Author Topic: Saving an old worker  (Read 8386 times)

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
Saving an old worker
« on: April 13, 2010, 12:28:29 PM »
I just got donated a shaper which was probably put together in the late 1800s, and was destined for the scrap yard, till I spoke up.  It's been sitting in a shed since I was in high school, sitting out in the open since the shed blew down six years ago in a hurricane, but within hours of it being delivered to my shop, every moving part was free, and the worst damage I can find is a broken tooth on the bull gear, which is easily repaired, and with the gear about two feet in diameter, ought to be an easy repair.  It has a twelve inch stroke, a box table which is removeable, and a T slot face with the box off, so odd pieces can be shaped off flat.  It has a "Y" yoke connecting the operating lever to the ram, so a shaft can be put on the table, and a slot shaped down the entire length of it, with the shaft poking through the body of the shaper and out the back end.  It looks to be a cosmetic rebuild more than anything else, and will add greatly to my shop.

Here's a side view with the clapper box removed and the box table removed, showing the general size and shape of the machine

looking over the table at the end of the ram, this was not cleaned, but is this clean after just removing the clapper box and down feed.

a look at the side rail, must be old because it's got square ways, and not dovetails

the clapper box and down feed, the clapper is free but tight, the down feed surface rusted, but little or no pitting, should clean up fine.

you've got to have a box to put the parts in, so you can wonder where they go a month from now.
I can't wait to have it down to stripping the old paint, and starting to re-assemble, I'm looking forward to putting it to use. :thumbup: :clap:  mad jack

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
Re: Saving an old worker
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 12:57:33 PM »
What a fantastic find, Jack  :clap: :clap:

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with it.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 01:40:20 PM »
Brilliant .... I do love these types of posts .... nothing like saving and resurrecting an old machine.

It's been said many times before ... you just can't buy this quality new today.

I'll be watching this one  :thumbup:

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 01:40:29 PM »
Great find Jack

I think after years of neglect that old shaper has found a good home.

Enjoy the rebuild

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 03:06:04 PM »
Nice find Mad jack. I'm a bit envious. I'm looking for a shaper, although a small one.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline websterz

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 03:07:08 PM »
I am absolutely GREEN with envy!
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 06:51:11 PM »
That's great Jack.  It's a fine thing to rescue a machine like that from the scrappers.  Not to mention having a new metal muncher in your shop!

Dean
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline Gadget

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 08:10:54 PM »
Excellent save Mad Jack.
I plan on making one myself but if I could find on like that I would get it in a heartbeat.
Dan

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 10:58:35 AM »
Thanks for all the great comments, there is nothing like getting the chance to save an old worker, and get to use them as they were meant to be used.  I've let about three big shapers go in good working order because they were too big for my shop at the time, and too big for me to move.  I wasn't about to let this one escape.  My first priority is getting it down to the bull gear, so the real repair can be done, and from there, it is a matter of cleaning off old paint, rust, and covering it up nice, and getting all the flat parts flat, and in line with each other.  Just got to get some work done, so I get to play again for a while! :headbang: mad jack

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 10:40:40 PM »
Nice find and great save!  :thumbup:

Now we are talking... This is being green... reuse and recycle :)

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline villiers

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 01:41:13 AM »
I've been attending a local tech school to use their machine shop for years. They have a shaper and I've been the only user for a long time. A couple of years back the school rejigged the workshop and moved some of the machinery around with the shaper ending up  stuck in a corner up the back of the shop and never returned to use. I can't persuade the instructor to put it back in commission and can't persuade himt to sell it to me either. Very frustrating!!