Author Topic: Rust Removal  (Read 64131 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Rust Removal
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2009, 05:02:14 PM »
Here's what vertical floor paint looks like John H,

Not the best, but certainly functional. It's been a while since I painted this so areas are starting to go where the most abuse takes place. It mainly the swarf that does the damage and I guess that would affect any type of paint.

A fivers worth of paint has done itself proud to last this well over the last couple of years and I feel and it still looks a million times better than when I bought it.

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Online John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2009, 06:00:39 PM »
Darren, the Chinese lathe is covered in some expoxy paint in an off-white colour.  Very nice in the showroom!

There are a couple of 'dings' in mine, that I didnt do, but the saddle area is getting quite marked as unless every scrap of metal chip etc has been removed a wipe off with a rag causes scratches which in turn absorb gunge and then look unsightly!
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2009, 06:20:42 PM »
Time for a little update..... :)

When dismantling stuff I like to take quite a few pictures so that I may refer back to them when trying to remember what goes where. Most stuff only fits one way or not at all, but occasionally those pictures can be a lifesaver. Not mine, but maybe the dogs...... :lol:

I'm not going to show you all my wonderful snaps....thankfully...but here's one that shows the spindle nose and bearing housing cap. neither in particularly good cosmetic condition though they both function well enough.

I decided to make a new bearing cap from some free cutting steel (Stew  :beer:) Simple enough so I won't go into too much detail.

Once it was machined I used the old cap to act as a drilling jig and a socket to locate the centre.

And here's the result

You can see here the old one has had some abuse....before my time I might add.....

Fitted nice and snugly..... :D

I decided to clean up the nose as it was in a well battered state. I only took one picture........ :doh:

But it did not lathe very well at all. The finish was awful. So I stuck an air die grinder in the tool holder and had my first ever go at spindle grinding?
My compressor simply could not keep up, so the speed was too low. Also I currently can't run my lathe in top speeds till I've sorted the garage electrics properly (volt drop on the long extension to the RC) so the lathe was too slow as well..... :doh: :doh: :doh:

Finish didn't look like a precision grind, but it was better than the lathed finish. No pic but here it is assembled back on the machine.

So here we are to date, cept I've been painting more bits tonight........got to keep busy eh....!!

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2009, 01:21:00 AM »
Looking a tidy job Darren, just need some balls turning for them handles:-  :proj:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2009, 02:26:56 AM »
By `ek Darren!

That`s a big improvement! Well done.....  :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2009, 08:51:22 AM »
I was using it yesterday, will be again today to drill 1" holes in 10mm thick steel in stacks of four....

First tried piloting with a 10mm drill bit and then the 1", then tried just the 1" with no pilot holes. It prefers the latter being much smoother....odd, but that's what it seems to like.

One inch holes with no pilot hole and it cuts like butter....huge chips...... :dremel:

Camera battery ran out so no pic's, I'll take some today...making some hinges...... :ddb:

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2010, 04:29:58 PM »
Hi Darren

GREAT thread ,very interesting mate  :clap: , i have never seen rust removal done that way .good use of things from around the house too, I think i may have to give it ago .
and the machines turned out great . :thumbup:

Cheers Rob

Offline Space Fan

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2010, 08:00:22 PM »
Hello,
This a great restoration you've done! After reading this thread yesterday I had to try this rust removal technique.  I wish I had a before pic of these long pliers. They would not even open they were so rusty.

This pic is after a prime and some yellow paint after an overnight soak in electrons and baking soda. Yellow because they are my swarf grabbers again. They work like new. Thanks for the the idea.  Now I need more rusty things to immerse!
Barry

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2010, 08:36:41 PM »
That's great Barry,
It's so easy I wonder why anyone does it any other way as it removes paint an grease at the same time.

I've even freed up a very stuck Jacobs chuck this way too  :dremel:

Offline Space Fan

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2010, 11:10:02 PM »
Yes. I'm thinking I could have cleaned up my lathe and mill using this technique rather than acid and sanding.  I think it was phosphoric acid. I could have done a better job on the chuck for sure, Scratches all over.

Oh well, there will be more rust. :)