Author Topic: Never ending battle  (Read 3390 times)

Offline tinkerer

Never ending battle
« on: March 17, 2010, 05:35:18 PM »
to get into the shop for some fun time. Got a break in the remodeling  :D and filled up the gas tank. as the pump clicked off, gas started running onto the ground from under the truck.  :( Researched google and found it is common for the Mazda B2300 fuel filler neck to crack. I could just keep it half full and drive it, but I will need to pass the pressure test to get a tag in August, so I dropped the tank and sure enough, it is cracked and venting to the atmosphere. Called Mazda and for $349.93  :jaw: I get the first one they receive from backorder. Autozone has one for $149.00 on the web. Found one for $90.00 at parts warehouse with free shipping. Guess I am lucky the dealer didn't have one in stock. It should be here early next week. I have to start the next phase of the remodel tomorrow, so no shop time yet.
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Re: Never ending battle
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 05:48:12 PM »
What's a pressure test for a tag ?

Guessing the tag is yearly inspection but here all they check is you have the correct type of cap fitted, no temporary caps allowed and that's it.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline ksouers

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 11:34:03 PM »
John,
"Tag" is the license plate for the car. Autos in the US are licensed by the state in which the owner resides, not on a federal level. Many states have some kind of annual safety inspection before they will issue a tag for the next year. Some, like where I live, also do an emissions test, part of which is testing the gas tank for vapor leaks.

Gotta stop global warming, ya know  ::)
Kevin

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 12:11:55 AM »
Ksouers has it correct. The tank is environmentaly sealed. That is why, when you loosen the cap, you get a swoosh sound. It seemed to run fine, so I don't think it affected the milage, other than loosing gas to the ground. It is close to the catylitic converter and they get hot enough to start a fire I imagine. It has been a grand truck with no problems other than routine maintenence. Timing belt at 76,000 miles and front brakes at 116,000 miles. Spark plugs at 100,000 miles, I was a little late with those and will change at next timing belt swap, around 126,000 miles. If you don't pass the environmental test, you can't get a tag until repairs are completed and you do pass.
Tink

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 06:33:07 AM »
I guess a Tag is similar to what we call an MOT test, Ministry of Transport test.

I'm pretty sure our tanks here are vented  :scratch:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 07:51:31 AM »
Tag is slang for license plate.  That's registration, and you pay based on the curb weight and type of the vehicle.  It's yearly, but most States have gone to a pay once for 2 or three years type of system.   NY is on a three year plan, and of course they've raised the rates.

Inspection is like MOT, and happens once a year.  It includes emissions testing, and hooking the car up to a computer to test all sorts of stuff.

I recently got a ticket for no inspection.  Check engine light was on, so it wouldn't pass.  Took it to the dealer, and the evaporative system (the one that pressurizes the tank to check for leaks) had failed.  $347 to fix it.  But it also needed a new cataylic converter.  Covered by the dealer; it cost them almost $1500 in parts alone!
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 10:21:49 AM »
rleete explained it perfectly. I forget that we live all over the world and have different languages, even when speaking english, and that is really cool.
Tink