Author Topic: Durability of hard silver solder?  (Read 4175 times)

Offline websterz

Durability of hard silver solder?
« on: April 28, 2010, 01:31:52 AM »
I am rebuilding an older Barnett crossbow and I need to repair some wear damage to the sear. All of the trigger components are made from mild steel and have grooves worn in them. Ideally I would replicate all the damaged components in something more durable but there are some pretty complex parts to deal with. How well would hard silver solder likely hold up as a contact surface on the sear? Anyone ever done anything like this?
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Durability of hard silver solder?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 04:58:19 AM »
I made a copy of the Barnet when I was in school.

Metal in the metal work class and the stock in the woodwork class ....  :)

Imagine doing that today .....  :jaw:

It worked fine, still have it, but the trigger mech made from mild steel didn't last long before it ripped apart. Mind you I did stick a 150 prod on it.  :zap:

That reminds me, I have another Barnet in good knick in the shed, trouble is these days is taking it out and using it in the UK, far cry from making it as a school boy in class 30yrs ago .... how things have changed....
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)