Author Topic: Rolling Sheet Metal Into Cylinders  (Read 6241 times)

Offline 75Plus

Rolling Sheet Metal Into Cylinders
« on: April 08, 2010, 10:27:15 PM »
I need a way to roll 1 1/4" wide strips of 20 ga., (.035") mild steel into cylinders ranging in size from 1" to 2 3/8" in 1/8" increments. The seams will be welded forming tubes.

I think I need a very small slip roll. Does anyone have plans or drawings for such a device?

Joe
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 10:29:14 PM by 75Plus »

Offline Joe d

Re: Rolling Sheet Metal Into Cylinders
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 11:38:05 PM »
75Plus

Don't know if this would fit your needs, Feb '66 Popular Mechanics here

If you go for it, let us know how it works out.... I've been thinking about deciding to need one  :proj:

Cheers, Joe

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • Software For People Who Build Things
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 11:25:50 AM »
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 02:13:37 PM »
Thanks Marv,

That is a possibility. Their design is adaptable to modification to better suit my purposes. I am already collecting materials and thoughts how to use them. I will start a thread in "Project Logs"

Joe

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 11:09:30 PM »
Joe, a number of the sizes you need are commercially available.  For instance, 1", 1.125", 1.25", 1.375" and 1.5" tube all in .035" wall are all common sizes in 4130.  This would be a LOT easier than trying to roll tube as small as one inch diameter.

Not trying to say you shouldn't do this as a project, but if you are making something for sale, like your other accessories, it would sure keep your time investment down.

Dean
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 10:34:49 AM »
Joe, a number of the sizes you need are commercially available.  For instance, 1", 1.125", 1.25", 1.375" and 1.5" tube all in .035" wall are all common sizes in 4130.  This would be a LOT easier than trying to roll tube as small as one inch diameter.

I have tried locating a single source for all the sizes and was not successful. Also buying small quantities and paying cutting charges along with shipping costs can get to be expensive. Couple that with the space required to store the tubes until they are used up plus having to cut and true up each piece as they are needed makes "roll my own" seem like a better solution. It also gives me a project to work on.

Materials gathering goes on as does designing. More later.

Joe