Author Topic: Things Mom never taught Ya!  (Read 7850 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Things Mom never taught Ya!
« on: March 01, 2010, 07:13:10 AM »
Welding on rims/wheels with the tire on. Now it is a long video 10 minutes as it explains what happens and answers some other questions that people have brought up.

A degradation process called pyrolysis that causes the tire to decompose and to generate heat. In the confined space of the tire it doesn't take much additional gas to over-pressurize the tire.

Would never have thought to do it, with the tire on the rim.  Also for those that don't watch the complete video. Removing the valve stem and air pressure doesn't matter, as it is strictly gas generated from the tire that generates the pressure so fast. That even with one side of the tire loose it has reseated it self and gone boom.

"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline trevoratxtal

• Torbay, South Devon, England
Re: Things Mom never taught Ya!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 08:40:52 AM »
That is some scary! :zap:
 I might be afraid to apply the brakes now in case they heat up.
Thanks for the info I will be real careful in future. :headbang:
Trev

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
ok what about a 115 degree day and u just happen to smash that gas peddle and smoke those tires good witch i have never done  :headbang:
hot pavment  is hot and when u happen to lets say get those tire to spin and they start smoken then what. not enough heat or what.
come on lets here it from the tire spinners out there

Offline Krown Kustoms

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 08:51:31 PM »
I have been on the drag strip my fair share of times and have never seen it happen.
I did blow a tire one day moving about 40mph and the speedometer reading about 100mph but I think it was due to other issues than heat on the rim. I know I had to replace a fiberglass quarter pannel after that.
I would say a weld bead reaches a lot higher temps than spinning tires. Steel melts at about what oooooh 2500 degrees F.
-B-
-B-

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 09:26:04 PM »
This one's got me thinking.  :scratch:  :smart:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

tumutbound

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 11:43:20 PM »
I remember from my airforce days being told that to fight a wheel fire to always stand where the tire is between you and the fire as the rim will rupture/explode before the tire will.
Fortunately, I never got to test that theory.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 07:28:49 AM »
That the problem is the rapid generation of the heated gases in the enclosed space of the tire whether it is on or off the rim. Half off the rim it works just like using a combustible gas like ether and a lighter only a lot faster. As the tire gets older they age, they just started pushing news stories about shops selling old past the dated tires for sale and that they are coming apart as they are used on the highways at speed. Higher speed higher tire heat, bad spot in the rubber of the tire other conditions right it starts and bang.

If you think about it we do say the "tire blew" When the tire starts to go down, it starts to heat up. With the solid one piece rims, the tire shreds or comes apart. Damaging the fender area of the car. And if it was just speed and a build up of air pressure(nitrogen) from heat in the racing car tires of all kinds at 180 miles an hour they wouldn't be able to keep tires on the cars.

Same as on large trucks when a tire goes at speed on the road. It is from heat build up, which triggers the pyrolysis. Having seen two tires blow in my lifetime, being near them on the road. it is something and looked like that video only in the vertical plane.

I think that this my be the cause of a lot more tires blowing than we realize.

The deal on this and why, it isn't well known is because by the definition of it. it is more a n industrial process. It is also one that they the greenies are pushing for recycling tires and converting other biomass into energy even though it doesn't work well yet or is cost effective

Pyrolysis is a special case of thermolysis, and is most commonly used for organic materials, being then one of the processes involved in charring. The pyrolysis of wood, which starts at 200–300 °C (390–570 °F),[1] occurs for example in fires or when vegetation comes into contact with lava in volcanic eruptions. In general, pyrolysis of organic substances produces gas and liquid products and leaves a solid residue richer in carbon content. Extreme pyrolysis, which leaves mostly carbon as the residue, is called carbonization.

This chemical process is heavily used in the chemical industry, for example, to produce charcoal, activated carbon, methanol and other chemicals from wood, to convert ethylene dichloride into vinyl chloride to make PVC, to produce coke from coal, to convert biomass into syngas, to turn waste into safely disposable substances, and for transforming medium-weight hydrocarbons from oil into lighter ones like gasoline. These specialized uses of pyrolysis may be called various names, such as dry distillation, destructive distillation, or cracking.

Here is some other ways to die servicing tires

Here is the original footage from the testing lab

:coffee:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Lykle

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 12:42:45 PM »
Reminds me of the way they re-seat a tire in Iceland
When you go glacier driving you let a lot of the air out of the tire, for better traction on the snow.

But there is so little air in there, the tire often comes off the rim.
So they squirt a little lighter gas in the tire and light it.
Boom! Re-seated tire. Simple, effective and spectacular.

Lykle
Lykle

Design, Build and Enjoy life.

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 08:24:12 PM »
they had a thing on the tv  here where they tested that tires dont blow while doing burnouts they smoked that tire till it ran out of rubber and deflated  but it never blew
the rubber got so thin that it just deflated im willing to tri that torch thing and i cant remember that far back but think i have done so back in the racing days