Author Topic: Light Up an X2 Mill  (Read 6328 times)

Offline 75Plus

Light Up an X2 Mill
« on: April 23, 2010, 08:45:05 PM »
This project started with an Aldi's offer of a LED umbrella light for $8.62 (£5.60) tax included. I had been considering the use of LED's for illuminating the work piece on my X2 mill for some time so this got me moving on the project.

The light has a total of 28 LED's which switch on 4, 24 or all 28 by successive operations of the switch. It will attach to a round object of up to 1 3/4" in diameter. Here is what it looks like.

I measured the spindle of the mill at 1.600" so I knew I would be able to adapt the light with no problem. The first step was to remove the bearing cover from around the spindle to get some idea of how to proceed. I found a recess in the cover 55mm in diameter and 5mm deep. This would be my starting point. I looked around my scrap box and found a bit of 2" schedule 160 pipe that would do the job nicely. For our International members schedule 160 2" pipe has an OD of 2.375" and .437" wall thickness leaving an ID of approx. 1.500". This pipe is used in extreme pressure applications in steam plants and in hydraulics.

Here is the sleeve I came up with. The overall length is 1.625". I started with 2.375" flange that was .030" thick. Next to that was a diameter of 2.160" X .200" wide. I further reduced the diameter to 1.800" for a width of .660". The next .750" was reduced to 1.720". I then increased the diameter to 1.800" again. This reduction and increase in diameter was to keep the light assembly located below the arbor of the intermediate gear and also keep the unit from slipping off. I then bored it to 1.625". It looks like this.

This view shows the fit below the bearing cap.

Does it work? You can be the judge. These views were taken with no other lights on in the shop and without any flash.

Here are more pictures of the project because....... :worthless:

Top view mounted.

This is with 24 LED's illuminated, note the streaks of light on the chuck.

A rather poor shot of the sleeve without the light attached.

Here is the light opened to show the spring loaded centering pads. I have found that by having these pads spring loaded they absorb any vibration when running.

If I were to do this project again I would change one thing. I would eliminate the .030" flange and about .010" of the next diameter. I would then press fit the sleeve into the bearing cap.This would allow clearance for the shield/seal on the bearing. As it is now I had to cut a small relief it the flange and recess the flange into the cap.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 10:29:15 PM by 75Plus »

Offline cidrontmg

Re: Light Up an X2 Mill
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 10:03:35 PM »
Nice! To be copied asap - but no Aldi in Portugal. :scratch:
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 11:19:35 PM »
Going to Aldi tomorrow to see if my local has one of these! Nice job on the light.  :dremel:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

tumutbound

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 01:51:52 AM »
I hope these lights have made it to Aldi down under!

I have one of the UFO lights from eBay but never got around to modifying it to fit. Your solution looks a lot easier.
I've measured the MT3 spindle in my X2 and it's the same same as you've measured (I'm assuming that you have an R8 spindle as
these seem to be more popular in the US)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 11:55:27 AM by tumutbound »

Offline P.J

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 11:29:27 AM »
For the Aldi-deprived folks out there...
Here's what I used on my X2. clickyclick (free worldwide shipping).
Had to use a dremel to enlarge the hole in the centre. Added 3 neodumbNeodymniumNeoArgh! magnets to the inside using doublesided tape to hold the thing to the mill head.

Offline 75Plus

Re: Light Up an X2 Mill (Up Date)
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 08:56:13 PM »
I found that using this light was fine for working with a drill chuck and end mill holders, however, if you use a collet to hold the tool bit the size of the light makes it difficult see the work piece.

Still needing the light to see the work piece clearly I have switched to "Plan B". I am getting the parts together for smaller light that will be made from scratch. Once I work out all the details I will start a thread in the "How To" forum.

Joe

Offline JimM

• Chessington, Surrey
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 06:52:00 AM »
Aldi UK have umbrella lights this Sunday, a different design by the looks of things but may be able to be adapted

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_13977.htm

Jim