Author Topic: scraping for finish  (Read 4470 times)

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
scraping for finish
« on: February 20, 2010, 10:30:20 AM »
Hi Bernd, I didn't know you'd had machine finishing experience, but didn't want to insult either.  Glad you know what you need to do.  By the way what is your Logan, if you don't mind my asking?  I've got a couple, a 1942 model 200, which has several gears in the quick change needing fixing, from a buyer no knowing you can't change gears while running, and then backing out after he wiped out three or four gears, and an 820, from about 48, which is my main lathe for now.  Looking forward to seeing what you do with that lathe, almost bought one once, but ended up with the logan instead.  My 48 is getting real close to needing complete rework of the ways, it's a few thousandths deep right in front of the chuck and starting to bore with a taper.
      Good luck on getting everything in line.  Mad Jack :coffee:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: scraping for finish
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 03:24:46 PM »
Yes I do. ::)

I started out right out of high school working at Gleason Works of Rochester. I went through their two year apprentice program. In the two years I got to work in many different dept's. As a matter of fact when I started there in 1969 they had a foundry. So know my way around machinery pretty well. Even learned how to move big machinery. That's how I got my Bridgeport in the basememnt all by myself. Ok, enough about me.

The Logan I have is 1875 model. Here's the manual you can buy. It'll give you an idea of what it looks like. Serial number is 87183, which puts the date about 1971, Don't plan on rebuilding this one. It hasn't seen much abuse. Would like to upgrade some of the tooling though. In time.

Oh, you might be interested in Scott Logans website Logan Lathe Co.. That's were I found what year the lathe is.

Hope I've answered all your questions. Got more? Shoot.  :beer:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds