Author Topic: A question for the Eastside of the pond members,ash fall and other things.  (Read 4678 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Just caught the talking heads on the a news channel, so I flipped thru the 3 cable networks here in the US. All about the same predicting disruption of air travel and life in general for the next six months. Not to mention the hinting of dire things to come  :doh:

Of  course they had video of ash covering cars, roads etc. None bothered to say where, the video was from. After all if the video is from Iceland, they can't scare the rest of the world.

Are you experiencing ash fall yet or or having the clouds of airborne material drifting over the countryside? and are your media mavens, starting to do the chicken little routine yet?  :bugeye:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
Here's a photo just taken out of the window here in Manchester (which is roughly level with the top of Wales on the map). As you can see, the sky is so thick with dust that at 5.45pm it's like midnight, and I'm choking to death with the acrid fumes  :lol: :lol:

I did hear a report that a little dust had settled in the northernmost parts of the UK last night, but whether that is due to the volcano or to poor housekeeping, I shouldn't like to say.

But patches of dust are up there. A few planes are getting in and out of Scottish and N. Irish airports now, but basically all English airports are closed, as are those from Paris up into Scandinavia and across to the Ukraine.

Had I been scheduled to fly today, I would have been glad to be grounded. The idea of jet engines inhaling dust which includes fine glass and other goodies at 30,000 feet isn't at all appealing.

Andy

PS The leaves haven't fallen from my trees - ash is always slow to awake in spring.

Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
My carport roof, now........ No rain for 2 weeks, or so.

Not a deal of dust either!  ::)

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Maybe it's a treat in store ... happened before ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laki_(volcano)

EDIT  for some reason the link does not pick up the last ) so you'll have to do the 'did you mean bit' for Laki volcano.

'Consequences for Europe' bit is interesting ... folk snuffing it with SO2 poisoning,  also caused severe cold in North America.

I seem to remember a TV programme about it some years ago. Maybe BBC Timewatch or similar.

Bet that's cheered you up a bit ...  :D

No charge, all part of the service.  :D  :D  :D

Dave BC
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 04:33:13 PM by Bluechip »
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Well in the East Midlands I have to report that the sky is very dark, whether that is to do with the volcano or the fact it's 10:00pm I'll have to leave to the experts.

We are on the flight path for East Midlands International so while they are all grounded I have spent today moving machines around so when they start flying again they will have to recalibrate all their compass's  :lol:

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Ooooooooer ... Dark Sky ......

Ragnarok maybe ???

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
...... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laki_(volcano) ..... 'Consequences for Europe' bit is interesting ... folk snuffing it with SO2 poisoning,  also caused severe cold in North America.Bet that's cheered you up a bit ...  :D

Oh yes, cheered me up no end  :med:

♫ Always look on the bright si-ide of life ♫

Cough cough cough cough.....

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Ok so people didn't cause it,

and then that means if we will be getting the volcano equivalent of nuclear winter. Global warming is off  :doh:

It was just the cable news talking heads here are making it sound as it the start of the end of the world. With no more flights over the EU and England and the other norther countries. So I guess, it's time to start building some of the ocean liners again for cross Atlantic transport.  :D

As somebody once famous once said and they taught us in school, but can't remember the name. "This to shall Pass"

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.

As somebody once famous once said and they taught us in school, but can't remember the name. "This too shall Pass"

Earnest Crabshaw, 15 June 1984 after 5 bratwurst and a vindaloo consumed at the Star of India and Munich, mile end road East London.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Sounds about right  :thumbup:

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen