Author Topic: The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding  (Read 5734 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding
« on: August 31, 2008, 06:53:28 AM »
The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding
by the J F Lincoln Arc Welding Foundation
Hardcover, 14th edition
copyright©2000
more than 1,600,000 in print
J F Lincoln Foundation site https://ssl.lincolnelectric.com/foundation/store.asp?PID=16&cat=8

This is the last of the James F Lincoln Arc Welding Foundation welding books I have. As they say I have saved the best for last. When they say they do it for arc welding education, after looking at and through this book. Nobody can say they do it for the money.

For $25.00 you can have what today would be call the Wikipedia of welding with the added benefit that you don't have to wonder if the entries are correct or not. Recently revised edition over 750 pages, diagrams, photos and charts.
Plus an amazing reference section with the answers to questions that seem to come up over and over again on the forums. You could have a finger tip access to the answers, no matter what time of day or night you need them.

It is set up in a section/chapters with the various sub heading given their own sub sections with as many pages as needed to cover the material. With black and white photo's, all the charts and diagrams, along with the weldabiltiy charts of various thickness of material, with the rod type, joint, styles and machine settings.
Contents:

* Introduction and fundamentals
    * Designing for arc welding
    * Variables in welding fabrication
    * Consumables and machinery and robots for welding
    * Welding processes
    * Welding carbon and low alloy steels
    * Welding stainless steel
    * Welding cast iron and cast steel
    * Welding aluminum and aluminum alloys
    * Welding copper and copper alloys
    * Quality control
    * Welding costs
    * Special applications
    * Installation and maintenance
    * Safety in welding
    * Reference section and index

I have found that from the questions asked that the reference section alone would be worth the cost of the book. Granted it isn't the type you sit down and read cover to cover unless, you are trapped inside by a storm and the internet is out.

It is one though that when you start to read the information you were looking for, you find your self going beyond the area.

I have to say it is in the top biggest bang for your buck working welding books. Whether you are a hobbyist, metal artist or working daily weldor/fabricator. Along with these:

* Welding Essentials
    * Welding Fabrication and Repair
    * The Miller student package
    * Metals and how to weld them
    * Gas Tungsten Arc Welding Handbook by WH Minnick

For the cost of less then most cases of beer or 2 1/2 packs of cigarettes cost around here. It is the buy of the year.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen