Author Topic: Supporting My Hobby  (Read 10254 times)

Offline 75Plus

Supporting My Hobby
« on: March 03, 2010, 04:18:40 PM »
A wise man once said that the secret to success is "Find a need and fill it". I found a need and am doing my best to fill it. The Czech gunmaker CZ produces a stainless steel pistol but the magazines for them are blued steel. It occurred to me that by replacing the bottom plate with one made from stainless would add the finishing touch. That is how I got started making the part discussed in the "How Do I" forum.

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2749.0

I make these base plates in a variety finishes. Polished, matte, brushed and jeweled. I believe I am within Eric's guide lines so I am posting a few pictures. If the pictures or the thread is out of line feel free to delete them.

The pistol with the stainless base plates and just the magazines.

The original and my replacement base plate top and bottom.

Without advertising I can sell all that I can make so they help pay for my toys.

Joe
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 04:28:28 PM by 75Plus »

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Supporting My Hobby
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 06:01:33 PM »
Very Nice, if they hadn't banned handguns here in the UK that's probably what I'd be fiddling/modding with and I used to really enjoy shooting. At one time I was putting up to 400 rounds a week through my Glock 17. A timed tactical event that I really enjoyed. The other one I liked was skittles at 100yds with a 357 magnum. Boy that thing was accurate.

Your pictures look really nice  :thumbup:

I'm not sure what Erics line is on this subject? I know one member really made waves over such posts, but he's gone now.

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 06:21:18 PM »
I see it now.

Maybe if milling  still gives you trouble try milling out a die then harden it then you could in essence clamp the thin plate under the die then peel the edges over with a spade tool then tap into shape, any hammer marks could be taken out with grit polishing compound then buffed up nice and shiny.

Also I have been considering gunsmithing as a retirement source of income, lord knows I have the equipment. I so enjoy what little work I do on my own guns, I find it very pleasurable work indeed.

Darren it’s been 20 years since I left England any chance of explaining to me the ban on weapons in England and what limitations that have put on you people over there. I find it a shame they have done this. If need be start another thread on the balistic forum as I know a lot of Americans would love to know what restrictions you have over there.

All the best          Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 07:50:43 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_massacre

In particular, the "Political_impact" section.

It does make me wonder about the London 2012 Olympics, though.  Are all the handgun shooting competitors going to be breaking the law?

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 08:52:42 PM »
Anthony,

I think I have solved my tool problem. For a 20% premium Moon Cutters are making a cobalt cutter in the exact face width I need. They will ship in two days or less. That is what I call service.

Joe

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 01:09:11 AM »
Those mag end plates look great, Joe.  Nice work!  Good niche you've found, too.
I'll bet lots of machine guys have thought about doing some gunsmith work.  I'm afraid it would
get in the way of my reloading and shooting fun, so every time the thought pops in my head, I
push it out!  ; )

I had a look at the Moon site.  20% over for a custom made cutter sounds like a great deal, to me.
Nice to know you can get spare cutters in just a couple of days, too.

Dean
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 09:44:35 AM »
Nice thread Joe.

I also enjoy seeing gunsmith work being done and see no reason you can't post your results of a modification to a gun or rifle. As long as it doesn't get out of hand politically, a discussion of making parts and modifying is welcome. After all it's just another metal working project.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 09:48:33 AM »
Nice work!

I am a gun fan by nature and by past careers. The only thing that I ask is firearms be limited to this part of the forum only. That way, if anyone has issues... they can just stay out of this part of the forum. Otherwise, don't break the law and have fun!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 03:11:10 PM »
This is another "Need" that I am filling. There is a company named Crimson Trace that incorporates a laser into the grips for sighting a firearm. They make a model to fit the CZ-75 but the stainless models come with an ambidextrous safety which will not allow the CT grips to seat. Up until now the only way to utilize the CT sights was to cut the lever off the RH safety leaving the inner part to support the safety shaft that is part of the LH safety. This precluded returning the pistol to its original configuration without buying an expensive new RH safety.

My solution was the bushing shown in the pictures. The bushing replaces the original part which can be retained for future use. The firearm is modded but not altered in any way. I hope the pictures help explain what I am doing.

Joe

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 10:34:19 AM »
Nice work Joe,

CC

Offline Jonny

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 01:23:32 PM »
Good work Joe, good on you.

Anthony handguns do not exist in the UK, the two governments banned them all from legitimate vetted licence holders firstly in 1998. Lessons learnt they dont ban, they outlaw else it would cost them millions again.
Dunblane changed things but police should have done what they were payed to do, hence there would have been no Dunblane everyone payed the price including Joe public with compensation! The shootings you see are illegal weapons and against the law.
With two years to go our Olympians had to travel overseas to train on a weekly basis, think recently granted special dispensation but took years.