Author Topic: 302 V-8 running improvements  (Read 7394 times)

Offline gbritnell

302 V-8 running improvements
« on: April 15, 2010, 12:32:21 PM »
 First off I have to apologize for not posting anything on my 302 V-8 engine previously. Thinking that I had, I went searching for my postings and realized that there wasn't anything.
 I guess at this point a little history is in order. When I worked at Ford as a metal patternmaker there was talk about discontinuing the 302 V-8. Being as I had access to the engineering drawings for the iron castings that we made I decided to start building one at 1/3 scale. The block, water pump, valve covers, oil pan and bellhousing are all made from aluminum. The crank is iron, the cam is drill rod and the intake was made in two pieces of brass and silver soldered together. This was the only way to get the runners and water passages formed without making castings. The pistons have 3 rings, 2 compression and 1 oil ring. The engine has complete water cooling from the block, through the heads and intake manifold and back to the radiator. It has a full pressure oil system feeding through the block and drilled crank.
 The build time was approximately 3 years with about 2000 hours. The main reason for all the time was sculpting all the pieces to make them look like castings. Internally and externally it replicates a 302 almost perfectly.
 When I first finished it it would run but not as well as I would have liked. I fooled with it over the years but got frustrated chasing one issue after another. You have to remember that this was in the mid 70's so the network of information was not like it is today.
 When I got it to run to some degree I polished it up and put it in my display case moving on to other projects. It wasn't until some time last year that a friend of mine urged me to go back and rework it as I had so much success with my other projects.
 The first thing was a redesign of the distributor. Originally it had a small set of points inside and due to the scale size I couldn't get enough lift from the cam to open them very wide. The next design was still a points system but totally different from standard practice. Although it worked better it still had problems. At this point the frustration started to set in as I didn't know if it was all ignition or carburetion. This final iteration of the distributor was to go with a Hall effect trigger using a vane window disc similar to full sized practice.
 The engine would start and run but was still having problems. I had set the timing at about 10 degrees thinking that I didn't want to put too much into it to begin with. As I was cranking it over and adjusting the carb to get it to fire somewhat cleanly I grabbed the distributor and cranked it around. At that point the engine came to life but it was turned so far that I knew the rotor had to be way off the proper pin so I shut it down, pulled the cap, checked the timing, moved the rotor and gave it another try. I had found that the timing was now up to about 35 degrees but the engine was happy with that setting.
 This is the video of all that work.
I'm going to remake the carb to resemble a full size carb but don't have time between now and the large model engineering show coming up so I'll just have to run it like it is for now.
George

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: 302 V-8 running improvements
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 12:52:25 PM »
George,

This is the first time I have seen your engine........ It`s a wonderful piece of work!  :thumbup:

Well done......  :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 01:33:26 PM »
That is truly a work of art  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: and a sweet sound too :thumbup: :thumbup:

I would love to see some more of this engine, do you have any close up pics? ( wait for it   :worthless:  :lol: )

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 03:50:33 PM »
Hi Tim,
When I built this thing there weren't such things as digital cameras. At least not for public use. The only pictures I have from the early build were taken with my 35mm camera. I have since scanned them and have a few others added. There are some with it all apart on my workbench and others that I have since taken. Here's the link to my Photobucket account.
George
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v43/gbritnell/302%20FORD%20V8/

Offline MikeA

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 04:31:12 PM »
George,

Wow! Just looked at the shots in the photobucket account and this is simply amazing. If other objects weren't present in the photos, one would think it was a full sized engine!

Best,
Mike
'Better is the enemy of good enough!'

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 06:09:50 PM »
Lovely George. I love that sound too. Sounds so deep, not like the pitched wine of a model engine.

The history behind it is nice to.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 08:58:03 PM »
 :jaw: :jaw:

Dumb founded for words. Wow, just wow  :bow:

Eric
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 10:30:50 AM by Brass_Machine »
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 02:10:28 AM »
Thankyou very much for the link to the photos, absolutely awesome :jaw: :jaw: :jaw: :jaw: :jaw: :jaw: :jaw: :jaw: :jaw:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME