron....And I am hunting a good between centers cylindrical grinder....I cover those couple bases , then I will launch into the  3 or 4 year long project..
 Guns are just perfect sized little projects . Kinda amazing that its still legal to build a fully functional firearm in America...I like the classic singleshots..Mostly I like .22 single shot rifles because they not to loud,, can finish a gun and shoot it as much as I want in my rural backyard, the noise dont bother my neighbors much.
 Checking the list of members here...Not many yet. and mostly guys from thuther group...So safe to assume nobody here scratch builds full scale gas engines?.....ohhhhh..Heres a thought I am playing with..I may get an antique outboard boat motor and try to copy it...That way have the original structural parts right there can be used as patterns for casting which would really speed up a build- good practice I think.
I am not actually retired ,I merely find myself disabled by an intolerance for productive activity.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 04:08:48 PM »
Here you go don't get much more full size then these or boys and girls, all kinds of 1:1 equipment.
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/
 ;D
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 02:08:53 PM »
Hey Steve,

I'm also on HMEM but have other interests also. I'd like to build a 3 wheeler like was mentioned on HMEM recently. Have a few other project going to. In the process of building a VW powered snow blower. Long way to go yet.

Check out my web site if you get a minute. You'll find it in the memebers area.

Anyway welcome. would love to see some pics of your shop.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds