Author Topic: Big Job on a Small Mill  (Read 10075 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Big Job on a Small Mill
« on: April 28, 2010, 06:19:48 AM »
For those of that think their tool is on the small side  :)

Got to hand it to the chap who calls himself "Ringer" over on here
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=41178 :bow: :bow: :bow:

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline chuck foster

Re: Big Job on a Small Mill
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 07:23:38 AM »
now thats using you head!!!!
thanks for the vid darren  :clap:

chuck :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 09:42:37 AM »
That's very interesting. Shows and individuals inventiveness.

But, line boring like that is nothing new under the sun. The steam locomotive builders did something similar. They would bolt what was called a spider to the ends of the cyclinder that would hold a boring bar and they would bore out the cyclinders.

I wish I could find a photo of the procedure. I do have a write up some where of the device used. When I find it I'll post a pic.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline SKIPRAT

• Gainsborough Lincolnshire England
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 06:24:24 PM »
Hi Darren

great idea the principle has been used for  many years  the video brought back memories of a few years ago when i worked at a steelworks in nearby scunthorpe on the maintenence side and we had a similar device. It used a similar bar on a "portable boring machine" it was powered by an elctric motor and reduction gearbox mounted on the end of the bar and was used to line bore bushes on the plant when it was too costly to dismantle machinery to do the job ( downtime is costly in a production enviorment) i usually ended up doing the job on nightshift .I have done a similar job on my own lathe recently with the job mounted and packed up on a table bolted to the cross slide the boring bar between centres driven with a lathe dog and catchplate and the feed supplied by the saddle. There are a lot of old practices out there with regards to unusual machine setups and work arounds that are slowly being lost in the mists of time as sadly machining becomes a dying art .

Cheers Paul   :beer:  :beer: 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 06:39:04 PM by SKIPRAT »
One Mans Junk Is Another Man's Treasure G6FOW

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 09:29:14 AM »
There are a lot of old practices out there with regards to unusual machine setups and work arounds that are slowly being lost in the mists of time as sadly machining becomes a dying art .

Cheers Paul   :beer:  :beer: 

That's why we such wonderful forums such as this to keep that knowledge alive and it's world wide.  :nrocks: :beer: :ddb:  :mmr:

Bernd

Offline duckman

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 10:53:27 AM »
Did the same thing on a Betts Farrel VBM with a 12' table they spun a bearing in the gear box, main input shaft, they had estimates of upwards of $50,000.00 to fix it, disassemble machine, take gear box to shop, repair the bore, reinstall box, and about 8 to 12 weeks to fix. I was sent down to check out the job came back and told the owner that I could have it running in 1 week, quote " he said prove it " made stand off bearing plates, used 2 1/2" TGP shaft, offset drilled for tool bit, turned end of shaft to 3/4" to fit in the chuck of our Milwaukee vari speed drill, took 3 days to get everything ready, 1 1/2 hours to bore over size, there machine shop made a bushing for the job, installed bushing put in 3 dutch men rebored the bushing for the new bearing, reassembled the gear box, test ran, passed with flying colors. I didn't get a bonus for it just a couple of atta boys. the over all cost of the repair was a hair under $4,000.00. Oh by the way it did take 6 days total.

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 12:35:35 PM »
now thats was cool . im sure glad i get to see stuff like this.  my brain needs more food :mmr:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 05:52:11 PM »
Nice one Duckman.

I think you should have at least gotten a $4 grand bonus for that. They still saved alot of money.

Bernd

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 06:04:43 PM »
You are missing the whole point.
He didn't have a portable boring machine, or an electric motor and gearbox.

He used a milling machine he already had, sat it on the floor and used that as a prime mover.

We know line boring isn't new but this application is.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 07:59:50 PM »
Well put John... the chap deserved a  :clap: at least
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)