Author Topic: River Queen Open Column Launch Engine Video  (Read 6014 times)

Offline capjak

River Queen Open Column Launch Engine Video
« on: March 09, 2010, 01:08:36 PM »
Hello folks,

Here is a video of this engine running along with some other photos of some of the machining of the parts.

This is boring the holes in the head of version 1 of the cylinder. As I said in a previous post, I used mostly scrap materials for this project. This piece of steel was originally a counterweight on a desk lamp that was made in China. There were ten holes in this that had to be tapped, six 4-40 and four 6-32. I broke a tap in the last hole and had to make a new cylinder.

Version two was a success.

This is sizing one of the bearing blocks. The source of this material was a piece of 2 1/2 by 5/16 angle.

Here is turning the brass valve.

This is facing the crankshaft. I am using my collet adapter shown here.

I cobbed this together so that I could use a MT2 collet set in the MT4 spindle.

I chose to drill the hole for the grub screw at an angle so that the outer surface of the flywheel would not have any hole in it.

Here is the video:

Thanks for all of your comments. I have not decided on the next project, I have a flame gulper engine about 3/4's complete. It uses a piece of 1" iron pipe for the cylinder. The plans came from an old issue of Popular Mechanics. I am having a problem finding some flat spring steel for part of the valve actuator but I have a workaround in mind. I also have a walking beam engine from a kit in process but I don't like the way that it is progressing so I may just put it aside for a while.

Jack

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: River Queen Open Column Launch Engine Video
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 03:34:56 PM »
capjak

Just watched the video. Very nice and a great sound. It seems to sound like the one in the movie. Seeing it vibrate on its base also seemed to add a bit of realism to the video. You did a great job on this build and I look forward to your next project.  :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 03:45:26 PM »
Gotta agree with Don... I love the sound of a steam engine running.

Nice job!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 02:48:15 PM »
Nice work Jack  :headbang: ............ and a nice runner ........... Well Done  :thumbup:

CC