Author Topic: CNC Router Build Log  (Read 68300 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
CNC Router Build Log
« on: April 14, 2010, 04:07:05 AM »
Hi guys, I`m in need of some advice.....

After seeing my mate Steve’s router out of the corner of my eye one visit back during the Christmas period I`ve been frequently going on cnczone to eye these machines up. As is usually the case with the internet, and that is part of its brilliance, there are countless ways to make these and every time I`ve been close to getting started something has put me off. When my brother-in-law started to build one back a few weeks ago that just tipped me over the edge with determination and I had to make a start!!

My plan is to build a fixed gantry machine so the table with move on bearing draw slides (kindly donated by Steve - cheers mate!!) These are heavy duty draw slides and are like nothing I`ve seen before, certainly nothing at B&Q! For the other two axis I`m going to use ground 1/2″ drill rod running over home machined phos. bronze bearings. It certainly sounds good, I just hope it works!
The router will be made almost entirely out of 3/4″ MDF.

MDF Cut:

Draw Slides:

Setting up the moving table -

Trapizodal lead screw - 12mm with 3mm  pitch.

Lead screw running on bearings at either end of the bed supports:

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 04:25:42 AM by craynerd »

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
Re: CNC Router Build Log
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 04:14:14 AM »
...and this is where I need some advice if anyone could lend any?

Since the trapizodal lead screw nuts are round, I need some fixing to hold them to the table but as you can see in the picture below I don`t have much room between the bed and table. There are a few solutions I can think of, 1. Lift the bed even further but this will now only give me extra space above, between the nut and moving table but between the bed will still have no extra space. 2. Route a small - 5mm groove into the 3/4" mdf bed to give more space between bed and nut. I know this would weaken the bed but since it is 3/4" and supported in the centre under the table (I could even support it more) I can`t see it being such an issue. My initial plan was to machine some small split blocks that would clamp down on the round nut but my question.

Before I get to work on one of the above methods to give me more room and get on with my machined ally nut clamping blocks, can anyone think of a more simple solution even possibly using the current 4mm above and below the nut, that I could use to lock the nut the under side centre of the table? I just think with it being made of MDF, it seems a little OTT making ally blocks to support the nut...  any advice appreciated!

Chris

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 04:22:36 AM by craynerd »

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 04:24:50 AM »
Machine a 2mm flat on the nut and solder it to a bit of 6mm brass flat. You can then put a couple of csk holes in the brass flat and screw to the MDF.

BTW if you do find the draw slides sag a bit at the end of their stroke you can add extra balls and cages from another pair of runners, used that method on this extending table that I made.

Jason

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 04:27:30 AM »
Excellent! I did consider machining a flat on the nut but tried coming up with some contraption to clamp the nut the bed - didn`t think of that! Cheers

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 09:36:56 AM »
The drive nuts on mine are round and made from a low friction composite plastic.  They are threaded on one end so I just made some mount brackets from aluminum angle and drilled & tapped them to match the thread on the nuts.  It worked great.

Maybe you could turn one end down a bit and cut the threads in a lathe?
Milton in Tennesee

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 11:11:29 AM »
how abot sone m4/m5 taped holes in the ends and a 90deg brasket, then it could be ajusted for height with slots

is that a FT290 on the bench in the first picture, havent seen one for a long time.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 11:13:30 AM by HS93 »
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 04:41:44 PM »
Getting there - x axis now moves:

X-axis moving with a drill attached to lead screw:

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 04:43:34 PM by craynerd »

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 06:35:44 PM »
Shouldn't the countersinks have gone on the other way?  :wave:

John s.
John Stevenson

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 02:10:26 AM »
Haha, waiting for someone to pick up on that!

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 12:23:14 PM »
HS93 - sorry, just seen your question, no it is a 2m FT-480R and it looks to be just thrown carelessly on the bench!!!!  :jaw:

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 07:57:39 PM »
craynerd

How are you progressing with the CNC Router Build? Inquiring minds are curious.  :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 10:28:29 PM »
anyone know where I can get two 500mm ish slides (full extension) they need to carry a bit of weight.

thanks

peter

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 03:29:04 AM »
Hi, yea thanks for digging this one up and asking.... it works pretty good on two axis but not built the third yet. I`ve only one stepper motor and driver (currently being used on my CNC divider) and sadly I`ve just not got any spare cash £200 at present for the stepper motors and drivers needed for all three axis. So sadly money as stopped play at present on this one and then I need to get going on my clock again which is currently where my attention is lying. It will get finished ..... just need some money for stepper drivers or find some second hand ones. I`ve not been 100% commited to any projects since October last year as I`ve had another massive job to do on my house that I`ve been busy with. I`ll post pictures soon but not until it is all passed and signed off....all will be revealed soon and it will become clearer where all my time has gone over the last 9 months! Hopefully that`ll be done by September and I can get back on to finishing, my clock, CNC router, Toylander, LTD Stirling, Pen..........  :proj: :proj: :proj:

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 03:01:36 PM »
anyone know where I can get two 500mm ish slides (full extension) they need to carry a bit of weight.

thanks

peter
Will these do ? http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=428496&Trail=searchtext%3EDRAWER+SLIDE
I'm going to order some to make some draws under my lathe bench
Jason

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 03:49:33 PM »
These are the ones I used although didn`t buy them, someone off here kindly donated them  :headbang:

Liberty Ball Bearing Full Extension Drawer Slide : http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9281452&fh_view_size=10&fh_start_index=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=ball+bearing&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts=1279655253382&isSearch=true

Heavy duty, very sturdy and absolutely top notch.

Chris

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 08:40:54 AM »

thanks

peter
Will these do ? http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=428496&Trail=searchtext%3EDRAWER+SLIDE
I'm going to order some to make some draws under my lathe bench

Thank you for that But I have just got some from a company called SDS (London) they will take 120KG so will cary the weight I need

Peter