Author Topic: I want to give you all some advice.  (Read 8516 times)

Offline websterz

I want to give you all some advice.
« on: March 03, 2010, 09:37:41 PM »
Those of you who are fortunate enough to have a mentor, be it a father, grandfather, uncle, whatever, do not take them for granted. My father has worked with his hands his whole life, a self taught welder and machinist with skills that rival anyone I have ever met. He will turn 74 this July and up until last Saturday was healthy as an ox. He had a mild stroke (thank God for the mild bit!) and was just released from hospital yesterday. Physically he is still strong but his language center was damaged, a condition known as aphasia. He is recovering at home now and with the help of speech therapy he is recovering his words but it will take time. We have all struggled to find the right word or remember a name that is just on the tip of the tongue, and know how frustrating those little fumbles can be. Imagine having that feeling several times in one sentence, or not being able to come up with your wife's name. My folks have been married 50 years this month and my dad knows my mom and remembers the most minute details about their life but he cannot pull her name out of the damaged area of his brain. Even after being told, and repeating it over and over if you ask him he cannot come up with it. I followed in his footsteps as a welder for 20 years, then in the last 15 or so as a machinist. He has always been a wealth of information and I learned nearly everything I know about everything from being a father to changing a flat tire to running a lathe from him. Even though he still has all that knowledge his ability to share it might have been lost now, and I feel so lucky to have asked the questions I had the chance to ask. 90% of the tools and materials in my own shop came from him when he finally retired about 5 years ago. I don't know how many more years I will have my dad but I will treasure every minute.

Ask, watch, and learn while you can. You never know how long you have.
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: I want to give you all some advice.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 11:38:43 PM »
I am so sorry about your father having a stroke and the issues that came with it.

I learned a lot from my father as well. Kinda odd now, he asks for my help instead of the other way around. I have tried to pass his work ethic and ingenuity on to my nephew, but he didn't seem really interested. I hope to do the same for my son.

I hope and pray things get easier for you and him (your mom too)... tell them congrats on the 50 years.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 01:55:33 AM »
Weby

Sorry to her about your fathers illness, I hope and pray that he makes a good recovery.

All the best

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Davo J

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 04:00:50 AM »
websterz
Sometimes we forget they wont be hear forever. I understand what your saying. I have a grand father that was/is my mentor that is 87 and still goes to the shed. His project at the moment is a small metal lathe that I am helping with. I have seen him forget words that I complete because of his age.

Your mother must be devastated
I hope your father has a full recovery and I wish you and your family the very best.
Dave 

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 09:48:50 AM »
Webster.
I have been there and are going through again right now. My heart and best wishes for your parents and gods speed on a swift recovery.

The advice you are sharing is worth its weight in gold.

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 09:53:11 AM »
Sorry to hear that Webesterz.

My dad's on the verge of dementia. Not a pretty site to see a guy just sit there and let the world go by. He taught me a lot. I don't think I'd be into metal working if it wasn't for him.

I wish your family the best and hope for a fast and full recovery.

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 12:23:28 PM »
So sorry to hear of your sadness websterz.

Thank you for your heartfelt advice...... I hope your pain eases, soon.

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 01:53:54 PM »
Very sad to here of your Farther stroke ,my thoughts are with you and your family

Take care and kind regards Rob

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 05:54:08 PM »
Sad to hear of your father's stroke. It is unfortunate how life robs us of the things we love and cherish. I grew up without a father from the age of 9. Dad was called home much to early. I am turning 76 on Sunday. I spend more and more time thinking about my own mortality and for that reason spend as much time as possible with my three children, only one son, and my 8 grand children, two of them boys. My wife and I will be praying for a full recovery for your Dad. Hopefully he will make good progress and you can share it with all of us.

Joe

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 07:59:03 PM »
I'm never very good with words at these times, never know quite what to say. You have my thoughts and I do hope your dads recovers well without too much discomfort.
We have a similar situation here at the moment that's not looking too good and realise what you must be going through.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline websterz

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 10:19:20 PM »
Thank you all so much for the prayers and kind words. I talk to my mom and dad every day on the phone (they are 3 hours away) and he is already making AMAZING progress! My mom works with him several times a day and he has remastered the alphabet, days of the week, months of the year, and other ordered lists like that. They have been driving around reading street signs, billboards, etc, and she says he is getting better by the minute. Talking to him on the phone, unless you knew him before the fact, you'd just think he was distracted and stumbling for an occasional word. His attitude when it happens is "Aww to &^%$ with it...must not be important."  ::)  Today on the phone he stopped me in my tracks with "I love you son" out of the blue. In 41 years I don't remember him ever saying it first, or with such feeling. I think he is going to be alright guys. I really do.   :thumbup:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 07:09:12 AM »
Thats GREAT news websterz

Sounds like your dad is well on the way to recovery  :thumbup:

Kind regards Rob

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 10:40:54 AM »
Sorry yo read your first post Websterz but it's great to hear the last one and share in the recovery your Dad is making to date, best wishes and we hope the amazing recovery continues.

CC

Offline Nelson92757

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 07:58:05 PM »
websterz
I just read your thread about your father. You were blessed and I will put you in my prayer list. I believe God is the only one that can do the kind of miracles your father needs. I myself went through the same thing you are going through. David drove a truck over the road. I went to work at the company where he worked and well, we were teamed up to drive together for about 6 years. David was a man that retained everything, I’m not exaggerating anything, he had a real talent for memory. I lost him two years ago in April and I wish if only I had gotten a recorder and recorded some of the stuff this man remembered. From childhood until the day he died at 72 years old. I pray for your father to recover completely with no limitations. One thing I learned was that time is something that we all take for granted. May the peace of God be to you and your family. Speedy recovery.
Nelson Collar  :worthless:

Offline Bogator

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 09:46:34 AM »
  PRAYERS from ALABAMA, GOD BLESS,

Offline Shepherduke

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 11:45:24 AM »
Hi Websterz, I very much hope that your dads condition goes on improving.  I always think that strokes are one of the most upsetting things to have to contend with.
My Dad died when I was 15, he was 44, so I missed out on quite a bit.
My Dad's dad was killed in  Cambrai in WW1, when my Dad was 6 weeks old, so he never saw him.
When I see how some people abuse their parent's, I get a bit hot under the collar.  You lookafter what you have got, while you have got it.  All the best, Shepherduke. 

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 12:11:32 PM »
as all have said  i too give my prayers. i lost my father and me a stupid young man did not ask or try and now he is gone.
he was a diesel engine mechanic and i could have been great at it,,, IF i would have just asked and not been so stupid.
now its to late i cant get that father son thing back.
so your advice is very very good and i hope  that many will enjoy there folks and treasure them while they are here.