Author Topic: Newbie from Colorado havin fun  (Read 3337 times)

Offline gldwight

Newbie from Colorado havin fun
« on: March 30, 2010, 12:19:49 AM »
Howdy everyone:
Name's George, another old retired guy with little money, lot's of ideas, wishes, and desires.
Not able to do a whole lot due to back problems over a 27yr battle.  Keep stroking though.
Eventually things will get done. IF not, they'll sure be waitin on me when I do get back to 'em.
Back in the mid '60's was a precision driller from #80's in gummy alum, up to 4" stuff. Then they
moved me to a sloppy old Atlas 14"x 60" or about that. After bitching long & hard
about the slop in it. They bought me a brand new Hardinge Chucker & told me to produce tight
tolerance's, or else shut up about it. After turning a pin with four eccentrics on it, about 3" long
from a 1/4x20 thd, to a 1/2" head on the other. Tol's .0002-3" for months it got where my groceries
wouldn't stay down.  Developed an ulcer at 23!!  Doc moved me to a huge old 6 position turret that
barely stayed within half inch.  Somewhere around 24"x12-14' with inch or two tools. Ran that a few
months until the plant closed down. With little kids to feed, the next job was OTR trucker 'til the marriage
ended. Eventually after giving up on trucking over ten yrs.  Went to college for welding & related. Had my
own shop awhile, then got into selling truck parts until wrecking my back & retiring on Dis at 40 in '85.
You can see I've been around a good bit.
Last summer I bought a 13x40 Enco, am loading the shop up with iron & tools.  Need a mill now.
Was looking for a vise to do milling on the lathe when running across this place. I see a good many great projects.  I make lot's of things. Welding, lathe, painting,, just about anything desired. Sorry about no pictures, scanner is messed up & won't even read a card.  Looks like I've found another great board with a good many fine folks well qualified at making these things.  Am looking fwd to spending time here, between gun, shooting, & reloading boards.  Am a widower of 6yrs looking for a new love, not many around Pueblo with the compatible interests that I've found.  Thank you, George
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:29:14 AM by gldwight »

Offline Davo J

Re: Newbie from Colorado havin fun
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 12:51:25 AM »
Welcome George  :beer:
I am sure you will fit in here just fine. :coffee:
You will soon see that
 :mmr:
Davo

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 01:37:48 AM »
Welcome to madmodders, it sound like you will fit right in here, and we're always glad to have fresh blood swarf in the group :lol:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 01:55:33 AM »
Hi George

Welcome to MadModder George. Your introduction sounds a lot like mine, jack of all trades and the bad back. Sounds like you have the desire to keep plugging away and that is the important part. You'll find that we are a friendly lot and if you have any questions, ask away. There is always someone around that will answer or at least give an opinion.  :ddb: :ddb:
We look forward to sharing your projects whatever they might be when  :proj: strikes as it surely will sooner or later.

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 08:38:29 AM »
Hie George, welcome to the collective.  :borg:

Looks and sounds like you'll fit right in.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 12:16:49 PM »
Hi George,

Welcome to the collective.  :wave:

There`s not much that someone on here doesn`t know about...... Or knows a man as does!  :thumbup:

You must sort out a camera...... Pics of what you`re up to are a must!

Enjoy!

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 11:23:52 PM »
Hey George!

welcome to the collective :borg:

As others have said... sounds like you will fit in here just fine. Would like to see some pictures of what you do.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline gldwight

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 07:51:30 AM »
Thanks for the welcome everyone.
Short sessions between breaks n naps is my speed.
Built a nice big workshop of recycled bricks made in 1941. Got 'em for the hauling.

Took me 13yrs to get the building done, still has a dirt floor.
Building is anyone's dream work shop.  Just never figured on the back doing me in.
20'x50/13'walls, 2" lam plank bench covered with 1/8" steel plate formed to fit  34' long.
3/4"x6' welding table on one end, 2'sq cutting table for torch work next to that.
W/10"x3'sq rolling scrap box makes it real handy under the cutting table.  Just carry
the turnings over & drop 'em in.

Set the lathe on the bench to save floor space.  Zoning guy hassled me saying a max of
1000's/ft in a residential area. That's total  BS!!  Wanted to make it 28'x50'.

I agree pictures are in order. Though the past ten yrs things have just piled up where there's
only one trail down the bench side and that cave's in too often.  One thing about me, I seldom
scrap metal out before it's too bad, or too small to use for something else.  Have 3' wide stantions
under the bench, four are filled with 16ga steel drawers, two sections are filled with "short pcs of steel". I don't
often need to go after more steel. When I do, always buy 100', even for a 5' job. It add's up over time.

Must have $5000 worth of steel on the racks above the bench.  I do need a good mill to match this lathe.
Then I'd be happy. Floor eventually will be heated by boiler. I have that and the line. Lack of funding is a
major hang up for all of us.

Wish you well,
George
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 07:57:01 AM by gldwight »