Author Topic: Plasterworks, John Plowman  (Read 8114 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Plasterworks, John Plowman
« on: January 30, 2010, 06:26:27 AM »
Plasterworks
John Plowman
North Light Books
Copyright©1996
Reprint of a Quarto Books
London
Copyright©1996
ISBN 0-89134-707-0
Hardcover

This is a basic book on the craft of plaster work. Whether you are making a master model to make some form of rubber molds to cast parts, or as a stepping stone book to make you own replacement architectural pieces for your own old house.  Or just adornment and small items with additives for the plaster that makes it water and weather proof for garden stuff of mixed media .

Or if you are an aspiring sculptor, as the author is a sculpture from England and the EU.
It starts with the basics techniques:
Materials and Equipment
Mixing Plaster
Casting
Latex molds
Care and Repair
It is then divided into 6 sections of subject topics which is then divided into separate project pieces:
Animal Kingdom
Organic Origins
Interior Designs
Ocean World
Heavenly Bodies
Faces and Figures

There are 4 or 5 projects that he takes you through with, a step by step photo layout with any necessary instructions.  Most are suitable for tweeny type children with some adult supervision or help as it is plaster.  And with kids it can get out of hand in a hurry, even by accident.

As the supplier list wasn’t edited for the US/Canada:

Sculpture Supply Canada

Smooth-on casting

Both carry the weatherproofing additives for the plaster along with other stuff you might need.  There is a location in London but I no longer have a working addy.

"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen