Author Topic: The uL914 RTL IC  (Read 16018 times)

Kludge

The uL914 RTL IC
« on: August 18, 2008, 08:22:37 PM »
Back when time was new and not all that carefully thought out a concept (not that it's any better now), the uL914 RTL dual 2-input NOR gate appeared in the world.  Now, like most RTL ICs, they were intended to be put into computers and live out their lives happily making 1s and 0s without caring what eventually happened to them.  The 1s and 0s, that is. 

But then someone who had once again failed to attract a date for Friday night sat in his little corner - his World of Worlds - and made the discovery that the 914 was perfectly capable of being a linear device as well.  At first he was mocked and scorned and the subject of drive-by shunning, but eventually others made the same discovery and our hero was forgotten because the others had funny letters after their names.  On the positive side, he wasn't being mocked, scorned and the subject of drive-by shunning anymore.  On the negative side, nowhere in the explosion of linear applications for the 914 was he given even the slightest bit of credit.  (He went on to discover a few DTL logic ICs could also be linearized but that's for another time.)  The demand for the now mighty uL914 caused Fairchild (who almost merged with Honeywell, the resultant of which to be named Fairwell Honeychild) to continue production well after the rest of the RTL line was dropped and the DTL and TTL lines were established. 

The 914 was the core of a number of little projects I made, both audio and rf, and really was a blast to play with.  I had around 100 of them sitting waiting to be put into something when I left the mainland and I should have found space to bring them (and the gazillion circuits I had on paper using them) with me.  I didn't and I am a sad Kludgeperson as a result. 

So ...has anyone seen any of these available in quantity anywhere?  I'd love to get my grimy paws on a few to play with.

Best regards,

Kludge ... and, no, I wasn't that luckless guy.  I couldn't be that lucky!

Offline John Swift

Re: The uL914 RTL IC
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 07:44:37 AM »

I think you will have to make your own uL914 circuits
with 4 NPN transistors and 6 resistors it should not be to hard with normal through hole components or surface mount devices
it may be an idea to look at the LM3046  npn transistor array

Offline Kludge

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 03:06:35 AM »
Wow, talk about a delayed response.  :-D

This sounds like a good alternative approach.  There are several chips - DIP and SMD - that have multiple independent transistors on them and this path allows me to do a few things that the 914 couldn't. 

Thank you, sir.  I appreciate the ... well, actually reminder.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 11:53:53 PM »

Talk about a thread stretching over time.

August 2008 - First post and question by Kludge

2 years later.

August 2010 - Question answered by John Swift

2 years years and 4 months later.

Today December 13, 2012 answer acknowledged by Kludge.

Also note that 2430 people have viewed what until today was a 2 post thread.

It's nice to see that if one has patience all questions will eventially be answered and all answers will be acknowledged. Congratulations to both Kludge and John Swift.

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Kludge

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 12:15:05 AM »
ROFL ... well, I original posted it when I was a member here before, then I left at the same time I left ... er, "another site".  A gentleman I knew from both sites said things were vastly improved so I came back.  Here, not there. 

Has this set any kind of records?

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 12:37:52 AM »
ROFL ... well, I original posted it when I was a member here before, then I left at the same time I left ... er, "another site".  A gentleman I knew from both sites said things were vastly improved so I came back.  Here, not there. 

Has this set any kind of records?

Hi Kludge

As far as I am concerned this has set some kind of record. Not quite sure if there is a catagory at Guinness World Records or not. Guess I will have to try and have a look see.

I remember seeing you over at that other site. I used to be a moderator there but when the new owner took over I wouldn't be a yes man and ended up getting fired. That's OK, this site is 10 times better anyway.

Glad to see that you are still at it, doing your best to make things happen and working with what you've got.

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Kludge

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 02:51:17 AM »
Yeah, I remember you from there.  I can't be sure but I think you also knew why I left.  With your moving here it's their loss and MadModder's gain. 

At the moment, I have absolutely no idea when I'll be able to get to my lathes or much of anything else aside from my precision drill press.  Hmmm ... I think I'll expand on this in my Waldo thread.  John's circuit drawing gave me a few ideas regarding controlling bitzenpieces, though.  While there will be microcontrollers involved, there are a few places where just plain wired logic makes more sense. 

So much fun, so few pineapples.  ;-)

Offline daber

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 11:22:17 AM »
I am offering uL914s on eBay under orgwood as my user name.  If anyone wants to buy some directly, I have around 200 pieces NOS.  I also have the uL923 in a slightly lesser quantity.  Yes this reply might set a new record according to length of time but consider that these ICs were made in the 1960s so they are a lot older than this thread. :smart: