Author Topic: Polishing technique.... well it works!  (Read 52109 times)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Re: Polishing technique.... well it works!
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2010, 08:30:40 PM »
Good stuff  :thumbup:

I  run my mops at 1800Rpm now, cause I'm comfortable with that.  Just be careful.... If you slacken your grip or put a sharp (E.G. 90 deg) edge to the mop too quickly It won't half take it off you and launch it  :bugeye:

Pic's of the results will no doubt turn up on your engine build posts? I look forward to hearing/seeing how you get on.

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline kvom

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2010, 10:14:16 PM »
For a preliminary discover:, I need to sand off most of the tool marks before going to the lathe.  So lots of work there.  Given that SFM on the mop is supposed to be 3600 SFM, I turned the lathe up to 2400 RPM.  Tomorrow I'll see what results I get on brass with the first mop/abarasive.

Offline kvom

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2010, 03:46:58 PM »
Here's a pic of my arbor on the lathe:

I did some trial runs on aluminum and brass parts, after filing and sanding.  The abrasives I have on hand are the 180/240/360 set of aluminum oxide "tape", plus the purple Scotchbrite that I think is around 600.  My conclusion is that I need a coarser grade to remove the endmill marks, and also a finer grade before using the buffer.

Offline Artie

• Down here in the Aussie sunshine/heat :-)
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2010, 04:11:47 PM »
Thanks for the offer bogs, although Im afraid I live in South Wales.

Hi DJH, I know this post was some time ago, just wanted to say Gday. You're in South Wales correct? That would be old South Wales right? You see im in New South Wales..... only my South Wales is in another country....

It seems when our British forebears colonised the wonderful rock known as Australia.. they got homesick or at least some wag from South Wales did..... hence this state is NEW South Wales.....

Only... gets a damn sight hotter and no where near as cold.......  :)

Cheers Artie (yes I know....worthless post... again....)
South Wales, wait...NEW South Wales... Batemans Bay.