Author Topic: Lightbox from a discarded LCD monitor.  (Read 18302 times)

Offline kwackers

Lightbox from a discarded LCD monitor.
« on: February 21, 2010, 06:05:13 AM »
Occasionally in order to justify the amount of crap I have lying around I'm forced to demonstrate it's usefulness...

My other half does a lot of 'hot glass' work and wanted a light box and since we throw LCD monitors away almost weekly at work I figured it should be an easy thing to do.

So this was my 4th LCD conversion attempt. The first had a duff inverter so was useless (or at least couldn't be used for free). The 2nd worked when I plugged it in (can't bring myself to cannibalise working stuff). The 3rd turned out to have a minor fault when I was figuring out how it worked so it got fixed and...
Finally the 4th one turned out to be suitable (although I didn't look too hard at why it didn't work). Model was a NEC LCD 1970NX.

I stripped it down to basics, removing all the control electronics and LCD panel, leaving just the PSU and 'light box'.
On stripping it down the first thing I noticed was the inverters for the cold cathode tubes and the power supply were on the same board - this could make life easy...
Next they'd thoughtfully labelled the socket coming off it - 12v, 5v, Gnd, PWM, On.  Wasn't getting any harder...

As a background most LCD monitors have a separate inverter circuit for the lights (even this one with a quick inspection showed it would be possible to hacksaw the power supply board in two to separate out the inverters if it proved the PSU was broken). The inverter section usually runs off 12v, has some way of turning it on and off and a PWM input to control the brightness.

With this in mind I applied power and first checked if the supply was working (it was), then I checked the voltage on the 'on' input - that was 0v which suggests it needs pulling high (probably 5v) to switch on the inverters. Next I breadboarded a 555 as a PWM generator, hooked the output to the PWM input and pulled the 'on' input high - and....
It worked! Not only that but adjusting the PWM ratio altered the brightness from off to full (blinding) brightness. Only issue was my PWM was running at around 100hz and this was causing flickering on the panel, changed the value of the pot to get this up to around 1khz and this got rid of the flickering.

Since the surface is only plastic I got some 2mm picture frame glass, this is almost exactly the same thickness as the LCD. This allowed me to refit the bezel and re-use the original monitor case (the back is flat so it will lie down - or can be 'hooked' onto the original stand for vertical use).
I now simply re-made the PWM on a bit of strip board and refitted it all into the original case.
Total time probably about 4 hours.

The only change I'd make is to use a small 8 pin PIC as a PWM generator, unfortunately I'd run out so couldn't (got some on order though). With a PIC you could re-use the front panel controls, get the on-off button to toggle the 'on' line to switch it on and off, and use the brightness up down buttons to ramp the brightness. The front panel on this monitor is slightly damaged (missing buttons) so I need to see if it can be rescued if so then I'll probably do that next, whilst the current brightness and mains on/off switch is OK being under the monitor makes it hard to get at whilst it's lying flat on it's back.

If you want to try this - remember there are some high voltages floating around the PSU - upwards of 800v even when unplugged!

Anyway some pics:-

Stripped and with the PWM breadboarded.

Working!

Putting it all together.

Finished.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Lightbox from a discarded LCD monitor.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 06:39:03 AM »
I do admire people who understand this electricery  :clap:

I looks perfect for the job  :clap: :clap: :clap:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 07:31:08 AM »
Very nice.

The potentiometer might still be the better option for brightness control.  Not as repeatable as digitally incremented/decremented, but faster, finer control.

If you use a PIC with A/D conversion, you could cut the PWM generator to the PIC and a pot.

Offline kwackers

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 07:40:53 AM »
Very nice.

The potentiometer might still be the better option for brightness control.  Not as repeatable as digitally incremented/decremented, but faster, finer control.

If you use a PIC with A/D conversion, you could cut the PWM generator to the PIC and a pot.

The pot is better - just that it's a bit fiddly where it is. Whilst the monitor already has buttons in place...
I'm wondering if perhaps an edge or linear pot might squeeze in where the buttons should be though...

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 06:39:55 AM »
This is a cool project... and since I've just retrieved a dead 32" screen from a client, I'm wondering if I can't do one of these too; it'd be ideal for proofing & checking PCBs...

Anyway, I notice when the TV is powered up, that the backlight seems to work, there's just no picture (or sound) of any description. Does that sound like a likely candidate for a conversion?
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline kwackers

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 05:12:55 AM »
This is a cool project... and since I've just retrieved a dead 32" screen from a client, I'm wondering if I can't do one of these too; it'd be ideal for proofing & checking PCBs...

Anyway, I notice when the TV is powered up, that the backlight seems to work, there's just no picture (or sound) of any description. Does that sound like a likely candidate for a conversion?
Quite probably, as long as it doesn't turn off after a period with no signal!

If you remove the LCD panel you'll find the brightness is pretty intense, might want some mechanism for being able to reduce it. Personally I'd still strip it and see if it can be made to work without all the controller gubbins, from your pov it depends how comfortable you are stripping and checking.

Good luck! (32" is a decent size!)
Steve.

Offline shoey51

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 03:13:13 PM »
great innovation there  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline cidrontmg

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 07:26:48 PM »
Erm... slightly embarrassed, but IŽll show my total ignorance about the subject: What is a Light box (i.e. what purpose does it serve?), and what is 'hot glass' work?
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Offline ksor

• Turn off the TV - life ain't replayed !
    • Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 02:52:29 AM »
Yes, a nice project BUT ...

Often these screens fail because of bad caps - I had 2 screens where I just had to replace a capacitor - then the screen works fine again !

So if you need your screen more then a new light board - look for bad capacitors.
Best regards
KSor, Denmark
Skype name: keldsor

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 03:32:40 AM »
Erm... slightly embarrassed, but IŽll show my total ignorance about the subject: What is a Light box (i.e. what purpose does it serve?), and what is 'hot glass' work?

I can't help with 'hot glass' work (I don't know what it is either), a light box is ideal when looking through something, such as a PCB layout print (looking for breaks or holes in any tracks, for example), or any semi-translucent "thing" in which you need to see an internal structure.

Yes, a nice project BUT ...

Often these screens fail because of bad caps - I had 2 screens where I just had to replace a capacitor - then the screen works fine again !

So if you need your screen more then a new light board - look for bad capacitors.

Interesting, and plausible... the screen is some cheapo far-eastern brand. It was in use in a call centre as a wallboard until it failed, so it is genuinely surplus to requirements.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline kwackers

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 04:36:02 AM »
Hot glass is basically anything to do with molten glass. In my partners case she's an artist that makes anything from simple glass birds (as in the picture) to sculptures by melting various colours and types of glass together in a kiln.

The light box is useful to her since it allows her to see the colours and properties of the glass (saves holding them up against windows!).

Most light boxes are sold to artists of one type or another, useful for painting on stuff, copying etc etc.

In terms of reliability - out of all the 'broken' monitors I've acquired only one had a duff inverter for the cold cathode tubes. You've also got to look at how long a lightbox spends turned on compared to an LCD monitor which may never get turned off!
Also, sooner or later there are going to be LED backlit stuff floating around... ;-)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 04:38:15 AM by kwackers »

Offline John Swift

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 11:01:37 AM »
now I know what to do with my dead monitors

very often the monitors fail,  when the capacitors in the power supplies go high resistance
the capacitance may be ok but the ESR will of  increased  ,a domed top will  give them away, some times
use 105 c types for replacement if you decide to repair  the monitor

depending on the monitor size  an external  12v dc @ 1.5 amps psu could be used
to power just the back light

ps the acer x221w I fixed several weeks ago had 1000v drive to the four tubes  !!!
the large brown in the photo could have 340v on it if not discharged