Author Topic: Building a Boiler for a 3 1/2" Gauge Locomotive  (Read 115893 times)

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Building a Boiler for a 3 1/2" Gauge Locomotive
« Reply #225 on: July 10, 2011, 08:37:41 AM »
Did you put a clack on each side of the barrel then stew or still using the right hand one on the back head? Thought I'd missed somethign  :doh: Are you using the bush on the left side of the back head as the water gauge bush then? Is that in it's original position or is it really the clack position? Presume you'll have to make up some sort of elbow joint to connect to the top one too then? Am just mulling over what to ask for if I do  get a professionally made boiler.

Cheers

Nick

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #226 on: July 10, 2011, 11:25:25 AM »

Nick I put a clack on both sides of the barrel.

The bush on the left hand side will be the water gauge.

Yes there will be an elbow at the top.

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #227 on: July 11, 2011, 05:59:09 AM »
Ok, cheers Stew sounds more sensible. I believe there are certain regulations now that your water gauge must have a blow down, valves must be captive - have you done the blower valve yet? and something with the Safety valve has changed? Also, we have to have the working pressure marked on the inside of the pressure gauge. I'll try to find out these little intricies tomorrow night at the club.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #228 on: July 11, 2011, 07:01:23 AM »
I believe there are certain regulations now that your water gauge must have a blow down, valves must be captive - have you done the blower valve yet? and something with the Safety valve has changed? Also, we have to have the working pressure marked on the inside of the pressure gauge. I'll try to find out these little intricies tomorrow night at the club.

Yes thats my understanding of the water gauge as well.

No I don't think I have but I have a box of bits that I made some time ago and I can't remember whats in their.

Don't know abiut the safety valve I was going to buy one just take the uncertainty out of it.

Yes the gauge has to be marked I've peeped over the inspectors shoulders when he's checked a couple of boilers and that one thing he looks for.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #229 on: July 11, 2011, 03:48:20 PM »
Beautiful work Stew.. I obviously missed this build sofar.. beautiful work!

Scott
SPiN Racing