Author Topic: First "project" finished in new shop:  (Read 5800 times)

Offline jamoni

First "project" finished in new shop:
« on: February 21, 2010, 08:01:29 PM »
Jamoni's house, Sunday night:
RIIIING!
"Oh, hey, boss, what's up?  You need a tool to measure a bolt circle?  It needs to measure from center of one bolt hole to center of another?  And it needs to do it inside a tower, where you can barely get your arm in? Well, I think I can probably do that.  Just give me a couple days and.... you need it first thing in the morning?"
After a quick run to the hardware store and a fast rummage through the junk box, I present to you THE UGLIEST TOOL EVER.

:)
Measuring is done with a yardstick, just measure from left side of one ball to left side of the other.  I checked them, and while not perfect spheres, they are close enough for this work.  Largest measurement possible is just over 30", tool is locked with the thumbscrew at the pivot.
My original idea was just a rod, with two cylinders clamped on to it.  One end of each cylinder would be a hemisphere.  The problem with that is there may be bolts and whatnot between the two holes.  This way, I have flexibility to avoid obstacles.
Like me, it's not pretty, but it gets the job done!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: First "project" finished in new shop:
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 08:33:04 PM »
Jamoni,

Brilliant, just brilliant.  :bow:

I hope you get a large compensation in your next pay check. If not tell your boss your going to send the Madmodders over to his house with tools that will break his knee caps.  :lol:

Very well done. Now that's a  :proj: if I ever saw one.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
Did you post the right picture?  That tool does not look ugly at all! :)

:thumbup:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline jamoni

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 11:52:12 PM »

Trust me, it's ugly in person.  I didn't have my mill set up, and couldn't find my clamping kit because of the move, so I just built the pivot up out of some scrap 1/4" x 1" aluminum.  All the cuts were done with my hand bandsaw, and left rough.  I used thumbscrews to hold it together, cause that's what I had. 
In a day or two, I'll rebuild that pivot and turn down the collar on those drawer pulls, ah, I mean "precision spherical measuring surfaces". :thumbup:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 08:25:20 AM »
Jamoni,

That tool solves the problem...... Therefore, it`s the most beautiful you`ve got!  :thumbup:

I love it! Blummin well done!  :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!