Author Topic: Ball turning tutorial?  (Read 26672 times)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Re: Ball turning tutorial?
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 06:28:17 PM »
Hi Fred  :wave:  Long time no see  :)

Your kind of stuff this ehh?  You should have a good chat with Larry  :thumbup:

Thanks for the link, I'll have a good look at it when my eyes arn't quite so heavy  ::)

Ralph.

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2010, 11:05:17 AM »
I've got to say, this is the best ball turning demonstration I've seen, the simplest set up, easiest to align, set up to spec, and start turning, and one of the best methods of putting the power right over the strongest part of the lathe bed while working.  I've had lots of plans, and looked at many ideas, but this is the ball turning setup I am going to replicate.  It's almost too simple to be true, but most of the time, a difficult question gets the simplest answer.  I am taken!! thanks much for the video and the idea  Mad Jack :thumbup:

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2010, 02:34:24 PM »
Hi Mad Jack,

Glad you like the vid'  :thumbup: This is in my opinion as in yours a very simple and awesome tool.

It was the first tool I made with and for my lathe and I've never wanted another version of radius turner since.

All the links for Steve Bedair's plans etc are in my video descriptions on my youtube pages. The only things I changed were the depth of the base, the steps on the turret and the tip design.

All the tip info is in the "mini ball turner" thread I did a while back. I think it's in project logs?

Ralph.

Offline Nowicki

• Nowicki Custom Knives
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 07:22:53 PM »
I got the turret done and cut the base to go on my plunge. The turret is larger than the one I was going to use, 3". I plowed off some of the radius on one side so the set screws don't have to go through as much metal The base turned out fine but for not taking into account the base and turret would be almost parallel to the tail center. When I went to measure the height of the tool holder I can only do a ball about 1/4". I'll be modifying the base to ride alongside the plunge to give room for the tool holder. Haven't decided weather I will heat and bend a piece of bar stock, cut and weld the pieces or mill and bolt one together. I'm leaning toward bending the stock but not sure if I can make the bends right.
Always a Student

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 09:22:30 PM »
Hi Larry,

are you talking about bending bar stock for the tool tip holder ?

I would be careful if that is the case, it might change the properties of the metal and make it do odd and possibly dangerous things?

If you're talking about the handle then it's not so bad.

I made my tool tip holder from an old piece of garage door. The lifting arm, 50mm square and 12mm thick.

The height sure would be limiting if a 1/4" ball is all it can achieve! Hope you can remedy that one easily?  :dremel: 

Just wanting all tools to be safe  :thumbup:

Looks like your having fun designing it around your machine though  :)

Ralph.

Offline Nowicki

• Nowicki Custom Knives
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2010, 04:38:45 PM »
I finally got back to it a little. Decided to mount ti to the base of the plunge. It works better that way. I haven't made the handle yet but it is on the menu for when I get back from vacation.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 05:10:17 PM by Nowicki »
Always a Student

Offline George Greer

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2010, 12:11:08 AM »
Ralph,

That vid was a great tutoral...now I see how they work.

Now, when my mill finally gets here and I get it set up...I'll be making one of these....

Thanks, George :nrocks:

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2010, 06:39:27 PM »
Happy you found it of some use George. That's why I made all of the turning vid's. To show and help people  :)

We will I'm sure all look forward to a few pic'c of the build and use of your version  :thumbup:

Now then, how long do vacations last over there? Larry.... What's the result?   :poke:  How many footballs (rugby for us guys)  have you made?  :lol:  I made a good 4-5 before I figured out how to set it up correctly!   

Ralph.

Offline Nowicki

• Nowicki Custom Knives
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2010, 10:10:35 AM »
I got real sick when I got back. They put me on a real strong antibiotic. 8 days in I developed an allergic reaction to it and started into shock. Was put on steroids and antihistamines... lost 13 lbs in 3 days. I wanted to loose some weight but don't recommend this way to anybody.
I'm on the mend but things are real busy at the farm so I haven't had much time to work in the shop. I did get a little ahead of myself. Didn't wait to drill and tap the handle, just used a pair of vicegrips. I turned a round on the end of a 1 1/4 " piece of scrap 4140. The grips hit the stock so I couldn't do the full ball. It is going to take a couple tries but this is going to work great.

Larry
Always a Student

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2010, 07:27:02 PM »
Sounds like you've been having a blast!!!  :bugeye:

All on the mend now though, good stuff :thumbup:

Looks like you've got it working.  When you get back to it I'm sure you'll share the pic's. Top result so far  :clap:

Ralph.