Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 4164 times)

Offline sorveltaja

Windows 7
« on: March 18, 2010, 04:31:54 PM »
That Windows 7 is totally new thing to me. Does it differ much from XP or W2k?

Reason for question is, that I had to take a loan, and order a new laptop, since I have to evacuate myself from this apartment for two or more weeks, after the easter.

Computer addict? who? me? ::) 

Anyways, my current OS has been W2k almost 10 years, and after some tweaking, it's rock solid.

So, any experiences on transition from W2k or XP to Windows 7?

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 07:13:18 PM »
I am running Windows 7 on my laptop (MacBook :) ) and my workstation at work. I hated Vista. Took me forever to go to XP... was on 2k forever and before that I was on NT. All my other machines run Linux. I gotta say, I like Windows 7. After some tweaking and customization I am happy with it.

Any questions just ask.

Eric

Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline usn ret

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
I just installed W7 on wifes MACBOOK, Something went wrong during the install, it took about 10hrs on the phone with M/S and Apple techs to solve the problem. Works now.  The jury is still out on how I like it compared to XP. Too early to tell except that it is quicker than Vista.  We shall see. I still haven't figured out how to "right click"  in windows format!!!!
Cliff :beer:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 11:47:19 PM by usn ret »
If it isn't broken your not looking hard enough!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 12:32:32 AM »
...figured out how to "right click"  in windows format!!!!

With the touch pad? Make sure you have all bootcamp drivers installed. When you go to right click, touch the pad with 2 fingers and click the button.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline usn ret

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 01:09:28 PM »
Thanks , Eric.   Two finger clikkkkk!
If it isn't broken your not looking hard enough!

Offline sorveltaja

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 12:37:51 PM »
Thanks for the replies, guys :wave:.

At the first half of the next week, the new laptop thing is to be expected to arrive.

Offline Artie

• Down here in the Aussie sunshine/heat :-)
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 05:52:51 AM »
I am running Windows 7 on my laptop (MacBook :) ) and my workstation at work. I hated Vista. Took me forever to go to XP... was on 2k forever and before that I was on NT. All my other machines run Linux. I gotta say, I like Windows 7. After some tweaking and customization I am happy with it.

Any questions just ask.

Eric

Hi mate, my experiences are exactly the same as Erics, Got 7 on my laptop, still got Vista on all my work machines and HATE it.... although its running ok for most of my applications now. This took several months of downloading patches though...

7 is a breath of fresh air, everything I need to do with my work....'works' in 7. Looking good so far....

good luck...
South Wales, wait...NEW South Wales... Batemans Bay.

Offline JimM

• Chessington, Surrey
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 05:03:55 PM »
Just to add my 2ps worth

I've been running W7 (64 bit version) for the last 3 months, did mine as a clean install rather than as an upgrade but have to say it's run flawlessly since I've had it. To be honest for what I use the PC for I can't say there's an particular advantage over my old XP version but as more 64 bit apps come out that may change ??

Cheers

Jim

Offline sorveltaja

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 06:16:18 PM »
The new laptop arrived today, and after short testing, that W7 doesn't feel bad at all. I think, that there is W2K/XP lurking somewhere under the hood after all ::).

At first, task manager showed some 70 processes, way too much. So, I uninstalled all the needless bundled software, and replaced firewall and virus protection with free and much lighter ones.

Optimization anyone?

Offline sorveltaja

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 03:22:46 PM »
Still, after more usage, I haven't had any troubles with W7. More I examine it, the more W2K/XP -kind of menus and settings I find. On different places, though.

Even my oldest program, opera 6.02, that I still use daily, works just fine :wave:.